The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 20, 2010, 03:23 PM   #1
SolomonMan

Getting Started

All,
I have been watching this forum for a few weeks now and have learned a tremendous amount. Thanks!

Where I am at;

1) State Mandated (OH) Hunter Safety - Completed
2) Trapping Education (OH) - Completed (not required but looked interesting..I also took the boating safety for my fishing\future waterfowl excursions??)
3) Firearm purchased (12 Gauge Winchester,.22 Remington w/scope, Savage .22 bolt action) (12 Gauge was a gift from Wife)
4) Purchased orange required jackets and a few pieces of cold weather camo clothing (gloves,jacket,pants etc)
5) I have read quite a bit (magazine,forums,books,regulation pamphlet,etc)

I have no mentor nor anybody in my family that has hunted in the last 50 years. I do have friends and family that do have firearms and I do have the support of my family in this endeavor. I am in my mid-30s with young kids who I would love to pass hunting/fishing on to but the "old man" needs to get hunting down. I do recognize I need to get my shot down pat with my arms before going afield as well as my hunting permit etc.

I think my problem is quarry and confidence...Around Northwest Ohio\Ohio we have a healthy population of whitetail deer and our waterfowl I guess is fairly decent as well. We have public hunting areas, at least from what I have read, that are within 100 miles. Many of which I have fished, camped, or visited sometime in my life.

As this years hunting time is limited in Ohio, I think I would like to get out in the field at least once. The hunting regulations, based on my firearms, limit my quarry down to mostly small game/waterfowl. I am mainly concerned with a quick ethical kill and not somehow messing someone else's hunt up.

I have considered guided services for small/large game as well.

Can someone chime in, especially if you were in my shoes once, how you got to your first hunt. Also opinion on guided service for both big game and small game. Also do guided services deal with no experience people like myself?

Thanks,
Chris
Old December 20, 2010, 03:56 PM   #2
davlandrum

Chris,

I want to applaud you for trying to get into a sport that is kinda difficult to get into without some help. I don't have a lot to offer, other than try and find someone - through work, church, local sporting goods store, friend of a friend. Your helper may come from a totally unexpected direction.

I will comment on your guide question, regarding dealing with inexperienced hunters. If you decide to go that route, just lay it out there - that you are new at this and need some coaching along the way. Some guides will be fine with it, and some will shy away from it.

Good luck in your endeavors!

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old December 20, 2010, 05:02 PM   #3
Buzzcook

Holy Toledo, you've done a lot so far. The hunter safety class and knowing the area you plan to hunt are probably the best investments you can make.

Check out last years hunting reports from your state fish and wildlife folks. Pick the game unit near you that has the most deer harvested and the highest hunter success rate. Go there before the season and scope the area out. If you can sit around at dawn and dusk observing the wildlife.

Deer like edges. So if you find an open area in the middle of a wood that has deer sign that's a good place to set up a blind or a tree stand.
Old December 20, 2010, 05:42 PM   #4
cnimrod

welcome aboard

i was lucky enough to have my dad pass down his love of hunting. have you tried looking for local hunting groups online - yahoo or something like that. many hunters are happy to coach a newbie. Seems I've spent the last few years helping my son and some friends get their first deer. good luck to you.
Old December 20, 2010, 06:12 PM   #5

Try going to your local video store and looking for some hunting videos. The TV shows of today touch on some things, but are mostly for entertainment. When I started there were some really good one out there that had a good bit of educational value. Books and magazine can also provide you with some of the basics before you take the field. However, the truth of the of the matter is that trial and error is the best way to learn. Remember, every member of this forum started as a "greenhorn" at some point in their life. I'm in Michigan so, I'm not too far from ya brother. I would think deer season is winding down around your parts. I would suggest some after season scouting in the areas you plan to try. There is nothing like snow on the ground for easy scouting. This will give you an idea of how many deer are left in the area and where they are moving. Here's a tip, the deer's movments will change next year when it's early fall (they won't tend to be as herded up) but, if you can find the areas with higher deer densities, it'll sure make things easier next year. Good luck, I hope this helps.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old December 20, 2010, 07:22 PM   #6
bswiv

I'm impressed........wish you were closer.......

Only thing I can offer from this far away is this:

Think hard about what you consider a successful hunt to be. If it revolves completely around comming back to the house with something to toss on the stove you may be disapointed.

Focus some thought on the satisfaction of learning something new on each trip, of seeing non-game wildlife do unusual things ( Trust me they will if you watch them. ) & on the selfreliance being alone in the woods fosters.

Treat any animal you are fortuinate enough to carry home as a bonus and you'll seldom have a unhappy hunting trip.
Old December 20, 2010, 09:05 PM   #7
Doyle

Deer season is about over in Oh, so you probably won't get a chance to go until next season.

In the meantime, see how long small game season lasts. I've said it before and I'll say it again. EVERY skill you need to hunt deer except one can be mastered on the humble squirrel. The only skill that squirrel hunting won't give you is scent control and even that you can "pretend" and practice while in the woods.

The great thing about squirrel hunting after deer season closes is that other hunters in public woods (like wildlife management areas or national forrests) doen't get really ****** off when a newby screws up their hunt by wondering around making noise. Do that during deer season and you'll make others mad and scare off any deer in the area. Doing it during small game season can teach you when to move, when to sit and watch, etc.
Old December 20, 2010, 10:04 PM   #8
kaylorinhi

Welcome

As with others welcome to the addiction of feeding yourself and the enjoyment of the outdoors. I had a lot of firearms knowledge when I started but no real hunter/mentor. I was the guy who asked the questions and listened. My first big game(whitetail) was last year! Today I got a nice doe and My First Coyote. It is a fast but rewarding learning curve! As suggested before talk to everyone about the 5W's and check their answers with others, also check back here, these guys know alot! Feel free to PM me anytime! I would also suggest looking into a centerfire rifle, some of the starter packages can be had for less than $450.
Old December 20, 2010, 10:57 PM   #9
sparky241

PHP Code:
I was lucky enough to have my dad pass down his love of huntinghave you tried looking for local hunting groups online yahoo or something like thatmany hunters are happy to coach a newbieSeems I've spent the last few years helping my son and some friends get their first deer. good luck to you 
ive heard that allot but i cant find anyone who will. i would love to get into the hunting arena.

congrats man, it take some will to get out there on your own and hunt.

take a look at scent blockers too. i heard they really help.

- I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery
Old December 20, 2010, 10:58 PM   #10
sparky241

sorry dbl post

- I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery
Old December 21, 2010, 02:32 PM   #11
SolomonMan

Getting Started.....

All,
Thanks for the encouragement! ( It helps a lot! )

I was thinking, even more so after every ones responses, small game\waterfowl this year. This will allow me to scout after the deer season is over. Get me afield and a start on building my skills.

A successful hunt, at least in my opinion, is not measured by how much meat is in my freezer but how much outdoor time you get away from everything. I have enjoyed the outdoors since I was very young.
In the non-winter months I fish for Walleye (Maumee River and Lake Erie), Rainbow Trout (Local Quarries (maybe Cold Creek this year)), and Yellow Perch (Lake Erie). I do not get a freezer full of any of the above but my family and I do have a good meal from time to time, and at the same time have a great time outdoors. The old saying "the worse day fishing is still better then the best day at work" applies more often then not.

I have begun the last few weeks searching for more information on hunting but its amazing to me that most of my local libraries information is more then a decade or two old. The information is good (maybe dated) but I will also check out the video selection. As was said previously most of the videos I have seen in the past are not very instructional but more of a entertainment type. Most of the useful information I have come across has come from Ohio Dept. of Natural Resources and online forums.

I have thought about rabbits or geese for my small game quarry.The deer hunt will have to be with someone and/or once I have more experience. I thought about geese first as the season will be over in January. This time frame places my time to go afield sometime over my vacation but family (Christmas) may affect this ability.

My wife this year, after knowing my goal to go afield, though I believe has something up her sleeve for Christmas. After thinking about who can possibly take me out on my first hunt, outside my local and immediate family and the fact that its Christmas, had me go through others I never thought of before. Family members that live 1000s of miles away popped into the picture. I know her brother used to hunt but he lives in California (US Marine Corp) but he is in town for Christmas the next week or so. My wife has hinted that my gift has come from Bass Pro...and that I will be very pleased overall ...Time will tell if this is all coincidence.

I have looked at other local groups. There is a Hunt Ohio group (forum broke down by state region) that I have been following as well as a Great Lakes Waterfowl group. I have only been watching these forums for about a week or so but have been encouraged by everyone willingness to help others. I have seen other posting where people were looking for a follow hunter to go afield and areas that have proved themselves good hunting areas. So I may give that approach a shot as well.

I appreciate all the help
and please keep the suggestions coming,
Chris
Old December 21, 2010, 02:41 PM   #12
Doyle

I don't want to rain on your new-found parade but goose hunting might be a stretch (at least hunting with any hope of real success). Even though geese are waterfowl, most successful goose hunting is actually done on dry land - farm fields to be specific. It generally requires a large number of decoys, proper blind, etc.

Sure, you might be able to set up on a marsh and get a pass shot or two. But at the height geese tend to fly (other than when about to set down), getting a hit on one is kind of a long shot (pun intended).

Now, your rabbit idea is good. Yummy too.
Old December 21, 2010, 03:52 PM   #13
SolomonMan

Getting Started....

Good point on the goose hunt....

I am thinking now geese may be a long shot but rabbit is definitely more likely, especially considering the family requirements at Christmas. Unless the wife and Brother in Law come through.

I have had domesticated rabbit many many times....at least one person in the family has raised rabbits for 4H, scouts, or for the rabbit "show" scene. This has been going on for over the past 25 years.

Is there a big taste difference between cottontail and domesticated rabbits? Snowshoe hares are not a species to hunt in Ohio and I believe that just leaves the cottontails.

The cottontail season is open till the end of February in Ohio.

I have also explored a hunting club which is about a hour from me (less then 50 miles). It appears "to have a licensed shooting preserve available both to members & the general public. The family-run, family-oriented preserve is open year-round and offers quality pheasant, chukar, and quail hunting from September through March." They seem very nice on the phone and there website is very informative.

Here is a question all the above (pheasant, chukar, and quail) seasons close in the first week of January and it appears quail is not even hunt-able in any county close to me (southern counties). Being a newbie at this is there special permits given to large hunting clubs? I do not remember anything said about this in the my Hunters Ed.

I came across this as I was looking for a good place for shooting lessons and places to practice my shot. One of my local places, I used to shoot with my late father, is in a remodeling state as they recently had a fire that gutted a large part of there facilities. Upon searching on the web I came across the hunting club and they seem to have a nice arrangement for lessons and practicing.

Any opinions on Hunting clubs? Good and Bad things about clubs?

Thanks,
Chris
Old December 21, 2010, 04:08 PM   #14
Doyle

In many parts of the country, hunting clubs are the ONLY way to get decent hunting. Down in the south, a club is typically formed around the lease of a particular piece of land. When the lease on that land is not renewed, the club disolves. The number of hunters belonging to a particluar lease/club depends on the size of the land, the density of animals, and the amount of money the club members are willing to cough up (i.e. if you want less people, you have to pay more per person).

In Ga, a typical membership will run anywhere from about $500 to $1000 per hunter. Here in SW Fl, memberships can run from $2500 up to well over $6000 - and that's if you can even find one.
Old December 21, 2010, 04:47 PM   #15
SolomonMan

Getting Started....

All,
The price is about the same as Doyle has quoted for Georgia with the right to bring one immediate family at a time (son,wife,daughter) to the club as well for the price. It has a special for a hunting buddy as well which knocks off a few hundred off the normal per person price.

Looking things over I believe the club is probably worth what the club has to offer which includes its members, facilities, and finally its activities. The club this year, looking over the activities, sheet has an active group. So its something to consider....

Is there special permits given to large hunting clubs? Being a newbie I am curious.

Please chime in with anything else on clubs you can add.

Thanks,
Chris
Old December 21, 2010, 04:55 PM   #16
DiscoRacing

Chris... where ya live in OH??
Old December 21, 2010, 05:51 PM   #17
SolomonMan

Getting Started...

Toledo Area....
Old December 21, 2010, 06:19 PM   #18
DiscoRacing

Thought ya might have been closer to WV... I have a friend here who teaches classes for concealed carry and for tactical/self defense training. Also have a private range here...and hunting land. Just was gonna invite ya out to help out.
Old December 21, 2010, 06:27 PM   #19
SolomonMan

Getting Started....

Thanks for the consideration...

After talking to the wife she also mentioned she has a uncle on her mother side that has acreage up in Missouri. Unfortunately he has emphysema now and his heart has been giving him some issue so he is probably not able. She also mentioned something about a cousin (son of the uncle in Missouri) that has hunted as well.

I will keep turning over leafs, I am bound to find family or someone. I am going to mention it at the Christmas get-together(s) and see what comes up as well.

Thanks again,
Chris
Old December 21, 2010, 07:14 PM   #20
seansean1444

i use squirrell hunting on state land. they are easy to hunt and at the same time you can be scouting for your big game aminlals like deer to see where they are and find good spots. thats where i would start
Old December 21, 2010, 07:46 PM   #21
Doyle

Quote:
Is there special permits given to large hunting clubs? Being a newbie I am curious.
Depends on the state. Here in Fl, we can only hunt does one week a year (other than archery season which is either sex). If you happen to have a large plot of land (I forget the size but I think it is around 600+acres), you can apply for special doe permits if the population needs controlling. The lease clubs that are in areas that need doe control do indeed obtain extra doe permits. Many times, these permits are used for guests that want to come hunt so that the guest isn't shooting one of their trophy animals.
Old December 22, 2010, 09:24 AM   #22
L_Killkenny

Squirrel hunting is a great way to start. It will teach you how to be a woodsman more than many other hunting styles and much of what a person learns while squirrel hunting transfers over to other game like deer, coyote and fox. Patience, stealth, marksmanship, etc are all part of squirrel hunting.

Rabbit hunting without a dog is just trudging thru the woods.
Pheasant/Bird hunting without a dog is just trudging thru the weeds.
Not much to be learned there.

LK
Old December 22, 2010, 03:31 PM   #23
SolomonMan

Getting Started...

Squirrels....

Funny you guys mention squirrels, as last night at my sons cub scout meeting the grandpa of one of the boys in my wife's and my Wolf Den hunt squirrel. I did talk to him about squirrel hunting. I was mentioning that I recently completed the hunting education course and looking for my first hunt. He suggested squirrel or other small game. He said he went to squirrel hunting as hauling out a deer got to be a little much for him. I have never eaten a squirrel nor really ever consider them a major hunt-able species until that last few days. All I hear around here is waterfowl and whitetail deer.

I will look squirrel hunting up online/library as well...thanks for the tip. From looking at other posts online I noticed there are actually squirrel calls and many different types of squirrels. Around here we have red and fox squirrels, I believe, as well as grey and I have even seen a black squirrel a time or two.

Thanks for the information on the permits for large land owners. I checked with the club and they can provide dogs for a small fee, something like 20-30 bucks when I spoke to the owner.

Thanks everyone for the information,
Chris
Old December 22, 2010, 04:04 PM   #24
jimbob86

I understand you have quite a bit of snow in OH right now, correct?

You might try cottontail rabbit hunting the first bright day.... tracks in new snow make finding rabbits easier and after days of hiding from the cold, they want to be out and about. Rabbit hunting is simple......

Finding a place to hunt is the hard part.
Old December 23, 2010, 08:46 AM   #25
SolomonMan

Getting Started.....

All,
First Off thanks for the information and support its been very very helpful!

It appears that I really do have quite a bit of options here in Ohio at this point;

We have squirrels that season closes at the end of January which will teach me quite a bit about hunting (calling, stalking, shooting, etc).

We have rabbit, minus the dogs at this point, after a snow. We get a fair share of that in Northwest Ohio. The season on Rabbits closes at the end of February.

We also have Waterfowl and upland game birds as well. While more costly, for either a guide service or club its possible still. The season on these possibilities are closing though at different times based on species and hunting location.

I am looking over the maps, received from the ODNR website, and have begun to explore the public hunting lands based on the above. I am trying to figure a date, outside the holidays, where I can go afield.

Thanks everyone for the help and I will keep you all posted,
Chris