The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 16, 2015, 06:22 PM   #1
pylonguy

Dan Wesson - 9mm models

I've been looking at some Dan Wesson 1911s and am looking to get one chambered in 9mm. Due to the cost/availability of the ammo and ease of shooting I will shoot far more and often than I could in 45ACP which was a tough decision.
This gun will function primarily as a range gun and will not be carried.

These are the 3 Dan Wessons I have seen in 9mm.
-DW- Pointman-nine 9mm - Gov't size. Not crazy about adjustable sights. Stainless steel frame, should be very soft shooting with largest sight radius.
-DW- Guardian 9mm- Commander size. I think this is just the right fit for what I want. I like the black duty finish, fixed sights, bobtail. Lightweight alloy frame- Which is nice but a heavier gun would be softer to shoot. Still this is only 9mm so shouldn't make a large impact.
-DW- Eco 9mm - Officer size, too small for me

I'd love to handle one, but the only DW Ive seen around are the Valor in 45.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience between the Pointman and the Guardian. I am not making any sudden decisions "just browsing"

...or I could just send my stock BHP to C&S and invest that money into the BHP instead.
Old February 16, 2015, 11:05 PM   #2
hoghead 32

I have the Valor/CBOB/45/4.24"and the ECO/45/3.5". Both black,Kinda like the ECO best for ease of use,lighter weight, can be carried,short break-in periods...when you buy Dan Wessons they grow on you.....become family! Sold the Ed Brown/45/5" longer break-in I felt and not as multi-purpose.
Old February 16, 2015, 11:47 PM   #3
rock185

I've had two Pointman 9s, still have one. Having had Baers, Wilsons, Rock Rivers etc to compare with the Dan Wessons, I consider the DWs to be well worth the asking price. Very reliable pistols, and the only "production" 1911s I've owned that displayed evidence of hand fitting of some of the components. I know you're looking for a range gun, but if needed I would not hesitate to carry the DW. BTW, I could say the same of the STI Trojan 9MM as to both being worth the asking price, and so reliable that I would not hesitate to carry that one either. Both these guns just work without any of the drama I see posted about the problematic/unreliable 9MM 1911s requiring adjustments to extractors, ejectors, recoil springs, magazines, etc, since JMB didn't design the gun for the 9MM. Ok, but my 9MM DWs, STI, and even three 9MM Kimbers, just worked with any factory ammo, or reloads, I tried. I guess I'm doing something wrong;-)

PS, I realize that fixed "combat" sights are all the rage, but I've carried adjustable sighted 1911s. As long as the corners of the rear sight blade are slightly rounded, no problem. The rear sight blades of the DW are slightly angled, and STI are slightly rounded.
Old February 17, 2015, 08:33 AM   #4
geetarman

I have a PM9 and a Valor. They are both super guns.

The PM9 is just a fabulous soft shooter and as smooth as can be. I have shot some custom 9s and this one is better than the ones I have tried.

To be fair, I have a Smith and Wesson Pro Series and a Springfield M1911A1 in 9 and they will give the PM9 a run for the money accuracy wise. Overall smoothness goes to the Dan Wesson.

Carpe Cerveza
Old February 17, 2015, 10:52 PM   #5
KyJim

I own a Guardian in 9mm and really like it. I don't find recoil to be an issue at all and don't think most people will. Fit and finish are very nice. I own a Pointman in 10mm (Pointman 7). It's a good gun but I personally like my Guardian better.
Old February 17, 2015, 11:03 PM   #6
pylonguy

thanks everyone. I'm glad to hear from someone who owns a guardian as well.

Are they as finicky as people say? I've heard due to the very tight fit they can be very sensitive to over lubricating and jamming.
Old February 18, 2015, 05:45 AM   #7
kcub

Quote:
I have a PM9 and a Valor. They are both super guns.

The PM9 is just a fabulous soft shooter and as smooth as can be. I have shot some custom 9s and this one is better than the ones I have tried.

To be fair, I have a Smith and Wesson Pro Series and a Springfield M1911A1 in 9 and they will give the PM9 a run for the money accuracy wise. Overall smoothness goes to the Dan Wesson.
I had a Smith and Wesson Pro Series 9mm and it was pretty and reliable but accuracy was downright poor considering its cost and compared to my HK P7s, HK USP Expert, Sig X5, and Les Baer PII.

So DW 9's accuracy is merely "combat accurate"?
Old February 18, 2015, 07:01 AM   #8
geetarman

Quote:
So DW 9's accuracy is merely "combat accurate"?
I did not say that at all. The Pro Series and the Springer are just as accurate.

Carpe Cerveza

Tags
1911 , 9mm , dan wessons