The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 16, 2019, 02:29 PM   #51
thallub

The so called "vote" in Indianapolis was not a roll call vote. According to Col. West it was a vote of acclamation.
Old May 16, 2019, 08:13 PM   #52
Bartholomew Roberts

I’m having a very difficult time squaring $19 million in a year to Brewer for two? cases (Suing NY and Ackerman McQueen). That sounds insane to me; but then the NRA paid AM $40 million in a year and Lord only knows what that was for.

Apparently around a half million of the fees paid to AM were for clothing allowances and trips to Lake Como for La Pierre.

I look forward to seeing Mr. Cotton at the next Texas Firearms law CLE if he shows.
Old May 17, 2019, 06:31 AM   #53
Tony Z

I've blocked all NRA fundraising emails and tossing all bits of their mail campaign letters. All seem to have LaPierre's face pleading for funds.

They need to return to their roots and a grassroots effort to retake is the only way. I fear the 2A will be facing its biggest challenge ever, over the next few years.

Last edited by Tony Z; May 17, 2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old May 17, 2019, 03:58 PM   #54
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The problem is that two(?) years ago, they revised the by-laws to essentially make it impossible for the members to have any say in how the organization is run.
Old May 17, 2019, 04:20 PM   #55
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

It just gets worse:

https://www.npr.org/templates/transc...ryId=724089957

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/15/72296...ons-at-nonprof

https://thehill.com/regulation/lobby...e-to-step-down

No love for West or North, but I don't see their motivation in doing this.
Old May 17, 2019, 05:48 PM   #56
Bartholomew Roberts

Timothy Knight helped organize resistance to Colorado gun laws. He spent his own money and with others built up a grass roots organization from scratch. He’s been active on the NRA board and spends his own money to attend and take part while receiving nothing. If he is saying he didn’t know, then I don’t believe it was because he was lazy or uninterested.

Sadly, I think the NRA is facing a well-coordinated and funded information operation against it; and its all the more effective because the underlying facts are true.

Last edited by Bartholomew Roberts; May 17, 2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old May 17, 2019, 05:57 PM   #57
Aguila Blanca
Staff

$200,000 is $4,000 per year for fifty years. I'm quite certain that I have never spent anywhere close to $4,000 on clothes in a year, not even when I was working in an office suit-and-tie environment.
Old May 17, 2019, 06:05 PM   #58
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
$200,000 is $4,000 per year for fifty years. I'm quite certain that I have never spent anywhere close to $4,000 on clothes in a year, not even when I was working in an office suit-and-tie environment.
that's only 8 suits a few pairs of shoes, a few ties, and a few shirts. not every year though.
Old May 17, 2019, 06:49 PM   #59
Bartholomew Roberts

Chuck Michel, who has been litigating Second Amendment issues since before I could legally buy a handgun has posted his thoughts on the current scandal. It is worth a read:
https://m.facebook.com/permalink.php...00011088912909

The short version is “Don’t give up the ship. The NRA Board is doing its job and we don’t know the full story yet.”
Old May 17, 2019, 07:00 PM   #60
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS.
that's only 8 suits a few pairs of shoes, a few ties, and a few shirts. not every year though.
Understood, but who buys 8 suits, several pairs of shoes, a few ties and a few shirts EVERY single year, for FIFTY years straight?
Old May 17, 2019, 10:11 PM   #61
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
Too many people will equate the NRA to Goldman Sachs.
I'm thinking more along the lines of Enron and how they were recorded as laughing at the old women freezing because they couldn't keep up with the rate hikes.

I picture the grifters at the NRA as laughing at the naive membership and how the gravy train will never end.

Likely, it won't. Wayne might have to make do with a paltry $1 million/yr, but he and his are set for life. Likely.
Old May 18, 2019, 06:08 AM   #62
littlebikerider

Did I read correctly that LaPierre makes over a million per year? Let him buy his own suits and book his own travel. Members' money is meant to aid the shooting sports and 2A advocacy, not make him posh.

I want the NRA to survive, but the credible evidence means they need to clean house and contribute to their own survival.
Old May 18, 2019, 07:23 AM   #63
punkinhead

I don't have a problem with the NRA covering employee travel, but it better be commercial. I have a big problem paying for chartered jets, especially for Xmas trips to the Bahamas.