The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 21, 2021, 09:30 PM   #1
wachtelhund1

Teslong Bore Scope

About two years ago I purchased a bore scope off Amazon for less than $50.00. At that price, I wasn't expecting much, but I was surprised at the quality and what I could see. It was very easy to see where copper was stuck to the rifling and where it wasn't. Easy to see rough rifling or rust. I had one 25-20 100 year old rifle that I shot cast bullets out of it. I knew there wasn't much rifling left. But after cleaning the barrel and looking through it with this bore scope, I didn't see any rifling. I had the bore relined. They say you get what you pay for. In this case this Teslong Bore scope was well worth the money spent. My rifles are no longer put away with copper build up.

By the way it gets plugged into your computer.
Old August 22, 2021, 01:12 PM   #2
stagpanther

Quality is relative to what you're looking for--take a look through a Hawkeye (I have both) and you might revise your opinion. But for a bargain price--it is an excellent value AND--by far it's biggest selling point IMO--you can easily take pictures with it of your bore.
Old August 22, 2021, 03:17 PM   #3
jpx2rk

Depending on your "needs" and such, the Teslong is a good value, and can give the owner a good look at how good their cleaning procedures are.
Old August 23, 2021, 12:15 PM   #4
wachtelhund1

Stagpanther; I agree the Hawkeye is a much better bore scope, but it cost too much the the average shooter - $800.00 ? Compared to this $47.00 unit which will easily tell the average shoot when their barrel is copper fowled or not, or rusted.
Old August 28, 2021, 08:53 AM   #5
std7mag

I'd agree, a borescope is good in some instances.
Just don't put it down a Savage barrel!

And i really couldn't care less about copper "fouling"!
I shake my head every time i hear it.
Ya take all that time & effort to get every speck of copper out.
Then you go to a match, and what is the first thing you do?

Shoot a couple of "fouler" shots to put copper back in so it shoots right.

Ludicrist!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old August 28, 2021, 04:05 PM   #6
wachtelhund1

I don't spend a lot of time getting copper fowling out. I have an old Otters Fowl Out System and clean the barrel by electrolysis, some times over night. After that I swab the barrel with a brush two or three times, then two or three passes with Bore Tech and its done. Fowling shots are for cleaning the barrel of oil.
Old August 28, 2021, 09:33 PM   #7
RC20

The Lyman Borescope does a good job as well.

For copper, Bore Tech Eliminator works nicely. No haz non odor and extremely effective.

While my barrels are custom on Savage actions (for the most part) none of the hunting guns I service for a brother have any copper in them now either (the 1903 Sporter shoots and honest 1 1/4 all day long, the Sako 270 will shoot 3/4 groups.

Only if copper replates do you need to shoot the fouling shots though I agree a fouling shot may help if you have a very clean barrel.

If copper plates again then you have a rough section of barrel and that would be normal and you don't benefit from getting it out.

Carbon is the biggest issue in my barrels and the Carbon Killer 2000 (also non haz and no odor) works wonderfully for that (I clean the barrels while they are still warm at the range).

I keep my target barrels clean, 50 rounds max and they get cleaned (which is about the maximum I shoot out of a given gun on any day).
Old August 29, 2021, 01:57 AM   #8
wachtelhund1

I also use Carbon Killer 2000.