The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 8, 2017, 09:18 AM   #26
mps

The EGW chamber checker has very tight tolerances, and herein probably lies much (or all) of your problem.

After acquiring an EGW chamber checker, I began having the same problem that you are experiencing about cartridges not "passing" the gauge. After searching for information, I discovered that there are multiple reports of the same issue with this gauge.

I am not disparaging the EGW product; it is well made. But the tolerances are for match ammo and not the ammunition we shoot for pleasure.

The cartridges that did not pass my EGW gauge easily passed my Dillon and L E Wilson cases gauges. They also passed the "plunk and spin" test in my barrels. That's when I ceased using the EGW gauge, and all the worries disappeared.

Suggestion: Get an L E Wilson or a Dillon case gauge and use it. Alternatively, just use the chamber in your barrel as a "plunk and spin" case gauge (when all is said and done, it's whether the cartridge fits your chamber that really matters).

If you use a case gauge, keep it clean inside and out. A flake of powder or residue from case lube, etc., can prevent a perfectly good cartridge from passing the gauge. Alcohol on a cleaning patch works well.

Are you aware that problems with the cartridge extractor rim can cause failure to pass the case gauge? If not, just say so and an explanation will be forthcoming.

You have done the right thing by asking questions. Hope this helps. All the best.
Old April 8, 2017, 01:35 PM   #27
BRICK_2027

Okay guys we struck some gold. First thing i did was seat the bullet deeper to about 1.190" and it worked great. Cycled some dummy rounds through a few of my 9mms and they all went. I'm gonna make some and head to the range tomorrow to see how they do.

Once again I'd like to thank everyone for their help and responses. I learned a whole lot from you guys and it made me realize that even though I may be doing okay in my reloading, there is so much more to know and understand. Thank you all, I'll report back after the range tomorrow.
Old April 8, 2017, 04:00 PM   #28
jetinteriorguy

Just remember to lower your load a little and work back up since seating deeper can raise pressure.
Old April 8, 2017, 07:16 PM   #29
ShootistPRS

I ran into a similar problem when I first started loading for my CZ75B. I used the OAL listed in the manual and didn't give it a second thought until I tried to fire them. The CZ has a very short leade and the bullet was hitting the rifling enough to lodge the bullet in the bore.
I had to go home, check the lengths and specs and then disassemble and load all 200 cases to fit my chamber.
Lesson learned: The chamber of your gun will determine the overall length.
Old April 9, 2017, 03:28 PM   #30
Old Man Pete

Have question about reloading using Alliant Powder

Has anyone used Alliant Powder (Power Pistol) for reloading 9mm? I went to the Hornady Handbook 10th Edition Page #867, found the Power Pistol listed and used an average starting load of 5.5gr - 5.6gr. What a surprise using my Taurus PT111 the rounds went well all except the fire ball out the end of the barrel. is that expected with Alliant Powder?
Old April 9, 2017, 04:59 PM   #31
74A95

Power Pistol is well known for its flash.

It's also one of the most accurate powders in use in the 9mm Luger.
Old April 9, 2017, 08:50 PM   #32
Tsquared

Power Pistol is very popular w/ 9mm.

I still prefer CFE-Pistol
Old April 10, 2017, 09:16 AM   #33
BWM

My new Lyman 50th the OAL is 1.060 for the 124 gr JHP and for the 125gr JHP is 1.075
Old April 11, 2017, 11:46 AM   #34
CombatDiver

Did you measure the diameter of the projectiles? Yes, the curve of the projectiles may also be responsible and typically seating them lower helps if that's an option. I'll continue to watch what comes of this and contribute if I notice anything.

Tags
9mm , fmj , lee dies