The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 13, 2019, 11:01 PM   #26
Geezerbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcvbob View Post
My senators are nanny-statist democrats. If I contact them, that will just reinforce how much smarter they are than me and strengthen their resolve to vote the other way. (they resent and despise all the voters who don't live in the metropolis.)
Same here. Both Oregon senators are less than worthless.

Tony
Old August 14, 2019, 10:28 AM   #27
P5 Guy

Thank you for contacting me regarding the recent tragedies in Dayton, Ohio and El Paso, Texas. I appreciate the opportunity to respond. Tragedies like these are devastating, not only to the communities and loved ones impacted, but also to families across the nation as we grieve with them and keep them in our prayers.

The safety of our families is always my top priority, and I am a proud supporter of the Constitution, the Second Amendment and the rights of law-abiding citizens. As we work to move forward, I am committed to reviewing proposals that work to keep Americans safe. As Governor of Florida, I worked to increase safety measures in Florida’s schools through the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act. We also passed a “red flag” law in the state of Florida, commonly referred to as an Emergency Risk Protection Order (ERPO). When properly constructed, red flag laws are a common sense measure to keep weapons out of the hands of any person who threatens to harm themselves or others, or who is mentally unstable.

As United States Senator, I remain focused on making sure that our schools and communities are safe, and that those struggling with mental health issues or threatening harm to themselves or others cannot use a weapon. I am currently working with my colleagues to pass the EAGLES Act (S. 495), which provides law enforcement more resources to prevent tragedies and improves school safety for students and teachers. I am also a cosponsor of the Threat Assessment, Prevention, and Safety (TAPS) Act (S. 265), which will create a task force of experts to provide recommendations for a national strategy to keep communities safe from targeted violence.

Again, thank you for your correspondence. I am proud to represent every citizen in Florida and I appreciate the time you took to provide your position on this matter. Should you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Rick Scott
United States Senator

If the safety of families was paramount in Scott's mind he wouldn't have restricted young families access to long guns (under 21)
So far this is the only response from Crist, Rubio and Scott it does not look promising.
Old August 14, 2019, 10:39 AM   #28
rebs

every time I have contacted Senator Schumer I get the same old form letter reply. Its been the same reply for a few years. I never get a reply from Gilibrand at all. Its a total waste of time
Old August 15, 2019, 12:27 AM   #29
Geezerbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
My senators are Ron Wyden and his sock puppet Jeff "chicken little" Merkley. They only
effect from mailing them is to keep a intern busy sending out blah-blah-blah replies.
It looks like we're almost neighbors....

Tony
Old August 16, 2019, 01:08 PM   #30
rickyrick

I’m close enough to hear those clowns on the news all the time lol. (Wyden and Merkly)
Old August 16, 2019, 03:50 PM   #31
zxcvbob

200 House democrats have cosponsored a so-called assault weapons ban that would basically outlaw almost all semiautomatic weapons. Pistols, rifles, and shotguns, with few exceptions. Both of my previously-mentioned idiot senators are sponsoring the senate version of the bill.

I'm trying to write a letter asking them if they really think it's a good idea to pass a law that will be universally ignored. Or do they know it will never get a floor vote so they are just pandering to the Democrats in California and NY, while crapping on the citizens of their own state?

Not sure how disrespectful to make it.
Old August 16, 2019, 04:49 PM   #32
Bartholomew Roberts

I have some friends on staff in D.C. They are telling me they aren’t hearing from the NRA or gun owners generally. There are more than a few “pro-2A” Senators feeling weak-kneed.
Old August 16, 2019, 06:45 PM   #33
rickyrick

There’s not enough politically active gun owners.
There’s enough gun owners to make a difference... but most are simply complacent.
Old August 16, 2019, 07:00 PM   #34
RC20

Quote:
My senators are nanny-statist democrats. If I contact them, that will just reinforce how much smarter they are than me and strengthen their resolve to vote the other way. (they resent and despise all the voters who don't live in the metropolis.)
Ahh well, my senators are the opposite. My vote doesn't count due the the electoral collage. Its all so unfair.
Old August 17, 2019, 06:28 PM   #35
raimius

STOP DOING NOTHING. You might not win if you write, call, and vote, but you WILL lose if all you do is complain about the votes you did not even cast not counting.
Old August 17, 2019, 06:49 PM   #36
SHR970

Which one of mine do you think will come around to our side:

[ ] Dianne Feinstein

[ ] Kamala Harris

[X] None of the Above
Old August 17, 2019, 09:10 PM   #37
ATN082268

If you're responsible and hardworking, the government doesn't represent your values...
Old August 17, 2019, 09:51 PM   #38
Bartholomew Roberts

I’m going to quote a little Texas wisdom “Can’t never could do anything.”

Millions of dollars are directed at making voters on either side of the aisle feel like their vote is meaningless or worthless. And that’s an easy sell because in our republic, any individual vote on its own is meaningless. However, amalgamated, they make a HUGE difference. That’s a major part of why the NRA has power - because there are hundreds of organizations that deliver more cash.

Don’t let the ad professionals sell you short. Your opinion DOES matter. I know the apparatchiks and I see it every day. Get involved. Pick a pro-2A candidate and support them directly until the NRA squares itself away. You DO have power even though you may not feel like it.
Old August 18, 2019, 12:36 PM   #39
kmw1954

I have a thread similar to this on another forum and for me it all started after listening to the news reports and the Presidential Candidates spouting off within minutes of the Philly shooting.

I started by writing a letter to my newly elected US Rep Bryan Steil, whom I've supported from the start. I did this through his local website which I have used before successfully.

I took the time and crafted a personal letter directed at him and not just a generic, copy and paste form letter or petition. I took the time to express my personal thoughts, feeling and possible solutions. I took time to explain why I felt Universal Background Checks do not work and will not work until other changes are made to the HIPAA Privacy Laws that will allow for us to understand and detect those that may pose a risk. Before the obtain guns, not after the fact.

I then also took the time to voice my opposition to RED FLAG Laws and how easily they could become corrupted and abused my all involved with them. How it could become a nightmare of litigation to protect ones self and then to try and recover any personal property that was seized.

I had no sooner completed this letter and sent it when who should pop up on the Local Evening News? Our Illustrious new Gov. Tony Evers with a bunch of his crony's spouting that they are trying to convene a special session to try and enact a new RED FLAG Law. Have to strike while the fires hot!

So once again off the WWW and the Wisconsin State Gov. website. Here I found my state Sen., my State Re., the Senate President and Majority leader and then the Assembly Leader and Majority Leader.

My next step is to draft one to send to Gov. Evers and out other state Rep who I am in opposition with.
Old August 19, 2019, 10:01 AM   #40
Geezerbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick View Post
I’m close enough to hear those clowns on the news all the time lol. (Wyden and Merkly)
I eMailed Merkly once and he pretty much told me that my opinion didn't count but then continued to eMail me weekly. I used the "mark as spam" feature in Yahoo mail on his eMails and I haven't heard from him in awhile..
Old August 19, 2019, 02:03 PM   #41
kmw1954

Of the letters I've written and sent so far I have received responses from my State Senate President Sen. Roger Roth and my Rep. Ryan Steil.

Both were personal response addressing some issues I raised and not just Thank You form letters. They really are listening! Thankfully the Republicans are still in control in our state.

I can only hope that everyone here from Wisconsin will also write and express yourselves.
Old August 20, 2019, 07:52 AM   #42
USNRet93

Not really
Quote:
Thankfully the Republicans are still in control in our state.
Quote:
As you now know, Wisconsin has a new Governor in Tony Evers, and he is even more hostile to gun rights than the outgoing one.

Early yesterday morning, Democrat Tony Evers edged out Scott Walker in the Wisconsin governor’s race, while state republicans kept control of the assembly and state senate.

Tony Evers has said he will make it harder for people to get concealed carry permits and, like Scott Walker, opposes Constitutional Carry.
Quote:
Its current senators are Republican Ron Johnson and Democrat Tammy Baldwin.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old August 20, 2019, 11:38 AM   #43
kmw1954

USNRet93,
Not Really? Here, look it up.

https://legis.wisconsin.gov/

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/WI

You are correct in Senate, Reps., 5 Republican and 3 Democrat.
Old August 21, 2019, 12:39 PM   #44
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
USNRet93,
Not Really? Here, look it up.

https://legis.wisconsin.gov/

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/WI

You are correct in Senate, Reps., 5 Republican and 3 Democrat.
Well, normally 'control'=the trifecta...both legislative houses plus governor..

"Tools not Trophies”