The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 7, 2016, 03:24 PM   #1
Ike666

Best carry ammo for Shield 9

I alternate between Barnes TAC-XPD and Rem GS 124s. I'm just wondering what loads others are using for EDC and why you chose that load.

I'm little concerned that the Barnes is not moving fast enough out that short barrel.
Old February 7, 2016, 10:57 PM   #2
raimius

124gr HSTs get good reviews, even out of 3 inch barrels.
Old February 8, 2016, 01:20 AM   #3
Water-Man

I'm currently using Hornady Critical Duty 135gr..

What's important to me is not only how the round performs, but how the round feeds in the smaller 9mm pistols.
Old February 8, 2016, 10:49 AM   #4
9x45

I use Winchester SXT 127 +P+
Old February 8, 2016, 10:55 AM   #5
pwalston25

I use gold dot 124 +p in all my hand guns. I researched a lot and Shooting The Bull Channel on youtube had the best videos on ammo ballistics. Thats how I made my decision
Old February 8, 2016, 01:28 PM   #6
samsmix

Just bought one myself! Couldn't pass on it for the money, and my K-.38 EDC is showing it's age. My M&P Shield 9 hasn't proven itself yet, but that's probably going to be a formality with a gun from a top manufacturer...not always though. Every company turns a lemon or two.

I am starting out with Federal 115gr Hydra Shok, Remington 124gr Golden Saber, and 115gr +P Speer Gold dot. These have proven track records, and are carried by the Local LEOs.

To "graduate" to my holster, the gun must run 300 rounds of ball, followed by 100 rounds of duty ammo flawlessly. (Would love to say 200 rounds of duty ammo, but this is a concession to cost.)
I also will have to consider muzzle flash from a 3" barrel, which might put the +P loads out early as it can be quite blinding at night.

Accuracy: Haven't shot it yet, but in a sub compact I am looking for 4"-6"/25yards rested, and "All shots in the upper torso" at 50 yards. Others will disagree with having a 50 yard requirement, but I have my reasons.

Ergonomics: So far my impression of the gun is...very good. It seems like the trigger group is carried low, causing it to feel very "tall" in my hand. Grip to trigger geometry isn't unlike a DA revolver, when the latter is gripped high. Comparison of grip, bore, and sight axis with my tiny little P3AT proves that it really sits quite low in the hand, just as low as the little KelTec in fact.

Trigger Has to be one of the worst I have ever had, and this is going up agains Rossis, Chi-com Tokarevs, Rugers in the DA mode...Maybe this is a one-off, but mine has the expected long take up, followed by a horrendous stage of creep, and a let off that is difficult to isolate from the creep. I really hop it smooths out during break in.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old February 8, 2016, 06:14 PM   #7
Ike666

I've ordered 5 boxes of Speer GD +P 124s and three boxes of Ranger T +P 127s.

I've had the shooter about a year and it became my EDC about 9 months ago from a G19 prior.

I hope your trigger will smooth out, mine was good out of the box. Did you get the version with the safety or without (I got without).
Old February 8, 2016, 07:00 PM   #8
FireForged

The HP round that runs most reliably in your gun. Thats what I consider the best. When I find more than one HP that runs great in my gun, I typically lean toward the heaviest one and call it a day. I try not to overthink it
Old February 8, 2016, 08:26 PM   #9
WyMark

I carry Gold Dot 147gr. in my Shield and my P228.
Old February 9, 2016, 02:41 PM   #10
samsmix

I got the one with the safety. I didn't notice the thing until I got it home.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old February 9, 2016, 11:04 PM   #11
begemot

I use Hornady Critical Defense. Feeds flawlessly, recoils lightly, and is generally well-made. I also don't get the bullet setback I have with some other SD ammo.
Old February 13, 2016, 02:45 PM   #12
AZ-Quailhunter

Been really liking the Barnes Tac X PD.