The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 13, 2007, 03:19 PM   #1
GLP Standard

Whats involved in becoming a Class III (dealer)?

I know first off that you have to have an FFL to get your Class III License, so lets start there. Whats involved first off in getting an FFL? What kind of yearly fees are there? How much income could I expect to make if I did transfers of Title 1 firearms out of my house on the side, averaging say....2 weapons a month just to start?

Then, whats involved in getting a Class III? I know it costs $500 a year, and you have to have a place of business for a legal address to put on your License. Does this mean I couldn't work out of my house? If you're a Class III Dealer, don't you get to have Post-ban machineguns as dealer demo's and such? In other words, if I had a Class III, could I legally own a machinegun made after 1986, perhaps for a much lower price than Pre-ban machineguns go for? What would I expect to pay for say, a Post-ban MP5 if I had a Class III and could legally own one? If Im giving any misinformation, this is all stuff Ive read on the internet, and Im fairly new to Title 2 firearms, so bear with me.

-Chris
Old November 13, 2007, 04:15 PM   #2
smithrob75

From what I understand you can own post samples or demos, but you can't keep them if you give up your license. You also pay an annual fee and the Government has full access, meaning they can come see you anytime night or day, my dealer said an agen stayed with him at Christmas-time. He sais it's a lot of trouble really, he doesn't even have time to shoot. Also he said you have to deal with a lot of crap, a guy and 5 buddies from the ghetto will want to stop by and see your guns.

I know my guy has a strict policy of you coming alone and he pretty much makes sure you have the money as a lot of people just waste your time.
Old November 13, 2007, 11:17 PM   #3
VUPDblue

Quote:
How much income could I expect to make if I did transfers of Title 1 firearms out of my house on the side, averaging say....2 weapons a month just to start?
I won't pay more than $20 for a simple transfer. $20x2 per month=$40.

As for owning dealer samples; if you want an MP5, buy one. Getting into becoming a C3 dealer just so you can have post-samples is not generally a good idea. You will most likely finding yourself spending way more $$ than if you just got a transferable.
Old November 14, 2007, 05:37 AM   #4
GLP Standard

Good information. Its not something that would happen right away. Just an idea for much farther down the road. I think there was one main question I had that wasnt answered. Is there an anual fee for being an FFL dealer? If so, how much?