The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: Where's the case head when rounds fire?
Against/touching the bolt face as the extractor holds it there. 13 37.14%
Some thousandths off the bolt face; the difference between case and chamber headspacing references. 22 62.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old Today, 10:00 AM   #101
F. Guffey

Quote:
I think what I posted was clear enough. If not, you first need to detail strip your rifle then learn how each part's fit and function changes case fit to chamber using a primed dummy round. Then get or make a case headspace measuring device then learn how to use it. Otherwise, understanding exactly what I did would not be understood.
Make a case headspace measuring devise? I seem to be the only reloader that can make case length measuring devises; in my opinion it is not a difficult task because my cases do not have head space. And then there are those that have an infatuation with go-gages, no go-gages and field reject length gages. I have never found a good fitting gage for the length of the chamber from the shoulder of the chamber to the bolt face.

I have modified go-gages to measure the length of the chamber from go-gage length to infinity in thousandths. I have used field reject length gages to measure go-gage length chambers. And then there are short chambers.

I purchased a barrel that was being advertised as 'short chambered'. I had to ask; "How short?” They claimed the chamber was finished reamed to within .020". The barrel arrived, I measured the length of the chamber from the shoulder to 'case head protrusion', the case head protruded from the barrel .360". I did not have a roughing reamer, meaning; at that rate the reamer was going to have a short life. Most would expect the reamer to finish 20+ barrels.

I understand most are very confused but; where do you find gages for short chambers?

F. Guffey
Old Today, 10:23 AM   #102
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Guffey View Post
Make a case headspace measuring devise?
Yes, with the caliper I bought to measure case length and a half inch long bushing with a .375" inside diameter. Then calibrate it with a GO chamber headspace gauge to read the gauge dimension.

Last edited by Bart B.; Today at 10:33 AM.
Old Today, 12:13 PM   #103
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkeypete View Post
I don’t even understand what you are talking about and I have a degree in physics.
How far will an unrestricted 500 grain cartridge, whose head is resting against the bolt face and its headspace length is .003" less than that of the chamber, be driven forward by a 2.5 ounce firing pin pushed about 8 fps by a 26 pound spring force?
NRA Smallbore Prone Master

Last edited by Bart B.; Today at 12:23 PM.