The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 21, 2019, 11:42 AM   #51
jfruser

For me and mine:

1. Firing hand thumb rides safety if do-able (given hand size). Provides better recoil control and positive "every time" repeatablity.

2. Support hand thumb pointing straight forward along the frame, indexing on some stamped verbiage I can feel.
Old May 21, 2019, 09:55 PM   #52
HiBC

Quote:
Under the safety.
Going back and looking close,I notice the safety is the old original WW1 small safety,maybe 1/2 in long and 3/16 wide.Its purely a control button,and there is nothing to rest the thumb on. Resting the thumb is moot.
The relative thumb positions of the instructors was approx. thumb forward position.HMMM I wonder why the safety itself was modified with the small shelf and flange?A place for the thumb to ride?? Evolution?
Admittedly in combat shooting may well be done one handed.The other hand might be busy with a 5 gal can of water,or an ammo can or wounded troop.Or a radio.Or the reins of a horse.Or a sabre.
Those with two free hands are often better served by a rifle.

I also understand for many folks,the 1911 is about bullseye shooting.That is their focus.Sight picture and gradual trigger squeeze. That is not wrong.Its a perfectly wonderful form of shooting.

The discipline of fast (very fast) accurate (not 10 ring,but effective) shooting does not allow time for a bullseye trigger pull. The trigger gets jerked.Recoil recovery time is minimal. The modern two handed grip ha evolved for shooting faster than 1/2 second per shot,accurately.

A trigger jerk works if the grip holds the gun still.

The winners generally use the grip that works for them,and that's today's two handed hold.

You may certainly do whatever makes you happy. It works good enough for you.

Last edited by HiBC; May 21, 2019 at 10:01 PM.
Old May 22, 2019, 09:58 AM   #53
cw308

When thinking of a proper grip I thought back when I went with friends to a golf driving range , I was a baseball player and you can't swing at a golf ball like you would swing at a baseball or for that matter a tennis racket . So I guess there is something in a proper form , style or grip. If your shooting good with your style keep doing it but if your having problems the try the different grips .
Old May 24, 2019, 10:09 AM   #54
hdbiker

Strong hand around grip, support hand under strong hand with support thumb against frame, strong thumb over support thumb under safety. works well for me. hdbiker
Old May 25, 2019, 05:22 AM   #55
hemiram

Not claiming to be a great shooter by any means, especially now, I'm pretty bad, but after almost 46 years of shooting, and at one time being "pretty good", IMHO there is way too much thinking about how to grip a gun. I've watched a lot of youtube videos and some of them I've tried the downright odd ways some of the people in them grip guns and my hands must be totally different than theirs are, as a lot of them are downright uncomfortable, and gripping a gun insanely hard as many people do is just crazy to me. But then again, I'm one of those people who don't keep a gun that "limp wrists" when I grip it the same way other guns are gripped. If it's not a break in thing, it's gone, no matter how pretty it is. I'm not a fan of excessive "texturing" of the grip, either. I used to have crazy strong grip strength, and don't have it now, but I don't see the need to have sandpaper like grips and over the top checkering like some people seem to desire/want/need. I got rid of my F&N FNS-40 for two reasons, I decided to get out of .40, but mostly because of the grip texture, which IMHO, is over the top.
Old May 25, 2019, 05:59 AM   #56
CDR_Glock

Two handed: thumbs forward, pad of thumbs (thenar eminence) on the grip, & a firm grip. Helps with the pistol returning back to “home”.

One handed, either hand, thumb down. I like to do a slight inward tilt.

Since the trigger weight is only 3.5 to 4.5 pounds, the grip is not as tight as I would have in a revolver with a 10-13 lb DA trigger, particularly with a 454 Casull, 460 or 500 Magnum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old May 25, 2019, 07:30 PM   #57
RickB

Strong hand, regardless of gun type, is high, and if there's a safety that's large enough, thumb on top of that and clamping down on it to force the gun as deeply into the hand as possible.
High thumb opens up space on the frame for the weak hand, so the latter can contribute more to a two-handed grip; neither hand has to grip the gun tightly when both hands are contributing close to equally, and that allows the trigger finger to be limber.
Weak-hand wrist is rotated forward and down, so the wrists are working in different planes; if the wrists are parallel, they can be "broken" together by recoil, while rotating the weak wrist aligns the bones in an "X" that's mutually supporting.
Old May 26, 2019, 06:06 AM   #58
JJ45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite View Post
Gunsite
Frontsight
Thunder ranch
Smith and Wesson academy
Blackwater
Jerry Miculek
Rob leatham

The list goes on of professional trainers that teach to ride the safety on a 1911. Your “ive been doing it different for 40 years” does not make it “correct”. Which was the OP’s question.

“I was taught it in the Army 40 years ago”, also doesn't cut it.

Teaching PROPER 1911 shooting is becoming a lost art, but those of us that have an extensive background in doing just that, insist on riding the safety UNLESS some physical deformity prevents that for happening.
Another expert, Massad Ayoob prefers to curl the thumb down, thumb over thumb in what he calls a "crush grip" although he does describe the attributes of the thumb over safety BUT, he also opines that a lot of it depends on how the gun fits YOUR hand.

Most of us here shoot different platforms. Who has a striker, a SA/DA, SA, safety, no safety, etc. and shoots them all?...How many have a Beretta 92 and a 1911 ?..the safety is released in a different direction, the Beretta up and the 1911 down. So, IMO, developing a grip that is consistent and compatible with all the handguns you shoot may be the best idea