The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 7, 2019, 05:12 AM   #1
327 FM

FNS 9 vs FN 509

Which one of those two models do you like best?
Old August 7, 2019, 07:04 AM   #2
AgedWarrior

Personally, I prefer the FNX-9 over either of them.
Old August 7, 2019, 07:12 PM   #3
Walt Sherrill

I have three FNS: an FNS-40 (for which I also got a 9mm conversion barrel), and FNS-40L, and an FNS-9c. I got all three in trade, and the FNS-40L came with some gunsmithing done, and I like it best. The FNS-40 is similar in size to the Glock 19, and the FNS-40L (same frame) has a slide similar in lenght to the Glock 17. I'm less enthused about the FNS-9c, but most members of the FN Forum love it!

All three were returned for an optional* factory recall (at FN- and given a new striker design. They were out and back in a little more than a week and a half! The FN-509 shares the same striker assembly -- it is a slightly revised version of the FNS.
*With the original striker design, it was possible to have an accidental discharge the slide if was pressed against a hard surface (causing it to move a little) then returned to the starting position. That movement apparently overrode the the striker safety. There's more info available on the FN-America website and a YouTube video from the people who first found the problem.
Except for the YouTube story, I've never heard of a accidental discharge from a gun using the original striker. But...

A few of the newly redesigned strikers have failed, but we don't know yet whether this was a quirk of rushing a new part into production, or whether the new design (MIM) has a quirk. Many folks who have gotten the upgraded striker have NOT had problems. But some FNS and FN-509 owners have had striker failures. (All repaired quickly and returned to the owners at FN-America expense.) FN is considered one of the outstanding arms makers, and this sort of problem is very unusual.

APEX has introduced a new machined, stainless striker, but they are so new we've not seen any reports on how they are doing or whether they'll have their own quirks. (Apex just started shipping in the last few days.)

A lot of folks like the FNS line -- I'm one of them -- but the FNX-45 is a very popular gun, too. Unlike most polymer-framed guns, they actually feel like a real metal-framed gun in your hand.

Given the unknowns associated with the new striker (either original, replacement, or Apex-design), I think I'd give some thought to the FNX-45 or FNX-45T (Tactical), or just wait a while before getting an FNS or FN-509.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; August 7, 2019 at 07:18 PM.
Old August 7, 2019, 07:34 PM   #4
327 FM

Thanks Walt
Old August 7, 2019, 09:03 PM   #5
TunnelRat

If you wanted to stay in 9mm or 40SW you could also get an FNX in those calibers. You don't ha e to go to 45ACP.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old August 8, 2019, 06:26 AM   #6
dontcatchmany

I also have three FN guns. FNX45, FNX40 and FNS40. The 40s have barrels for 357 Sig and 9mm as well as magazines for each barrel.

The FNS 40 was/is my first striker gun

And just last week (after several years of ownership) I got an IWB holster for the 40s.

I usually carry a Shield 45 or Shield 40, but with the IWB the FNS or FNX 40 will get their share i n the daily carry rotation.

All three guns and the Shields are of exceptional quality and much, much better than the Gluck I have....why I purchased that gun I do not know. YUK!

Do not know anything about the 509 because I never have been interested in a gun that is solely a 9mm. But, if FNH makes it You will get a good gun.
Old August 8, 2019, 09:31 AM   #7
Pukindog12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRa7lMUkmPE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyLFqgyLH-Y
Old August 8, 2019, 09:52 AM   #8
Siggy-06

I have an FNS-40. It's light for it's size, agressive grip stippling, has replaceable backstraps, points and shoots good. I got the stainless slide for a little extra corrosion resistance here in FL.

I also have a USP in .40 and a Glock 23 to compare the FNS to. It shoots just as good as them, though the grip texture on the FNS will be a bit rougher on my hands, though not a con really if my hands were wet or greasy.
Old August 8, 2019, 10:13 AM   #9
Walt Sherrill

Apparently, according to comments on the FN Forum, Apex has recalled their new "heavy duty" striker. They know what they did wrong (it's machined) and they'll have an improved model out shortly.

They did something to further reduce the possibility to have an accidental discharge and acknowledge that they went a bit too far -- and did something that caused problems (but not a "destructive" problem.)

Again, I'd wait until their striker issues are resolved, or go to an FNX .40 (or .45).

As someone siad, above, my two FNS-40s are the best-shooting .40s I've owned. I'm not ready to give them up. And I've not had problems with strikers. So I'll stick with them (and upgrade to a new striker once I'm sure 1) I need one, and 2) the replacement is reliable.)

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; August 12, 2019 at 09:14 AM.
Old August 12, 2019, 09:13 AM   #10
Walt Sherrill

Here's a copy of the email sent out to a number of the FN Forum members who have recently purchased the FN Heavy Duty Striker for their FNS or FN-509 weapons. Some have already received the strikers!

I'm sure the problem embarrassed APEX, but they directly addressed the problem and told users before users told them. I have high regard for Apex.
Good Afternoon,

You’re receiving this email today because you’re one of our customers who pre-ordered our Heavy-Duty Striker for the FN 509 series pistols. I want to say thank you for your faith in our products and for being our customer. Apex is known for top quality products and unsurpassed customer service and it is our intent to keep it that way.

We found an issue with our Heavy-Duty Strikers for the FN 509 just yesterday afternoon right after USPS left with the first batch of strikers. The issue has to do with the striker blocking surface being in the wrong location. In our efforts to assure that our striker is absolutely drop safe, we may have gone a bit too far with that safety surface to the point that in just the right circumstance/combination of parts, the striker block will not fully disengage and the striker may fail to dimple the primer sufficiently to fire a round.

Not to worry, we’ve put our considerable engineering talents to work to identify and resolve the issue and we have a solution which we’ve already thoroughly tested and proven out.
We’re requesting all customers who have received a striker, not install them but instead return them to us for immediate replacement. You will be receiving an email from our Customer Service Staff shortly with an RMA for the striker/strikers you purchased as well as a pre-paid USPS Shipping label for return.

We will be replacing strikers for customers in the order they are returned. We expect to have enough updated strikers on hand to replace all of those shipped out by the time the original strikers arrive back hereat Apex World Command.

I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you and we want to make it as right as possible for all our customers.

If you have any questions about this or any other matter, don’t hesitate to contact our Customer Service Staff.
Sincerely.
Scott Folk - COO
Old August 12, 2019, 10:03 AM   #11
Longhorn1986

I have a 509 and a FNX-45. I have shot untold rounds through the 509 with ZERO issues. A few pistols may have had some striker problems, but mine as run flawlessly since I bought it in late 2017. Truth be told, I prefer my FNX though, for two reasons: A) I prefer .45acp to 9mm (no caliber debate here. just my own personal preference) and B) I tend to shoot TDA pistols much better than I do striker-fired.

I take the complaining on the FN forum with a grain of salt. Yes, there were a few minor issues, but like so many other complaints (Sig P320 drop issue, Kimber MIM parts, etc) it is for the most part. much ado about nothing.
Old August 15, 2019, 08:54 AM   #12
GamestopDorito

I have the same guns as Longhorn. I prefer the FNX-45 to the 509 but only because I prefer the 45 to 9mm. I have zero complaints about the 509 and would trust it with my life. No misfires or feed problems, nothing. I've only put about 800 rounds through it, so I can't comment on longevity.
Old August 19, 2019, 06:38 PM   #13
the45er

I own 20 semi-automatic pistols. Sort of collect 1911's but I gotta tell ya, if my life was on the line and the only salvation was a pistol in my right hand, of the guns I own, I think I'd choose my FNX-40. It's the one by my bedside. Accurate, dependable and lots of rounds!
Old August 20, 2019, 04:03 PM   #14
totaldla

The FNS-line in 40SW is on sale for $299/free shipping at Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore. I don't own one, but if I needed another $300 40SW pistol this would seem to be a good deal. I like the G23-sized the best.
Old August 20, 2019, 09:13 PM   #15
Walt Sherrill

I have three FNS semi-autos: an FNS-40, and FNS-40 L(ong slide), and an FNS-9c. I like them all.

FN needs to get more of their handguns in U.S. civilian hands, to reestablish their reputation. I wouldn't be surprised if FN-America (and FN-Herstal) are phasing out the FNS line and beginning to push the FN509, which is basically an IMPROVED FNS model. Closing out so selling the FNS line at bargain basement prices -- they are now made in the U.S. -- is a way to do it!!

If my, guess is right, we'll probably soon an FNS compact. They already have an FN509 Tactical model with a much larger capacity (24 round) model, and a slightly smaller model (15 rounds.)

FN has a long and distinguished history of highly regarded weapons, many of which were created for FN by John M. Browning. His coworker and assistant at FN until JMB's death, Dieudonné Saive, was almost as creative as JMB and arguably was a lessor genius of gun design in his own right. He was responsible for finishing the FN/Browning Hi-Power design, and for developed the first really reliabile double-stack magazine.

I won't rush out to get a FN509, ans I've seen no reason to get rid of my FNS guns. (I have 9mm conversion barrel for my FNS-40 from EFK-Firedragon, and I think the FNS barrel and mags also work in the FNX models of the same size.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; August 21, 2019 at 01:35 PM.
Old August 20, 2019, 10:30 PM   #16
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Sherrill View Post
I have three FNS semi-autos: an FNS-40, and FNS-40 L(ong slide), and an FNS-9c. I like them all.

FN needs to get more of their handguns in U.S. civilian hands, to reestablish their reputation. I wouldn't be surprised if FN-America (and FN-Herstal) are phasing out the FNS line and beginning to push the FN509, which is basically an IMPROVED FNS model. Closing out so selling the FNS line at bargain basement prices -- they are now made in the U.S. -- is a way to do it!!

If my, guess is right, we'll probably soon an FNS compact. They already have an FN509 Tactical model with a much larger capacity (24 round) model, and a slightly smaller model (15 rounds.)

FN has a long and distinguished history of highly regarded weapons, many of which were created for FN by John M. Browning. His coworker and assistant at FN until JMB's death, Dieudonné Saive, was almost a creative as JMB and arguably was a lessor genius of gun design in his own right. He was responsible for finishing the FN/Browning Hi-Power design, and for developed the first really reliabile double-stack magazine.

I won't rush out to get a FN509, ans I've seen no reason to get rid of my FNS guns. (I have 9mm conversion barrel for my FNS-40 from EFK-Firedragon, and I think the FNS barrel and mags also work in the FNX models of the same size.
While I have a lot of respect for FN, their firearms reputation in recent decades has had little to do with pistols. Their rifle and machine gun production has been far more successful both militarily and commercially. I like FN pistols. I've owned an FNP, FNX, and I can't remember if I owned an FNS. I liked them all. But a lack of aftermarket support and more readily available and cheaper options led me to sell them. I hope they see more success.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; August 21, 2019 at 06:34 AM.
Old August 21, 2019, 05:41 AM   #17
jetinteriorguy

I had an FNS9C and it was a very nice, good quality pistol. But for whatever reason I just didn't shoot it well and sold it. My guess is it just didn't play well with my hands. Other than that I really liked it.
Old August 23, 2019, 10:17 AM   #18
JGIORD

Purchased a FN 509 new on 8/10. Never fired a live round but just by dry firing with snap caps my firing pin broke on 8/16. Opened up an online case with FN as required and still haven't heard back from them.

Dealer is taking the gun back and I'm trading for a Glock G19 Gen 5 MOS.

I really liked the feel of the gun and the trigger, but a broken firing pin while only dry firing over a couple of days using snap caps is totally unacceptable. Also I found the gun more difficult to work on and overly complicated compared to a Glock.

No thanks, I pass.