The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 6, 2018, 08:39 AM   #1
Eddiejoe

.450 Bushmaster Conversion

Hello everyone!
I have a wild hair to try a conversion on my AR.
I'm looking at a few manufacturers. While recommendations are always appreciated, my purpose here is more educational.
I have a CORE-15 as my lower. I'm guessing all ARs are not created equal.
Will the manufacturer know whether their product is suitable for my rifle?
Are there conversions that are truly "drop-in," or will there be some gunsmithing with all of them?

Thanks,
Ed
Old June 6, 2018, 04:17 PM   #2
Scorch

Quote:
Will the manufacturer know whether their product is suitable for my rifle?
While the manufacturer may or may not answer your question, here are a few points to consider:
* AR-15s are a standardized modular platform. Lower receivers accept uppers from virtually any other manufacturer because they are all made to the same standards and dimensions. Not so with AR-10/AR308/LR308 lowers and uppers.

* This standardization means that any upper you attach to your lower will produce a given recoil impulse (to specifications with some latitude). So, attach a 50 Beowulf upper, it works. Attach a 224 Valkyrie upper, it works. And, just for you, attach a 450 Bushmaster upper, it works. And works means it will not damage the lower receiver and recoil system. The key is the upper configuration.

* As a gunsmith, I assemble and install uppers/lowers all the time. The main reason for that is that people do not feel it is cost justified to buy the tools (about $150 or so will take care of most of the tools) and assemble their own upper when they have no plans to build any more or learn how to. So, typically, no gunsmith required to put an upper on a lower, they are truly "drop-in". Buy an upper receiver assembly and slap it on.

* I said "upper receiver assembly" because when you start getting into weird cartridges, you may need different bolt, magazine, gas blocks, etc. But if you buy a whole assembly, you don't have to go through the "learning curve" by buying the wrong parts, breaking stuff, or missing out on a range trip because you don't have the right pieces. After your first one you may want to build your own, but buy the first one complete and learn about what you have.
Old June 6, 2018, 05:22 PM   #3
Eddiejoe

Thanks Scorch!
Old June 23, 2018, 09:54 AM   #4
Ledslnger

I am sure that companies that sell complete uppers test the heck out of them. I can't see you running into many issues. Issues with complete uppers and complete lowers are probably like hitting the lottery. There is a chance, but it is a small one. Just my take on it though. Lots have far more experience with ARs. But, I think that gun companies test new products the same whether it is an AR, a new bolt action, etc.