The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 16, 2020, 04:41 PM   #1
tipoc

Black Guns matter

Black Guns matter is the name of a pro 2nd Amendment organization formed in 2016 by a man named Maj Toure. Buisness Insider magazine reported on this groups in an article and video July 15, 2020.

Below is the video I encourage you to watch it.

https://www.businessinsider.com/blac...rce=reddit.com

Quote:
“We saw so much ignorance going on,” Toure said. “Guys that lived in rough neighborhoods may have been missing some information in order to carry a firearm on their person. So what we in essence did was we created the space to let people know what was their process and what process it was of getting a firearm, lawfully carrying it on their person if they chose to, while being safe and responsible.”
This is the groups website:

https://www.facebook.com/blackgunsmattermajtoure/

There are 2 other Black national organizations, one of which appears in the video:

The National African American Gun Association

https://naaga.co/

The Black Gun Owners Association

https://www.facebook.com/blackgunownersassociation

In general I support these groups and their formation and wish them well.

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.
Old July 16, 2020, 06:13 PM   #2
paknheat

That’s just racist.

All guns matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old July 17, 2020, 05:37 AM   #3
MisterCrabby

Black guns can’t help the way they’re made. And I’ve never seen a black gun be prejudiced against another gun.
Old July 17, 2020, 07:55 AM   #4
cw308

Everyone has he right to protect themselves , legal ownership , pass background checks . Bad guys don't apply for permits. Maybe our state leaders will lower the cost of the permits , just like they came up with " catch and release" in my state NY and look what's happening . Keep up the good work Mayor DeBlasio and Governor Coumo.
Old July 17, 2020, 01:02 PM   #5
tipoc

Interesting video from the July 1st NYT

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/01/o...sultPosition=1

The comments section is interesting as well.

Don't be afraid to look at the videos.

tipoc
Old July 17, 2020, 08:20 PM   #6
Armybrat

I do believe the NRA has supported African American gun rights since the 19th century.

Last edited by Tom Servo; July 18, 2020 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Response to deleted post
Old July 17, 2020, 08:54 PM   #7
burrhead

Quote:
I do believe the NRA has supported African American gun rights since the 19th century.
You might find this interesting. https://www.history.com/news/black-p...rt-mulford-act I'm not a fan of the Panthers but the 2A covers everybody.

You may also consider the NRA's response to Philandro Castile's murder which was to essentially ignore it.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old July 18, 2020, 02:23 AM   #8
tipoc

So I figure you didn't watch the video that takes up some of the debate in the Black community around the second amendment and guns. The leadership, such as it is, in the Black community is mostly liberal Democrats. So there is a break going on with that leadership over the right to self defense. that's worth noting.

tipoc

Last edited by Tom Servo; July 18, 2020 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Response to deleted post
Old July 18, 2020, 04:57 AM   #9
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
You may also consider the NRA's response to Philandro Castile's murder which was to essentially ignore it.
And what were we to expect of them? To weigh in and make statements on unresolved cases? That would be a bad idea. There are plenty of bloggers and social-media outlets for people to speculate and protest it.
Old July 18, 2020, 06:34 AM   #10
cw308

Black guns matter
I feel every law abiding person should be armed know matter what color your gun is . It's what's in your mind that matters why your armed. What bothers me is the law is handcuffed , not the criminals. Once you resist arrest the gloves are off and what ever it takes to complete the arrest is on the criminal.
Old July 18, 2020, 07:04 AM   #11
burrhead

Quote:
And what were we to expect of them? To weigh in and make statements on unresolved cases?
I do expect the NRA to make a statement about a police shooting of a licensed gun carrier who is obeying the law. That story was in the national consciousness and a benign message from a national gun right organization that they are watching the incident with interest is just good optics. Not weigh in on either side but acknowledge when something requires a careful look.

I’m considered a “pro cop” Judge, and certainly support the Blue Line in my private life, but the Castile case stunk up the joint. LaPierre should have waddled out before the cameras and voiced some concern; certainly when the officer’s trial was over.
Everything is politics and, unfortunately, public perception.

Old July 18, 2020, 11:56 AM   #12
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by paknheat View Post
That’s just racist.

All guns matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
^^^This.

I think it's ironic than gun owners whine about a specific platform being crucified while they themselves want to identify it as a specific platform by giving it/calling it, a name like "Black Gun". We complain about others singling out a specific platform, while doing it ourselves.

Sometimes all you can do is shake your head.
Old July 18, 2020, 12:35 PM   #13
seanc

Quote:
So I figure you didn't watch the video that takes up some of the debate in the Black community around the second amendment and guns. The leadership, such as it is, in the Black community is mostly liberal Democrats. So there is a break going on with that leadership over the right to self defense. that's worth noting.
^Breaks my heart to see infighting like that...Wait! No, actually, I get all giggly inside thinking the veil may be lifted, even if just a little bit.
Old July 20, 2020, 11:07 AM   #14
tipoc

I have no issue with Black Americans forming their own organizations. There is nothing racist about it. It is not directed against Caucasians or against any other racial or ethnic groups. So I support, in general, the idea of gun organizations being formed in the Black community to promote firearms ownership and the 2nd. It deepens a necessary discussion. It's one that, if done right, can promote solidarity in action with others.

These aren't people advocating going to war against cops or burning things up. The opposite in fact. They advocate discipline, organization and defense of the Bill of Rights.

It also provides a forum within the Black community for a discussion of Black gun ownership, self defense and democratic rights that could not occur elsewhere and be as open and free flowing as it needs to be. The discussion would not be the same, or as honest, within the confines of the NRA. It needs to be honest discussion and debate.

Things being debated now, actually right now, are what to do about the high murder rate in Chicago. What role does self defense play. How do we get the police to do their jobs yet not choke people to death that don't need to be choked or killed. How to answer the Democrats and the "woke" middle class mis-leadership that wants to "de-fund" the police.

I may not agree with all Maj Toure says and does but when he walks into a group of protestors at an anti police violence demonstration and starts a discussion and debate about self defense and the 2nd Amendment and begins teaching folks, right there on the street, about gun safety and their rights, well...I don't see Wayne LP or the other well dressed, well fed NRA heads capable of leading such a discussion.

There is something honest and working class about this that I respect.
Old July 20, 2020, 01:00 PM   #15
burrhead

+1 I absolutely agree with you tipoc.

Old July 20, 2020, 03:56 PM   #16
cw308

tipoc
How would you feel if Whites form their oun organizations ? Is there something racist about that?
There's a saying , you can talk the talk but can you walk the walk . We'll see.

Chris
Old July 20, 2020, 06:03 PM   #17
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
How would you feel if Whites form their oun organizations ? Is there something racist about that?
Without getting too far afield, whites generally aren't subject to the sort of prejudice that leads to situations like the deaths of Breonna Taylor, George Floyd, and Ahmaud Arbery. As much as we've tried, and as much progress as we've made, we're still not there in terms of a level playing field.

(As a friend put it, "yes, all lives matter, but the black ones are in more jeopardy at the moment.")

As such, the need for effective self-defense is more acutely felt by minorities, particularly in the black community.
Old July 21, 2020, 12:32 PM   #18
tipoc

Quote:
tipoc
There's a saying , you can talk the talk but can you walk the walk . We'll see.

Chris
First, I don't know if any of the groups I pointed to above are Black only. A person could go to their websites for more information on that and ask. Some maybe open to others. I do know that they are oriented to winning over Black folk to the 2nd amendment and firearms safety and ownership. History, and what's going on right now, show there are clear needs for this. I mentioned the reasons for this above.

Tom made important points on this also.

I'll also add that there has been a Black American identity forged in long battles against racial discrimination enforced by the government. This is a factor. Too much to go into in detail.

White people as a whole have no such needs. White people in the U.S. have no common identity except as Americans. There is no "white working class" despite what liberals say...there is a working class, but we are of all races, religions and ethnicities, especially since the end of government enforced legal discrimination due to the civil rights movement. We are stronger for that. To the extent that white folks, Caucasians in this country had a "White identity" it was because our rulers promoted and used that to divide working people and promote their rich folks interests.

I support these new gun organizations and wish them well. I don't know that I support all that they do but I'll keep an eye open.

Talk the talk and walk the walk...Oh yeah, I try to do that everyday.

tipoc

Last edited by tipoc; July 21, 2020 at 01:12 PM.
Old July 21, 2020, 04:18 PM   #19
doofus47

I was driving through Colorado Springs on I25 a couple years ago and I was passing a pickup truck with the sticker "Black Guns Matter" on the bumper.
I was thinking "oh, gosh...". I fully expected to see a stereotypical "insensitive" white redneck driving, but much to my surprise the driver was a young black man, maybe from one of several military bases. And I have to admit that just made my day and I smiled for hours.
Watching stereotypes explode is one of the most wonderful things about this country.
Old July 22, 2020, 05:21 PM   #20
olddav

It appears that some on here have believed the lie.
The law abiding citizens in the black community are in on more jeopardy than any other group in the US.
Old July 27, 2020, 10:03 PM   #21
Rebelson137

Black gun

My black gun matters. I hug it everyday.
Old July 27, 2020, 10:18 PM   #22
Double K

Quote:
Originally Posted by doofus47 View Post
I was driving through Colorado Springs on I25 a couple years ago and I was passing a pickup truck with the sticker "Black Guns Matter" on the bumper.
I was thinking "oh, gosh...". I fully expected to see a stereotypical "insensitive" white redneck driving, but much to my surprise the driver was a young black man, maybe from one of several military bases. And I have to admit that just made my day and I smiled for hours.
Watching stereotypes explode is one of the most wonderful things about this country.
I'm very good friends with retired radio talk show host Ken Hamblin, you should see the looks on peoples faces when we walk in a place and he's wearing his red Maga hat, never Trumpers don't know what to say to a black Trump supporter. The looks on their faces are priceless, he's still as sharp as a tack at 80 and shoots every week.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Hamblin
Old July 27, 2020, 10:24 PM   #23
44caliberkid

I have the T shirt.