The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 18, 2019, 07:25 PM   #26
hubris

Similar, but different situation. My wife doesn't personally like guns. OTOH she is fine with my teaching the grandsons safe handling and shooting BBs and 22s. Boxing day I fell from the roof and thoroughly broke my left arm and wrist which is my dominant hand. After discussing with the ortho I would be right handed for the next few months, I told my wife I needed some 'right handed' pistols. She rubbed my back and said to get what I needed.

We'll soon be married for fifty years.
Old February 18, 2019, 08:05 PM   #27
jolly roger

My wife does not mind guns at all, allows a crap ton of powder and primers in the house etc...but will only shoot revolvers. I'm good with that! And I love her..our..cats too. Yea I do so there
Old February 18, 2019, 08:09 PM   #28
littlebikerider

My wife didn't grow up around guns, but she has been okay with them. In fact, she has a rifle, shotgun, .22 pistol and airgun of her own choosing. Over our 21 years of marriage we went to the range together as often as life would permit to shoot together. She has her CCW.

A few days ago we went to shoot at the local range. The purveyor of wonderful toys behind the counter was teasing me with a 1911, on sale of course. My wife said, you have that work bonus coming, go ahead and get it".

She's mine, you can't have her!!!
Old February 18, 2019, 08:32 PM   #29
Omaha-BeenGlockin

No wife---I buy what I want.

Girlfriend's also have no say in my lifestyle choices
-------Metallica
Old February 18, 2019, 08:34 PM   #30
gc70

The only problem I have with my wife about buying guns is if I get one and she does not.
Old February 18, 2019, 08:35 PM   #31
2wheelwander

"I'm still single. One of the reasons, a couple women who things got close with (we were talking about engagement, and in one of these cases, we were shopping rings) made getting rid of my guns one of their requirements (not brought up until after things got serious- the old idea so many women have that they'll change the things about their man they don't like instead of having to learn to live with them). We could never negotiate that issue, and we broke up."

This reminded me of my high school sweetheart. I was head over heels for that girl and was shopping rings after graduation. She knew I hunted and began making remarks about how she would not want guns in the house. Tried to reason with her then, she wouldn't have it. And that, is the reason I began backing off. We broke up soon after, I joined the Army and she got married. After being out a few years got into LE. When I was out on patrol, she was always out on a walk and she'd flag me over to chat. Still see her from time to time. And she still looks great.

I'd still bet there are no guns in her house.
Old February 18, 2019, 08:37 PM   #32
OhioGuy

Mine was initially freaked out when I said I wanted to get into shooting, as neither of us was raised around guns. She's said before she respects other people's rights to own guns. She's casually dismissed any suggestions that I teach her to shoot but also hasn't had any trouble with me teaching our son to shoot. Had him at the range today with his .22 rifle and he's a good shot

She's increasingly recognizing the abject silliness of the anti gun arguments and the constant occurrence of high profile mass shooting in gun free zones. She knows I carry but has never asked when and I've never told.
Old February 18, 2019, 08:50 PM   #33
ritepath

As long as we can pay (most) of the bills and buy the items we want/need she's fine with new firearms. She realizes the threat that exists and believes they are a great investment in our political climate and what's coming down the pike for the 2A.

I can always buy a bass boat...well at least with a trolling motor if they manage to ban petrol powered ones.
Old February 18, 2019, 09:08 PM   #34
GarandTd

My wife also doesn't drink and doesn't particularly like it when I do, but she got me a home brew kit for Valentine's day. That's love. She tried looking into gun stuff because she knows that's where my interests lie, but she was quickly overwhelmed. Beer stuff was easier for her to figure out based off of what she knows I like. So, when on the outside she seems disapproving, I think it's her way of getting involved in my interests.
Old February 18, 2019, 09:53 PM   #35
MillCreek

My wife and I have a joint household account that we contribute to equally. This account is for the mortgage, utilities and various household expenses. We also have a joint account for travel that we contribute to equally. Beyond that, we each have our own paychecks and separate bank accounts and we are not accountable to the other for what we buy with our own money. This approach works like a charm for us, and we came to it via previous marriages in which everything was joint.

My wife is not into guns, but she does not question my expenditures on them. I am not into scrapbooking, but I do not question her expenditures on them. We have joint hobbies and interests and separate hobbies and interests.

MillCreek
Snohomish County, Washington USA
Old February 18, 2019, 10:03 PM   #36
ThomasT

My wife doesn't care for guns. She didn't grow up around them. But she hasn't said anything to me in 3 decades about what I buy. I pay all the bills. Buy 95% of all the food and make sure all the necessities are taken care of.

She has seen me sell several guns for a profit. A couple of times for a big profit. So she doesn't say anything. Most of all she has figured out that I am going to do what I want to do. On the other hand I never say a word if she wants to go on a trip with girlfriends. If she wants new shoes or clothes or a new hair style thats fine by me. Live and let live works pretty well.

I admit I am always puzzled by men who have to ask their wives first before they buy anything.
Old February 18, 2019, 10:04 PM   #37
Ridgerunner665

My wife actually has more guns than I do...

I sold a lot of mine that were just sitting in the safe a few years back.

I still have several, but she has way more than I do.

Like others above... We keep our finances separate. She has her money, and I have mine.
Old February 18, 2019, 10:08 PM   #38
Wag

My late wife was an avid shooter. She was a better shooter than I am unless I practiced a lot. Her medical issues made it tough for her to get out nearly as much as she wanted to but when she did, she did very well.

We never hesitated to buy a new gun if we had the money for it. If we didn't have the cash, I didn't suggest a gun purchase and neither did she. But if the money was there, one or the other of us would be buying a new gun.

If I ever do get together with another lady, she's going to have to be open to shooting if not an outright gun nut!

--Wag--
Old February 18, 2019, 10:18 PM   #39
GarandTd

I'm sorry for your loss, Wag. Sounds like she was a good lady.
Old February 18, 2019, 10:29 PM   #40
MoMan

My Wife of (46 years!!) has never had an issue with me purchasing guns. Although she was never around firearms when she grew up, she "gets it"!! I enjoy them, I enjoy reloading for them, and I enjoy shooting them. She understands, and has no issue with it. As much as I would love for her to join me when I shoot, I don't push her to do so. I'm not about to push her into something she really is not interested in.

I also encourage her hobbies and interests.

Member: NRA/Kentucky Regulators Gun Club/LaSalle Sportsmen's Club
Old February 18, 2019, 10:40 PM   #41
ammo.crafter

the wife

took my wife to a lays' day at the range sponsored by my gun club.

She experienced shotgun, rifle, black powder, steel, ppc, etc.

Long story short, she has a CCW and loves to have the ability to carry when she feels the urge.
Old February 18, 2019, 11:04 PM   #42
Ben_I

My wife dislikes guns as well. Still, I never lie or hide anything. With young children I make sure its all locked up and put away 24/7 unless on my person. I have a decent sized collection, but new acquires are made either trading or earning money outside of my regular income. She can't argue how I spend my side hustle money.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old February 18, 2019, 11:23 PM   #43
weblance

I lost My wife in August due to multiple illnesses. She was fine with guns. She went to the range several a year until her health just wouldn't allow it anymore.

I recently met a lovely woman who I have very deep feelings for. I was nervous how I was going to approach the subject of guns. I decided to start a conversation about personal security in todays world. It didn't take long for her to tell me she has her Concealed Handgun Licence, and to show me her 9mm Shield.

Old February 19, 2019, 01:16 AM   #44
rock185

I guess my situation was fortunate. My wife and I were both in LE when we got together, and she knew I was a "gun guy". So never an issue. She's pretty knowledgeable about guns, and actually encourages my hobby.
Old February 19, 2019, 05:48 AM   #45
ms6852

Wife just gave me $2500 to spend on any firearm I want it can be one or several. We both have an allowance and we get to buy whatever pleases us with neither of us complaining where the allowance money is spent. I have an awesome and phenomenal wife, definitely a keeper.
Old February 19, 2019, 09:01 AM   #46
sarge83

My wife was raised around firearms and has never said a word about my purchases. However if she actually knew how many firearms I have she would demand shoe reciprocity.
Old February 19, 2019, 09:47 AM   #47
Ed4032

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillCreek View Post
My wife and I have a joint household account that we contribute to equally. This account is for the mortgage, utilities and various household expenses. We also have a joint account for travel that we contribute to equally. Beyond that, we each have our own paychecks and separate bank accounts and we are not accountable to the other for what we buy with our own money. This approach works like a charm for us, and we came to it via previous marriages in which everything was joint.

My wife is not into guns, but she does not question my expenditures on them. I am not into scrapbooking, but I do not question her expenditures on them. We have joint hobbies and interests and separate hobbies and interests.
That is exactly the same way that we do our money too. We are both CPA's.
Old February 19, 2019, 10:10 AM   #48
IdaD

Interesting how there's such a wide variety of how spouses set up and handle finances. For us it's all in one pot and either of us has authority to do things, but in practice anything somewhat expensive is discussed in advance.

Last edited by IdaD; February 19, 2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old February 19, 2019, 10:32 AM   #49
TailGator

My wife of 35 years isn't as avid about handguns as am I, but she enjoys them, has a license to carry concealed and does so, and goes to the range with me once in a while. My current collection is modest, but I am content with it, and she is fine with it, too. We are at an age where collecting more stuff of any sort is losing its appeal.
Old February 19, 2019, 10:38 AM   #50
Wag

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarandTd View Post
I'm sorry for your loss, Wag. Sounds like she was a good lady.
Thank you. She was the best.

--Wag--