The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 1, 2019, 11:17 AM   #1
DavidGreen99

1860 .577 snider

I’m looking for ammo for an .577 snider. My father wants to take it on a Moose hunting trip to Newfoundland this fall. He has 4 shells made by Kynoch that he purchased several years back and would like 6 more. He is having a difficult time finding any and at his age (85) is not able to search online on his own.

The gun has a good history. It was given to my Great great grandfather by a local guiding legend Henry Braithwaite. He had gotten it from a British officer that was his sport. The gun is mentioned in several hunting magazines about Henry who used to take American sports and British up to "the crooked dead water" on hunting expeditions on the Miramichi River years ago here in New Brunswick. It may also have been used to down a big Bull back in 1898 that was given to the city of Boston for their Sportsman Exhibition as a gift from my home Province. I need to research this a bit more to know for certain. A little more research will also be done to determine the name of the British officer who was issued the rifle in the first place. I am hoping a search of the serial number will assist. I'll have to get it the next time I visit my folks.

Anyways any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by DavidGreen99; August 1, 2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old August 2, 2019, 09:35 AM   #2
natman

Buffalo Arms carries it, but is currently out of stock:

https://www.buffaloarms.com/577-snid...amobp577snider

Ten-X also loaded it at one time, but it doesn't show now. Call them:

http://tenxammo.com/files/Shooter_Di...g_12012018.pdf

Original Kynoch is very hard to find, this fellow has some, but it's $40 per cartridge, limit one per customer:

https://shop.ammo-one1.com/577-Snide...eadKynoch1.htm

Last edited by natman; August 3, 2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old August 2, 2019, 10:00 AM   #3
ligonierbill

Buffalo Arms does have 577 Snider brass, expensive at $5.50 each. Loading blackpowder rounds is pretty easy, and you will never lack for ammo.