The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 5, 2019, 09:33 PM   #1
Blindstitch

Blah Black or Camo Wrap

I've been looking for a duck, turkey, goose... shotgun for a while and one of the biggest factors after functionality seems to be color.

Is it worth $100-150 extra for a camo wrap, leave it black and reap the savings or spray the plastic with spraypaint to your own liking, cerecote...

What would you do?

Maybe it's just me but the blah black ones seem to lack soul.
Old January 5, 2019, 11:36 PM   #2
Sharkbite

Rattle can that thing and go kill some ducks
Old January 6, 2019, 12:20 PM   #3
TB9

Yeah there’s a lot of YouTube out there with instructional videos on how to do your own stuff. HTH
Old January 7, 2019, 12:41 AM   #4
bamaranger

tape, paint and factory finish

For many, many years, I went through the spring ritual of camo taping my blued Rem 870 turkey gun, and swapping out the glossy wood butt stock and fore end with synthetic ones (which I painted and left that way). Matte and camo guns were not available when I bought that 870 ( neither were choke tubes!) The tape was a pain, if you didn't stay after it, moisture would get trapped and could lead to rust, and there is a lot of rain in the spring woods!
But I liked the blue steel and walnut for hunting everything else, and the old Rem was my only shotgun, so I repeated the process annually. Aggravating.

I got other smoothbores, and eventually got away from small game hunting in general. A stubby, rifle sighted, choke tubed barrel went on the 870, the synthetic stocks stayed on board, and I spray painted the whole thing, touch it up as needed. It looks AWFUL, but kills gobblers just as good as ever. The pretty walnut and 26" fixed choke barrel set (IC and Full) stay in storeage, much the pity, but far less aggravation for me.

I think I'd buy the matte black gun, spray paint a redneck camo pattern on it if I felt I needed it (likely don't) and put the money saved towards quality duds, boots or shells.
Old January 7, 2019, 03:24 PM   #5
Blindstitch

You guys are probably right. I've been trying to decide between a Stoeger M3500 and a Mossberg 935. The Mossberg has been elusive but the Stoegers are everywhere in black.

Of course my wife says you shouldn't have to fix or work on new things. I just tell her i'm modifying.
Old January 9, 2019, 11:03 AM   #6
oldshotty

1) If you are buying new pay the extra and get the camo, rattle canning a new $500 gun
makes no sense.
2) If you plan on shooting 3 1/2 shells get the Mossberg 935 hands down, if not get the Stoeger M3000 not the M3500 without hesitation.
Old January 10, 2019, 07:36 PM   #7
Blindstitch

Planning on shooting 3 1/2 for geese maybe turkeys and 3 for everything else.

I've had way to many incidents where I would run out of 2 3/4 shells and only 3 or 3 1/2 was available. Now I try to stock up better on shells before season but you never know.
Old January 11, 2019, 03:59 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

"...seems to be color..." That's strictly cosmetic. Daffy and Co. will react to movement long before they'll be close enough to even see a shotgun.
Anyway, you can buy a roll of cammo tape in most gun shops for less than $10. Gorilla brand runs $6.49 for a roll 1.88" wide x 9 yards in Cabela's.
Old January 12, 2019, 12:58 AM   #9
Pathfinder45

Go the other way... to be radically different, buck the trends and go retro, go Walnut on Blue.
Old January 12, 2019, 09:28 PM   #10
Blindstitch

Quote:
Go the other way... to be radically different, buck the trends and go retro, go Walnut on Blue.
That's the way I would like to go with either gun but can't seem to find each in a wood stock. Found both the 930 and m3000 in wood but I want 3.5.