The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 6, 2020, 11:45 AM   #1
Tygus.Shooting

Expert Recommendations for Accurizing Ruger's Take-Down Charger?

As I previously mentioned in another thread (see Ruger Charger...Who else has one?) I decided to acquire a Ruger Take-down Charger last year, as a companion to my original, fixed-barrel Ruger Charger.

The problem is that this new gun won't shoot anywhere nearly as well as the original fixed-barrelled version --- the smallest groups it will produce measure 1.5 inches at 25 meters, using SK Pistol Match .22LR ammunition. I have mounted the biggest scope that I have on the gun; in spite of this, all other brands of .22LR print significantly larger groups than 1.5 inches.

I think you will agree that a gun configured like the Charger should be able to deliver substantially better accuracy than that, and I was hoping that members here with more experience than I have can make recommendations regarding how this gun can be made to shoot better, in its 'stock' form.

I view swapping out the original parts for aftermarket goodies as a last resort.

Looking forward to receiving your expert recommendations!
Old September 6, 2020, 06:58 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

I'd use the same accurizing techniques used on the 10/22 rifle.

That would start with pillar bedding the stock.
There's good info on the net and probably on Rim Fire Central on how to bed the stock using a pillar method.
You can buy or make the special pillar.

The barrel would be free floated, but I have seen accuracy 10/22's in which the barrel was full length bedded and the RECEIVER was free floated.

If you want to prevent buying new parts, the barrel would probably be glued into the receiver with epoxy to prevent movement, and the trigger unit would be worked over to improve it and eliminate over-travel.

Note that Ruger barrels are inconsistent in accuracy.
You can buy one Ruger firearm that will shoot as well as any gun you've ever had, and the next one of the same model and time of manufacture won't shoot.

To get the best out of it you'll probably have to use full-on Match ammo like Eley, RWS or one of the other brands, or buy the gauge to allow hand selecting ammo.
The gauge is sold by accuracy houses like Shooter's Choice and allows gauging standard ammo to get practice level accuracy.
The gauge measures the rim thickness to select ammo into groups.

In either case you have to buy a box of every type and brand of .22 ammo you can find and run accuracy tests to find the one that shoots the best, then buy as much of that as you can afford.
Standard Velocity is almost always more accurate then High Speed.
Old September 11, 2020, 09:18 AM   #3
Tygus.Shooting

Thank you for the recommendations, Dfariswheel!

Thank you so much for your comprehensive recommendations!

I'll try and get started on the accurizing project tomorrow morning, and see if I can reduce the take-down Charger's groups to an acceptable level, which would be under an inch at 25 meters, for me.

I try to shoot Olympic-style Rapid Fire from time to time, and have a pretty good selection of .22 LR to try out in the gun, after the work is done.

Wish me luck!