The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 20, 2019, 04:35 AM   #1
DUNITALL

Rainier Ballistics

I used to use Rainier for my 9 mm. and checked the other day and it seems that all show out of stock. Are they out of business, sure sounds like it. Thanks
Old August 20, 2019, 05:40 AM   #2
BBarn

Unfortunately they have closed up shop.
Old August 20, 2019, 03:26 PM   #3
tjmga

That's a shame, I really liked their bullets. What is the next best option for plated bullets.
tj
Old August 20, 2019, 04:26 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Berry's is most popular. I've only tried one other brand (National Bullet Co) and those were a terrible plating job and they are out of business now, anyway.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 21, 2019, 05:26 AM   #5
jetinteriorguy

Berrys makes an excellent product, especially their heavy plated versions. I mostly buy Extreme though, better price and excellent performance. I use Berrys heavy plate for magnum rounds and in my carbines because they handle the increased velocity much better and since I shoot them at a much lower volume the added cost is insignificant.
Old August 21, 2019, 06:27 AM   #6
Unique

So so sad. I’ve bought their 135 grainers for years for the 40 cal. A lot of others as well They were my go to bullets. Very accurate and priced well. Loading some 40’s this morning and read this. Only got a couple hundred left. ������
Sad. So sad.
Old August 21, 2019, 02:00 PM   #7
pete950

Xteam bullets
Old August 21, 2019, 05:10 PM   #8
kmw1954

https://www.rmrbullets.com/

These folks are a supporting vendor at the Firing Line sister site The High Road.
There is a lot of good things being said about these people and this is where I will be making my next purchase.

Also their jacketed bullets run about the same price point as their plated.
Old August 21, 2019, 06:23 PM   #9
pete2

I've used plated bullets from several mfgs in 9MM. I can't tell any difference at the range. Some are shinier than others but all perform well. Berrys, Ranier, thebulletworks.net, Extreme and maybe others. RMR has good buys on jacketed bullets, i have not used RMR plated bullets but I have confidence they will be good.
Old August 21, 2019, 06:25 PM   #10
Average Joe

Xtreme , Everglades reloading, and American reloading.
Old August 21, 2019, 08:36 PM   #11
Nick_C_S

I just read this thread and found out Rainer is defunct. I immediately went to Midway and bought 3K of their 148 DEWC's. I already had 4K + a partial box; but now I have 7K

Rainer's DEWC is - far and away - superior to any other plated DEWC out there - bar none. All others are rounded on the edges and don't really cut a clean hole in paper. Rainer's actually have a ridge and so they cut a very clean hole. They are superb. I'm going to miss them. Of course, at 7000, it's going to be a good while

BTW, Midway had them on clearance and I only paid $71.something-something for them (per 1000). That just over 7 cents each - about that for lead slugs.

As far as other plated bullets, I go with X-treme for everything else. I have been very pleased with their products and service.

I have used Berry's too. But I have only bought them from my LGS when there was an immediate need; and that's probably not the most economical way. I have never bought Berry's on line.
Old August 24, 2019, 04:46 PM   #12
greentick

Throw in another shout for RMR. Their "Matchwinner" in-house FMJs in 9mm shoot really well for me and if you use a Lee FCD, do not suffer like plated. Great prices and frequently on sale. Customer service is very responsive as well - many times by the owner Jake.