The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 8, 2019, 06:38 PM   #1
TheScout

New to hunting

Hi there. I've been thinking about getting into hunting small game. I love practicing my marksmanship with a rifle, but would like to put the skills I've picked up to some practical use. Also, I've always been interested in learning how to stalk and hunt game. I live in Arizona, and there's a big piece of land by my house that I thought I could hunt in. I figured I'd be hunting dove, quail, and maybe a cotton tail. I plan to use an air rifle, a Daisy Power Line 880 (I will soon a get Gamo). I have a .22lr, but I'm worried it will be too loud. As I said, I'm new to this. No one in my family has ever really hunted (I think my Grandpa did?) I have a neighbor who hunts, but he hunts white tails with a bow. Could I ask him for advice? Please, any advice helps. Barrage me with facts and suggestions if you must. I want to learn as much about this as I can, before I get into it. Thank you so much!
Old May 8, 2019, 07:02 PM   #2
Pahoo

Hunting is a way of life !!!

Quote:
No one in my family has ever really hunted (I think my Grandpa did?) I have a neighbor who hunts, but he hunts white tails with a bow.
I also come from a family that doesn't hunt and to this day, I still can't figure out why. You sound like a young man and that is good as you have many miles to go, on this learning curve. …

It's my sincere belief and experience that some of your better hunters, started in archery. Hunting is a personal activity rather than a hobby, In my book, hunting is a way of life. …..

Quote:
I love practicing my marksmanship with a rifle, but would like to put the skills I've picked up to some practical use.
If your goal is to marksmanship then shoot paper. Hunting is for killing dressing, cooking and eating. One good way to start, is to just get out there and be a part of their world. If you haven't already done so, enroll in a real Hunter Safety course as opposed to the internet. …

Good luck on your journey and;
Be Safe !!!
Old May 8, 2019, 07:42 PM   #3
GarandTd

Be prepared to eat what you kill. Hunting (to me) is a survival skill. Hunting comes from the need to eat, to survive. Bonus if you can learn to tan hides. The more parts you can harvest from the animal, the better. Respect the animals you hunt while they walk the Earth and after you have taken them.
Old May 8, 2019, 09:19 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The more time you can spend outdoors just sitting and looking is helpful. Learn to imitate a rock or stump.

If you want to get into "sneaky snake" stalking, learn how to walk quietly, and walk without marching as on a sidewalk.

Most of the visible critter movement is in the hour or so of first light in the morning, and in the last hour or so before sundown.

Decent binoculars are a great help. 7x35 or 8x40 work well.

Learn to shoot accurately from what are called "field positions", not from a benchrest. Offhand, seated, leaned against a tree or boulder; whatever meets the needs of a particular situation.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:21 PM   #5
big al hunter

Look up the hunting regulations for your state. The states I have lived in don't allow bird hunting with a pellet gun or 22. Might need a shotgun. There are seasons (dates that you are allowed to hunt) that you need to adhere to. You will also likely need a license.

I helped a friend of mine that was in a similar situation. Never hunted, didn't know a thing about it. Just started walking around the woods. He called me to chat one day and mentioned he was going to be hunting the next fall. He told me that in 8 weekends straight he had not seen an animal.

I invited him to tag along on my archery hunt. He did so. We had a great time. He saw his first wild deer on our first outing. He learned soooo much. On that note ...keep the wind in your face, they can smell you coming

Ask your friend if he could teach you during off season. Summer mornings are a great time to get out and learn about the animals and there habits.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:42 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

What state and general location are you in?
Members here might be able to point you toward some resources to get you started - even if it's just as simple as Hunter Education class locations and hunting regulations (so you can start reading now, and get the confusion out of the way before it's time to hunt).
Old May 9, 2019, 05:34 AM   #7
Blindstitch

There is a variety of ammo available for just about anything you want to do. I wouldn't really worry about 22lr being to loud but a lot of crack comes from breaking the speed of sound. So you can get high velocity, standard, cci quiet, CB caps. My friend really likes CCI CB caps because they're quiet but the range is probably limited.

If you're going to shoot dove or quail you probably want to pick up a 20 or 12 gauge.
Old May 9, 2019, 06:33 AM   #8
FITASC

Quote:
I figured I'd be hunting dove, quail, and maybe a cotton tail. I plan to use an air rifle, a Daisy Power Line 880
You go hunting game birds without a shotgun and you'll be in some serious deep doo-doo.
Arizona has game hunting regs delineating seasons, fees, what weapons, what ammo, where you can hunt, etc.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 9, 2019, 07:46 AM   #9
buck460XVR

Most states require a new hunter to go thru some form of hunter education before being allowed to buy a license. This is an opportunity to get a lot of the info you are seeking. many states also have a new hunter mentoring system, where as a first time hunter, you are taken afield with an experienced hunter. Contact your local DNR/F&G. Most have great websites and are a wealth of information that will pertain to your area and your situation.
Old May 9, 2019, 09:28 AM   #10
stinkeypete

Good points above:
Check the az dnr for seasons and regulations and training requirements
Your airgun will be illegal for game birds most likely

I can think of several types of hunting:
Sitting quietly in nature at sun up or near sun down
Walking super quietly and listening as you stalk, stopping every 3 or 4 steps
Watching a pile of bait... not for me, but it’s a thing.

Using your low power air rifle, you will be fairly limited to cotton tail rabbits at close range with good shots to the head (between the eye and the ear). Even then, you are underpowered and that means you might wound an animal for it to only run away, suffer and die later. That’s not ethical hunting.

As said above, bows are cool and have a lot more power.

Buying new, you can get a ruger 10/22 for about $200 at large stores like WallyWorld. A Marlin Model 60 costs about $20 less and is just as good but in a different style with less of a fan base. There are some $120 rifles out there and some are great and some are junk, all with the same name on them... so you pay a little more for consistency and support if your new rifle is a clinker.

Sometimes you can find great deals under $150 on old bolt action rifles that are not ready to accept a scope. You like iron sights anyhow so this is to your advantage.

I think you can have a great time exploring the area near your house. Find a spot with a good view of cover and slink out there just before dawn with a little pad for your butt and just sit there perfectly still for an hour. You’ll see something. You don’t have to shoot it.

When you are ready to shoot stuff.. I have a side bag to carry a whole bunch of stuff like a hunting knife, nitril gloves, plastic zip loc bags, a mesh bag that used to hold oranges, paper towels, rags to clean hands and knife, matches, string, I am probably forgetting something.

Rabbits around me have had fleas and ticks so I didn’t want to just chuck them in my field jacket so I take out the guts and skin them and pop the meat in a plastic bag before going too far. I use the mesh bag to carry the meat in the zip locks outside my bag so the meat cools to slow down bacterial growth. I had tried hanging the carcass from a tree to go back for, but hawks and vultures were looking at my bunnies so I decided that wasn’t working for me.
Old May 9, 2019, 09:45 AM   #11
Doyle

Scout, if you really want to shoot something with that pellet rifle then look into pest control shooting. I'm talking about things like rats, starlings, etc. I don't know what is available out in AZ, but in many areas the local farmers would love someone thinning out the pest population (as long as you didn't put their livestock and equipment in any danger).
Old May 9, 2019, 10:37 AM   #12
TheScout

Thank you all for your help! I’m in Tucson, Arizona. There’s a lot of brush and cactus down here that wouldn’t be fun to walk through a lot so I figured staying out and waiting for an animal will be best. What range should I be looking to shoot at? How do I know what’s too far and what’s too close for my rifle? Does it depend on the ability of me to make the shot or the ability of my rifle to make the kill? I have a .22LR rifle that would be perfect and will consider some of the ammo you recommended. Also thank you for the advice on equipment and tips on field dressing. I have a pair of binoculars and a rangefinder. What I’m mainly hearing here is just go out and start doing it. I will check for local hunting clubs and lands. As for pest control, Spiny Lizards are constantly eating my grandma’s veggies so I could take care of them. But on the other hand they eat scorpions and spiders that we don’t want either. I’ll think about it
Old May 9, 2019, 12:45 PM   #13
Doyle

I'm pretty sure Spiny Lizards are a protected species. When I say pest control, I'm talking about things that the government actually wants killed. They are almost always invasive species that don't belong there. Invasive species include many species of rat, European starlings, eurasian collared doves, nutrua, etc. You would need to find out what invasive species has invaded your area.
Old May 9, 2019, 01:10 PM   #14
T. O'Heir

"...dove, quail..." Those are normally hunted with a shotgun. Rabbits usually are too. As mentioned, you must know your local hunting regs. You need to do a hunter's safety course anyway.
"...too loud..." That is not a consideration when hunting.
It appears there are multiple species of spiny lizard. None appear to be protected in AZ, but you need to know for sure.
"...stalking, learn how to walk quietly..." Heel down and roll your steps around the outside of your foot. Practice by trying to sneak up on a snoozing house cat. If the ears move, especially towards you, you're caught. Try again. And don't get mad when the cat laughs at you.
Old May 9, 2019, 01:49 PM   #15
FITASC

Quote:
I will check for local hunting clubs and lands.
You are in AZ. You hunt the BLM/National Forest land. You ONLY hunt WHAT is legal, WHEN it is legal, and with the required equipment.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 9, 2019, 02:13 PM   #16
Jack Ryan

Don't they have ground squirrels and other such pests in Arizona?

You start killing those with a pellet rifle regularly and you'll pretty much have that hunting thing figured out.

Get a hunting license. Take a hunter education course.

https://varmintal.com/avarm.htm#SquirrelHunts
Old May 9, 2019, 06:40 PM   #17
TheScout

Okay I've found a website where I can get a hunting license and I've started applying. I will talk to my neighbor too. Not to put y'all in an uncomfortable position, but would it be a good idea to let my dad know that I want to hunt? (I'm 17 by the way). Also, to clarify, I should not just go into random patches of desert and start hunting right? A lot of my friends seem to just hop their back fence in to desert and start shooting. I know, I'm asking weird questions, but I am still a novice, so please excuse me.
Old May 9, 2019, 07:19 PM   #18
big al hunter

Quote:
Not to put y'all in an uncomfortable position, but would it be a good idea to let my dad know that I want to hunt? (I'm 17 by the way).
Doesn't make me uncomfortable.... would you be uncomfortable asking him? You might need his approval as your guardian to take hunter education (depends on local regulations). If he is supportive of your hobbies, then he should be happy that you have an interest in something. If he is against hunting for some reason, then you can also wait until your birthday. 18 is adult in most areas.
Quote:
Also, to clarify, I should not just go into random patches of desert and start hunting right?
Definitely not a good idea. Some areas might not be open to hunting. And always let someone know where you are going to be, and when you will be back. Preferably someone that cares if you come back or not. Dogs don't count, not even Lassie can tell the search party where to start looking if you don't make it back to the car. Getting lost is just as dangerous as any other hazard we face out there. GPS helps, but batteries die at the wrong moment. Get a map and study it. Learn how to use a compass with the map. They don't need batteries.
Old May 9, 2019, 07:34 PM   #19
Pahoo

Welcom to the tribe !!!

Quote:
Not to put y'all in an uncomfortable position, but would it be a good idea to let my dad know that I want to hunt? (I'm 17 by the way).
No way you could do that to this group. Now then, as far as your Dad and especially your Mom, you make that measure. As long as you are committed to being a lawful and ethical hunter, you are fine, in my book. …..

I am a Hunter Safety instructor and teach from 11 to "Vintage" year old students. Teaching young folks like you, gives me great satisfaction. Let us know how you make out, in this great-adventure. …..

Be Safe !!!
Old May 9, 2019, 09:19 PM   #20
blackwidowp61

Many a rabbit, squirrel, grackel and starling have learned the hard way that they aren't welcome at our feeders. I use a 10-22 with Aguila super colibris (single shot - they will not operate the bolt at all). They do a great job and aren't any louder than a pellet gun. Just have to be very conscious of my backstop when I shoot.

Once you get used to the idea, you can 'graduate' to the stuff that goes 'crack' and open up your options with the same rifle. Then there's shotguns, bigger caliber rifles, handguns, reloading...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCrJleggrI
Old May 9, 2019, 09:44 PM   #21
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Most Bureau of Land Management (BLM) land is open to shooting and hunting. Check a local BLM office for details and maps.
Old May 10, 2019, 08:42 AM   #22
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScout View Post
Okay I've found a website where I can get a hunting license and I've started applying. I will talk to my neighbor too. Not to put y'all in an uncomfortable position, but would it be a good idea to let my dad know that I want to hunt? (I'm 17 by the way). Also, to clarify, I should not just go into random patches of desert and start hunting right? A lot of my friends seem to just hop their back fence in to desert and start shooting. I know, I'm asking weird questions, but I am still a novice, so please excuse me.
Since you're 17, I certainly would. Maybe you can get him to go with you. Seems Arizona doesn't require hunter education for anyone over 14 years of age. Still, I would take a class somewhere, even if it's just online. Just having a hunting license and jumping a fence does not give you permission to hunt private land. While public land is a different matter, you are responsible to know who owns the land you are hunting on. Many states require you to have written permission from the landowner.

No reason to excuse yourself for asking questions. Much better than going off into the field with no idea of what you're doing. Every one of us here was in your position at one time. We had to ask questions too, take a course....or learn the hard way. You are approaching this as a responsible hunter. Continue on that path.
Old May 10, 2019, 09:57 AM   #23
Doyle

The absolute best advise I could give to a new young hunter is to find a good mentor. If you have no one in your family that hunts, finding a mentor will be a little tougher - but not impossible. If there is decent hunting in your area, then chances are that there is going to be a local online hunting forum. If you can find such a forum, then join. Not only will you get good, local advise you also stand a reasonably good chance of hooking up with someone willing to show you the ropes.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:39 AM   #24
Pahoo

Mentoring

Quote:
If you have no one in your family that hunts, finding a mentor will be a little tougher - but not impossible.
Now, understand that I am not familiar with Arizona's hunter education programs. Here in Iowa we do have a Mentoring program that I use to participate but lately, not so much. Contact your states DRN for assist. There is also IHEA (International-Hunter Educational-Association that you may want to contact. ….

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; May 11, 2019 at 07:10 PM.
Old May 11, 2019, 11:46 AM   #25
TheScout

Thank you all so much for your replies. I bounced the idea of hunting off of my dad, and he says he’ll think about it. He also said that he has a lot of friends who hunt who could take me on a hunt sometime I’ve been watching a lot of Keith Warren on YouTube (a hunting YouTube channel) and there just seems like a lot of hassle and complication that goes into hunting on a private reserve or even public land for that matter. Small game hunting on a piece of land just seemed easier and more appropriate for my level of skill with a rifle. Yesterday I took a hike through the desert. Without a rifle, I practiced walking quietly and observing the environment for quail sounds, mourning dove sounds. I found very very quickly that rabbits are elusive. If I had a rifle with me, I could’ve taken a few birds, I was able to get within even 10 yards of some quail before I spooked em. The closest I got to a rabbit was 25 yards. Though my air rifle can shoot at 25 yards, there’s about a 3 inch group which doesn’t give me much confidence in landing an ethical shot. But it was very very fun and relaxing to just scout the desert. At one point I even used a stick as a training tool, to see if I could bring it up to a “firing position” with silence. Walking quietly however is something I’m struggling with. Is it the my boots? Is it the terrain? I suppose I could walk quietly but it would take forever, and it isn’t every idea when I’m trying to follow a quail or rabbit. Thoughts? I’ve tried the tips you’ve given me, but something just feels wrong.
And not to whine, but in the desert, thick brush and cactus become very problematic for hiking and scouting.