The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 18, 2019, 04:45 PM   #26
raimius

I would look at the CZ Shadow series, Sig P210, P226, P320, or a 1911.
Personally, I think 1911s generally have the best triggers. They make very nice range guns.
Old May 18, 2019, 04:56 PM   #27
2wheelwander

CZ gets the vote from me.
Old May 18, 2019, 08:18 PM   #28
MoArk Willy

I have a Walther P99. Very nice gun, easy to shoot and accurate.
Your first gun should be a quality one, not a cheap knock off. Buy a gun you can count on, will practice with and be proud to own.
Old May 19, 2019, 12:54 PM   #29
Brownstone322

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientWolf View Post
By the way. I am very suspicious of a troll on this one:

The post topic is very similarly posed and structured to a recently removed poster who claimed no experience to expert level.
The sentence structure, spelling and punctuation is amazingly American for a young person from France (where they are taught British English-not American)
1st (and only post) pits some of the most popular brands against each other possibly to generate debate and high number of responses.
It was a fairly unusual time for the claimed location.
Pricing listed in US dollars seems really strange.
I think you may be onto something. I'm meticulous about language and writing, and I can usually pick up on the syntax of British English, which is common just about anywhere outside the United States. Plus, I don't think many first-time handgun owners immediately focus on shooting at 15-25 yards or have a budget of 1,500 bucks. (I've been doing this a while, and I routinely shoot at seven and 10 yards, as do most people I know; and none of my handguns -- nice ones -- quite broke $1,000.)

No matter, to take the post seriously, I'd recommend a Beretta 92, because it checks all the boxes at about a third of the purported budget.
Old May 20, 2019, 07:48 AM   #30
zincwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientWolf View Post
By the way. I am very suspicious of a troll on this one:

The post topic is very similarly posed and structured to a recently removed poster who claimed no experience to expert level.
The sentence structure, spelling and punctuation is amazingly American for a young person from France (where they are taught British English-not American)
1st (and only post) pits some of the most popular brands against each other possibly to generate debate and high number of responses.
It was a fairly unusual time for the claimed location.
Pricing listed in US dollars seems really strange.

To the OP, if you are not a troll, I apologize, but any you listed are decent guns. Try them, get your appropriate license (I believe it would be a class B), buy your favorite pistol and enjoy it.
Respectfully, how is that a trolling post?
Old May 20, 2019, 10:20 AM   #31
Jack Ryan

If you like the CZ, then buy the CZ.

Duh.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:11 AM   #32
Metric

Quote:
Originally Posted by zincwarrior View Post
Respectfully, how is that a trolling post?
Yeah, it's nothing. Probably just a local fisherman, out for a pleasure cruise. At night. Through eel-infested waters...
Old May 26, 2019, 10:51 PM   #33
FAL'er

Cz, Sig or HK first.
Old May 27, 2019, 05:08 PM   #34
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
... I really dislike the Glocks: the trigger feels weird to me and also it's a very light gun, which I don't like because the recoil kicks a lot/is hard.

On the other hand, I like the CZ Shadow 1 very much: the trigger is very smooth/light and it's much heavier so the recoil feels much better...
I understand that. Glocks have an amazing reputation for reliability and an extensive market for customization in the United States. However, I hate the way they feel in my hands so I don't use them.

That said, CZ also has an excellent reputation. They feel good in my hands and I naturally shoot them well. In terms of safety, I prefer DA/SA with a decocker and CZ has you covered there. If you really like the CZ and you like them better than the comparable Sig guns, then go with your instinct. Get a CZ.
Old May 27, 2019, 09:50 PM   #35
Cirdan

I'm not overly in love with how the G19 feels in the hand. On the other hand, it's a very simple design and anyone can learn how to field strip and clean it. Enough so that there's not reason to go with a revolver (probably earning me lots of hate).

In the end though, it's a tool. What are you using it for?
Old May 27, 2019, 10:25 PM   #36
Atlbike

If it is your first pistol you can't go wrong with a CZ. When I took my daughter to the range for the first time I brought several pistols with me. From a Ruger MKII .22 to a 1911 in 45 ACP, also included was a Sig P226 and P320. But of the 7 pistols I brought she liked the CZ-75 the best. It fit her hands well and the recoil was light. She now calls it her gun.
Old May 28, 2019, 06:41 PM   #37
JimCunn

I really like my old T-Series Browning Hi-Power.
Old May 28, 2019, 11:10 PM   #38
tmd47762

I don’t think we need to worry about French trolling here, it reads like most French students in American universities write. The price seems high by US standards but being licensed to have something in a military caliber must cost a premium.
Old May 31, 2019, 05:01 AM   #39
shafter

I'll cast my vote for a Sig 226. Heavy, accurate, and very smooth.
Old May 31, 2019, 09:58 AM   #40
chemcal

out on a limb, try a HK P2000 LEM(German); or walther Q match; two different platforms, but both very nice.

Last edited by chemcal; May 31, 2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old May 31, 2019, 03:41 PM   #41
sigarms228

I am pretty sure Elvis has left the building.