The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 2, 2019, 02:53 PM   #1
kilotanker22

New trigger and brake.

Just got a Remington 700 5R gen 2 in 308 win. Looking for a good trigger that isn't real expensive. Maybe limited to $100-$150. Looking for drop in. Either no or minimal machining.

Also looking for a good brake that will thread on.

What are you all's favorite trigger and Brake for a similar rifle?

For a trigger, 1.5 pound weight is about as low as I would like to go. I prefer trigger pull weight between 1.5-2 pounds.

The brake needs to look good and function well. Not really interested in wedge shaped brakes.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old April 2, 2019, 07:33 PM   #2
Clemson

Timney trigger and Shrewd or Vais brake.
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old April 2, 2019, 09:09 PM   #3
ogree

What Clemson said "Timney & Shrewd".
Vias brakes aren't as effective as the Shrewds.
Old April 3, 2019, 08:26 AM   #4
cw308

1.5 trigger weight is light for hunting so I guess your using the 700 for target shooting only .I started out the same way with a Rem 700 LTR 20" Heavy Barrel in 308 shooting from a Harris fixed Bi Pod and rear bag . Adjusted the original trigger to 1.5 and had a custom break , break from Flit and frizzen gun shop PGRS -1 muzzle break $250 to stop the bounce . My friend had a screw on job from Witt Machine for $80 works just as good as mine on his 308 , it stays put doesn't blow off and is on for 3 years with no problems .

As far as the trigger , Timney is good . I went with a Jewell , they are up there in price but buy once cry once . It's set at 10 ounces , once you get use to shooting a 10 ounce or even lighter it's to you the same as shooting a heavier weight . Others will have that surprised look and say wow that's light . I've been shooting the same rifle for 10+ years , barrel changed to a RockCreek M24 5R rifling 11.27 twist 20" with the same break installed . Even though it's a HS Precision 700P stock I still have it bedded , l will be shooting my one and only for many years hopefully with barrel changes only . I guess what I saying , if you really like the rifle . Buy once cry once . Are you a reloader?

Last edited by cw308; April 3, 2019 at 09:40 AM.
Old April 3, 2019, 09:14 AM   #5
hounddawg

rifle Basix trigger and Precision Armament M4 - 72 muzzle break.

I have four of the Rifle Basix triggers now, two on Savages and two on CZ 452's. Thousands of rounds fired and never had a problem. Easy to install and adjust and reliable.

Precision Armament M4 72 muzzle break had a 64% recoil reduction in this review, the highest recoil reduction of any brake tested n this review.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...le-brake-test/

I have one on a .260 Rem mounted in a MDT aluminum chassis and recoil is lower than my .223. It has side and top vents so no dust kicked into your face and reduces muzzle jump almost entirely.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...le-brake-test/
Old April 3, 2019, 10:54 AM   #6
std7mag

Trigger, my choices would be Timney, followed by Jewell, and Rifle Basix.

I haven't tried any of the other brakes, so can't speak good, or bad about them.
I had a Vias on my Savage 110 in 06'. It was a mixed blessing.
The bad.
Ya gotta watch what type of terrain your on. Blows dust and other particles around. One shooting range i took it to was underground. Little rooms with a chair, table, bare lightbulb, and a hole in the cinderblock wall. At the shot, room got peppered with loose cinder, including the lightbulb, which promptly broke.

The good.
Gives a slimmer appearance to the lines of the barrel compared to some brakes.
Also gives a straight back recoil impulse, along with it being greatly reduced.
Used to watch bullet impact at 300 yards through the scope.
This recoil reduction took that 06' from hitting baseballs at 200, to hitting golfballs at 200 consistently.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old April 5, 2019, 01:45 PM   #7
kilotanker22

Well the deal fell through for that 308, but the same rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor was delivered to my LGS today. It will be a couple weeks until I have it paid off. So I have time to find the parts I want.

I checked the factory trigger at the shop and it broke at 3 pounds. feels pretty good actually. I might spend the money on a good brake before replacing the trigger.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old April 5, 2019, 01:49 PM   #8
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw308 View Post
1.5 trigger weight is light for hunting so I guess your using the 700 for target shooting only .I started out the same way with a Rem 700 LTR 20" Heavy Barrel in 308 shooting from a Harris fixed Bi Pod and rear bag . Adjusted the original trigger to 1.5 and had a custom break , break from Flit and frizzen gun shop PGRS -1 muzzle break $250 to stop the bounce . My friend had a screw on job from Witt Machine for $80 works just as good as mine on his 308 , it stays put doesn't blow off and is on for 3 years with no problems .

As far as the trigger , Timney is good . I went with a Jewell , they are up there in price but buy once cry once . It's set at 10 ounces , once you get use to shooting a 10 ounce or even lighter it's to you the same as shooting a heavier weight . Others will have that surprised look and say wow that's light . I've been shooting the same rifle for 10+ years , barrel changed to a RockCreek M24 5R rifling 11.27 twist 20" with the same break installed . Even though it's a HS Precision 700P stock I still have it bedded , l will be shooting my one and only for many years hopefully with barrel changes only . I guess what I saying , if you really like the rifle . Buy once cry once . Are you a reloader?
I agree for a dedicated hunting rifle 1.5 pounds is a bit light. But this is primarily a target rifle. I may hunt with it from a permanent stand.
– St. Augustine
Old April 5, 2019, 04:41 PM   #9
cw308

kilo
That's fine , l have friends that hunt ground hogs from a stand on farm land at long distances , that type of hunting light or even very light trigger weight is fine . Removes most of the danger in a accidental disccharge . Your not carrying it loaded through the brush . That's why giving as much info on a post will help in giving accurate advice . A good trigger set at 1.5 lbs with little over travel and break's like glwss will work fine for what your using it for . Are you reloading your rounds.
Old April 6, 2019, 08:06 AM   #10
std7mag

The trigger on my Whitworth action breaks cleanly at a consistent 2#.
But i don't take it hunting very often.
Rifle weighs 10# without ammo.
So lugging a 10# rifle 2-4 miles from the truck is NOT an option i choose.

Some of my longer range coyote sniping it's fine.

Another Manbun???
If you wanna practice your marksmanship, and wind guestimation, shoot a 75gr Sierra HP Varmint Master in a 257 Roberts.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old April 6, 2019, 09:40 AM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

I would have smith go over the existing trigger. We installed Timneys on our triggers during our sporterizing class (conversions) at TSJC. We even honed those down until it met the instructor's criteria. Timney hates the school for that.

No suggestion on muzzle brake. I'd leave the 11 degree dish without a muzzle brake on it. It's more accurate.