The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old March 20, 2019, 07:35 PM   #1
steve4102

Here We Go Again, MO to Nullify Federal Firearms Laws

Senate Bill 367 also know as the Second Amendment Preservation Act was passed by the MO State Senate 23-10.

https://legiscan.com/MO/text/SB367/2019

The bill would prevent any and all state agencies from enforcing Federal Firearms legislation that would infringe on the Second Amendment.
The Bill would also make enforcement of Federal firearms laws within the State of MO by Federal Agents a Criminal Offense

Quote:
“All federal acts, laws, executive orders, administrative orders, court orders, rules, and regulations, whether past, present, or future, which infringe on the people’s right to keep and bear arms as guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the United States I and Section 23 of the Missouri Constitution shall be invalid in this state, shall not be recognized by this state, shall be specifically rejected by this state, and shall be considered null and void and of no effect in this state.”
OK, I get it, they want to "decriminalize" Federal firearms laws and not use State resources to enforce Federal laws. Similar to the marijuana legalization and the sanctuary State nonsense, but to arrest Federal Agents for enforcing Federal Law? Really. Have they lost their minds or is this just another attempt at politicking?
Old March 20, 2019, 08:25 PM   #2
BBarn

Sounds like another misleading and worthless law. Similar to the MT suppressor law.

Seems like enforcement of the law could result in no new guns being shipped into the state.
Old March 20, 2019, 08:34 PM   #3
TXAZ

{Soapbox_Mode_ON}
It is truly unfortunate that some politicians don’t realize this country has some serious issues to deal with. Instead of addressing REAL problems, they want to verbally massage the public and say they did what their constituents wanted.
I hope they do pass the the legislation, and then the feds come in and make arrests for conspiracy and obstruction against the lawmakers.
(Yea I know that won’t happen)
{Soapbox_Mode_OFF}

Thanks doc, I feel so much better now.

And you’re spot on BBarn.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes

Last edited by TXAZ; March 20, 2019 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Typo
Old March 20, 2019, 09:24 PM   #4
Brownstone322

This kinda stuff does more harm than good. As a gun owner and gun-rights advocate, I don't wanna be associated with nonsense like this, but I think it nonetheless has potential to reflect on all of us.
Old March 20, 2019, 09:49 PM   #5
Glenn E. Meyer

Send a check to candidate X. That's all this is about.

A state cannot nullify Federal law. However, one notes that there was significant state resistance to the Fugitive Slave laws with resistance to and non cooperation with slave catchers with Federal mandates or Federal agents involved in catching fugitive slaves.

However, this is just posturing as there is no chance of state agents arresting Federal agents.
Old March 20, 2019, 10:34 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

There is also probably no chance of this bill becoming law ...
Old March 21, 2019, 01:04 AM   #7
ballardw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
Send a check to candidate X. That's all this is about.

A state cannot nullify Federal law. However, one notes that there was significant state resistance to the Fugitive Slave laws with resistance to and non cooperation with slave catchers with Federal mandates or Federal agents involved in catching fugitive slaves.

However, this is just posturing as there is no chance of state agents arresting Federal agents.
An awful lot seem to be doing okay nullifying regulations for Marijuana...
Old March 21, 2019, 05:08 AM   #8
Roamin_Wade

I’m all for any state law which makes its law more prime than federal law. Plus, most folks don’t realize that a sheriff of a county has more power than any other state or federal law enforcement agency or entity. They only made one mistake when they wrote the Constitution and it is the third word on the document. Instead of We The People, it should read We The States. The people make a state and the states form the union. See?
Old March 21, 2019, 06:49 AM   #9
steve4102

Quote:
The Bill would also make enforcement of Federal firearms laws within the State of MO by Federal Agents a Criminal Offense
I got this from this article.
https://gunsinthenews.com/state-sena...-control-laws/

I should have read the actual bill first, as now that I have, I cannot find the part that says Federal agents enforcing Federal Laws will be a criminal offense.

https://legiscan.com/MO/text/SB367/2019
Old March 21, 2019, 07:49 AM   #10
Glenn E. Meyer

Sheriffs being the most powerful is a fringe viewpoint. We do not need incorrect reports.
So closed.