The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 3, 2019, 08:54 AM   #1
Ultra12

Need a second gun for USPSA

I started shooting production in local clubs with a Glock 34 gen 4 mos( although i dont use optics yet)  that I bought for that specific purpose. build a rig and started shooting. In the last match we were standing waiting and just shooting the and someone suggested that instead of waiting we should be shooting multiple productions. got me thinking and the easiest would be to add Carry Optics. that means another slide or a second gun. I lied the idea of a second gun. one as a back up and also same platform so easy to switch during the match and not time consuming.

I am told between these two options and need your help:

1.   get another glock 34 gen 4 and have two identical guns with and with out optics. great as back up as well.

2.   get glock 17 mos gen 4 and put optics on it. as sight radius in no longer as important. it should fit fine in my blade tech signature.

maybe the answer should be get both lol ,  but i am looking from opinions of those that compete as this purchase is for shooting competition and nothing else. 
Old June 3, 2019, 04:22 PM   #2
stephen426

Makes sense to me. You are already familiar with the platform and have accessories you can share. A second slide would probably be the cheapest and the easiest to swap back and forth. Getting the 17, if you can afford to do so would also be a great option. Like you said, the optic makes sight radius a non-issue. There will be a weight and handling difference though so you might want to just go with another 34. The more you shoot of a specific gun, the more you become accustomed to it. That difference can mean the difference between a win and a loss in a close match.
Old June 4, 2019, 10:54 AM   #3
Jim Watson

I would not want to be flip flopping slides on the range to shoot two divisions, I'd get the extra gun.

I'd get another G34. While sight radius does not apply to an optic, I would still want the same balance and heft.
Old June 5, 2019, 09:44 AM   #4
Don P

Quote:
I would not want to be flip flopping slides on the range to shoot two divisions
Match director has to approve multiple divisions and only one will be shot for match score. A level 1 match may allow competitors to enter multiple divisions for match recognition.
Rule #6.2.4, 6.2.4.1
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.