The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 13, 2019, 08:46 AM   #26
kozak6

Yeah.

A small gun shop is unlikely to have a copy machine, and even an all-in-one printer could be unnecessary. Some people would rather bluster than admit that they just didn't have a convenient way to make you a copy.
Old May 13, 2019, 02:30 PM   #27
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozak6
A small gun shop is unlikely to have a copy machine, and even an all-in-one printer could be unnecessary. Some people would rather bluster than admit that they just didn't have a convenient way to make you a copy.
Based on a widespread sampling of two small gun shops I deal with, both in (different) small towns, I have to disagree with you. There are a lot of things that even very small businesses encounter that require either copies or scans. The two shops I know are both basically hole-in-the-wall size shops. One is a one-man operation, the other has two separate companies run by two separate FFLs, both operating out of a tiny storefront in a town with a main street that's all of two blocks long. Both have copier/scanners in house.

I fully understand that a sampling of two is hardly representative of the industry/trade as a whole, but since you're not likely to find a gun shop smaller than these, I think it's safe to use them as [allegedly anecdotal] evidence to show that it's not unlikely to find a small gun shop with a copier.
Old May 13, 2019, 03:15 PM   #28
Theohazard

I agree with AB. Considering it’s safe to say that the vast majority of small gun shops offer transfer services, that means it’s highly likely that they’re going to have a printer/fax machine. And most printer/fax machines are also capable of copying too. So I think it’s unlikely that you’re going to come across an FFL that isn’t equipped to make copies.
Old May 13, 2019, 07:24 PM   #29
osbornk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozak6 View Post
Yeah.

Nearly all businesses and even private homes have a printer/copier. Mine is a wireless HP printer that was about $50, I've seen printers that can copy for under $40 at Walmart.
Old May 13, 2019, 08:09 PM   #30
dogtown tom

Quote:
Theohazard
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtown tom View Post
Rebates.
Some manufacturers ask for a copy of the first three pages of the Form 4473 as proof of purchase for their rebate.

I hate those manufacturers.
I know that manufacturers often require a copy of the 4473 for gun store employee sales incentive points, but I’ve never had a customer ask for a copy of the 4473 for a consumer rebate. They’ve always been fine with just a regular receipt.
ATIhttps://www.americantactical.us/cata...e=r_disclaimer

FNUSAhttps://www.galleryofguns.com/Consum...Images/fns.pdf

LWRChttps://lwrci.com/support/forms/aimpointform.pdf

Beretta, Browning and a slew of others have done it in the past as well.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old May 13, 2019, 08:12 PM   #31
dogtown tom

Quote:
kozak6 Yeah.

I stopped making copies for rebates.
Everyone that has a cellphone has a camera and can easily take a photo of the three pages they need.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old May 13, 2019, 08:55 PM   #32
Theohazard

Dogtown: Oh, I believed you, I’ve just never seen it myself. Seems odd; I spent 5 years working full-time and the last two years working part-time and I’ve never had a customer ask for a copy of the 4473 for rebate purposes. And that’s all at high-volume shops.
Old May 14, 2019, 09:03 AM   #33
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
A small gun shop is unlikely to have a copy machine, and even an all-in-one printer could be unnecessary.
Actually, it's a necessity that you have the capability to send and receive faxes. The ATF prefers that dealers fax copies in for a trace, and there are still (in the 21st century!) dealers who don't have access to email.

Tags
4473 , copying documents