The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 2, 2019, 02:21 PM   #1
OneEyeSamurai

Recently lost my right eye need help with optic options.

So here is my issue, I lost my right eye which was my dominant eye and I can also only shoot shouldering right because I have an issue with my left shoulder. I'm trying to figure out either a 45 degree offset or a side mount that will move my sight over to the left so that i can shoulder right and shoot with my left eye. Any help is greatly appreciated. SW Ar-15 can function. Note: I have magpul mbus irons but can't see the focal point because i have distortion also in the left eye but it's still usable.
Old April 2, 2019, 04:00 PM   #2
kymasabe

There are a number of companies that make 45 degree offset rail adapters that you could mount an optic too.
I know Midway carries the Weaver Tactical one, and optics planet carries a few, including the ADM quick release version.
Old April 2, 2019, 04:31 PM   #3
Mobuck

I claim to be the "lost vision guru" so here goes: Try the 45* offset rings to see if you can achieve decent alignment with your good eye while maintaining a cheekweld from the right shoulder. You may have to experiment with various height "risers" to get this lined up but once you get your left eye aligned close to the center of the scope, you can fine tune the setup.
Option B is a 90* with various angled additions but this doesn't yield the best results.
I actually have an AR upper with a triple rail on top that I set up for a blind shooter to use an assistant.
Old April 2, 2019, 04:37 PM   #4
gwpercle

I was right handed and right eye dominant when I lost the sight in my right eye in 1985.
I could never come up with any kind of off set stock or cross over sight mount back then.
Now 34 years have passed and a lot of new things have happened.
My solution was to shoot left handed...my left shoulder had no issues.
Today I would try a AR rifle with a rail mounted scope or red dot mounted on the left side .
I don't know if that would work but I do know that a scope mounted in the conventional way can't be shot with the left eye from the right shoulder ...my neck just didn't have enough adjustment to allow it.

I stopped shooting for a long time . One day at the skeet range I told an an instructor my problem....He said, "just shoot left handed " . I hadn't thought of that ! He placed my feet in the correct place and I mounted the gun a few times lefty ...then smoked the first target ! WOW...amazing and been shooting left handed ever since.

Handguns I just hold in my right hand and shoot with the left eye ...easy ! I shoot more handgun than long guns now days.

Keep trying different things until you find a way...where there's a will ...you will find a way .
Gary
Old April 2, 2019, 04:37 PM   #5
jmr40

Sorry to hear about the loss of your eye. There may be a solution that will help you shoot long guns. But I'd really work on my handgun skills in your position. I shoot everything with both eyes open, but with a long gun the dominate eye takes over. It isn't as critical with a handgun.

Winston Churchill
Old April 2, 2019, 04:44 PM   #6
OneEyeSamurai

thank you all for such great info and support. I feel like I have enough info now to put something together and come out successful. I have zero sight in my right eye so technically I'm always going to be shooting with both eyes open it's just one of them doesn't work now haha. My handgun aim is fine thankfully it's just been really tough trying to figure out how to move my AR sight over but I think I have what I need now thanks to everyone again.
Old April 2, 2019, 07:37 PM   #7
imashooter

Sorry to hear of the loss of your eyeball. Though normally not an advocate of offset optics on an AR, I'd definitely give it the strongest consideration if in your position. It'd be great if you lived near a large enough area where you try on a few at a store, range, etc. Are you talking about a red dot, variable scope, fixed-power prism scope, other?
Old April 3, 2019, 06:34 AM   #8
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEueSamuri
So here is my issue, I lost my right eye which was my dominant eye and I can also only shoot shouldering right because I have an issue with my left shoulder. I'm trying to figure out either a 45 degree offset or a side mount that will move my sight over to the left so that i can shoulder right and shoot with my left eye. Any help is greatly appreciated. SW Ar-15 can function. Note: I have magpul mbus irons but can't see the focal point because i have distortion also in the left eye but it's still usable.
I'm in a similar situation as you. While I can see out of my right eye I might as well be blind . What you can do is obtain extra high optic mounts and riser blocks so you can actually sight using your left eye and maintain your typical RH cheek weld. I did this method on my AK-47 , and my Mauser 98 when I was using optics. It feels strange at first but you do acclimate to it. Good luck, no worries just adapt!
Old April 3, 2019, 08:04 AM   #9
surg_res

Check out the video

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/51...le-mount-matte

Scroll down to the bottom and check out the video--AMAZING. And no, I'm not suggesting that you buy a $400 sight to not be used, but it demonstrates how well our brains can adapt based on prior practice and learned feel! You should try or consider learning to shoot without sights, using motor muscle memory. If you are making a scoped shot / bench shot, consider left-hand setup.

Wear eye protection--always a good reminder to all of us to not take our vision for granted.
Old April 26, 2019, 01:35 AM   #10
OneEyeSamurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by imashooter View Post
Sorry to hear of the loss of your eyeball. Though normally not an advocate of offset optics on an AR, I'd definitely give it the strongest consideration if in your position. It'd be great if you lived near a large enough area where you try on a few at a store, range, etc. Are you talking about a red dot, variable scope, fixed-power prism scope, other?
Trying for a red dot with a magnifier
Old April 26, 2019, 07:29 AM   #11
9x19

If you are running a 1" optic, try a set of these... Sold as flash light mounts, but... cheap enough to experiment with.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...RMEYFAMZ&psc=1
Old April 26, 2019, 09:52 PM   #12
P Flados

The offset rings would probably be best.

Plan B could be a really high mount. It would be possible to shoot with the gun tilted over far enough (say 45° or so) to line up with the left eye. The scope would be rotated in the rings so that the cross hairs are vertical/horizontal when at the proper tilt.

Shooting would look kinda "gangsta", but you gotta do what it takes to shoot a long gun with the wrong eye.