The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 27, 2015, 06:23 PM   #1
johnwilliamson062

Ciener

I am looking for 22lr conversions and I see Ciener is still running, but I can't find any retailers that carry his product. It seems direct order is the only option. Given the customer service reputation I'd really hoped to pay a middleman to handle Mr. Ciener. Anyone know if his past legal scare lead to an improvement in customer service?

Anyone have experience with the hipower or Mini-14 conversions?
Old February 27, 2015, 06:35 PM   #2
Rembrandt

I have a BHP Ciener conversion kit, bought it before his legal problems. I love the unit, it works flawlessly.

Wouldn't hesitate to buy another, but like you, not sure the guy can be trusted.

Old February 27, 2015, 06:40 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

No experience with the Mini-14 conversion, but I can't recommend it. The bore is too big and you'll get a lot of leading from shooting 22 LR in an adapter fitted inside the .223's bore.
Old February 28, 2015, 10:12 PM   #4
Chuck Dye

About 15 years ago ordered a 1911 kit and extra magazine directly from Ciener. I received the kit I ordered and an entire second kit rather than the second magazine. When I called Ciener about returning the unordered kit I was invited to keep it at no charge: a complete second kit for the price of the spare magazine.

What is this customer service problem you write of?

Last edited by Chuck Dye; March 1, 2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old March 1, 2015, 08:35 AM   #5
Rembrandt

It seems that Mr Ciener has a very good product line that he developed and designed. I speculate he feels more comfortable in the role of a machinist/designer and loathes the marketing side of the business.

He does not want to answer phone calls or respond to emails. He's not interested in credit card purchases for his web site.....checks or money orders only. It may take weeks for the product to ship until the checks clear his bank. Communication with him and his company is best done by mail, but you'll have to wait till he has time to respond and at his convenience.
Old March 1, 2015, 11:22 PM   #6
johnwilliamson062

Is anyone else marketing his designs?
It nearly terrifies me, that although his designs seem to be the best of the 22lr conversion lot, no one seems interested in dealing with him on a wholesale level.

Looking for contact information on his website I found:
Quote:
This conversion we hope to be able to offer early in 2003.
Is it really 12 years out of date? Maybe I don't even have the current website. I've only found such things on out of business companies websites previously.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; March 2, 2015 at 01:40 AM.
Old March 2, 2015, 08:49 AM   #7
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
It nearly terrifies me, that although his designs seem to be the best of the 22lr conversion lot, no one seems interested in dealing with him on a wholesale level.
Can you blame them?

No, I do not think his recent legal issues would have rehabilitated his bad attitude toward customers. If anything, I am sure it just reenforced his view that he is handling everything just fine in the manner he wants to handle it