The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 28, 2009, 03:47 PM   #1
nicekill00

I have no idea what this gun is!!

New member because I have hit dead end after dead end on identifing this pistol. I got it from my grandfather who said it came from a German officer in WWII. No one I have talked to has seen a hammerless pistol (which I think is a Walther PP 7.65 cal) which measures 6 7/8 long from end to end. There are no other markings than the, P-P No 218. Can anyone help me identify this pistol?
DSC02675.jpg

DSC02676.jpg

DSC02684.jpg
Old September 28, 2009, 04:28 PM   #2
Avenger

Looks like a Spanish Ruby-type to me. Manufacturer might be a little hard to determine, there were a LOT of companies making these.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_pistol Throwing out a wiki just as a starting point, others here will be able to tell you a great deal more than I can!
Old September 28, 2009, 06:25 PM   #3
PetahW

It looks like a 1914-1919 Spanish/Ruby Gabilondo 7.65mm (.32 ACP), or possibly a 6.35mm (.25ACP) - but could have been made by an unspecified subcontractor for them when the demand exceeded their production capacity.

Old September 28, 2009, 08:46 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

The others are correct. The gun is Spanish, made for the French during WWI, which is probably why you couldn't find anything under German pistols. The German officer may have taken it from a Frenchman or it may have been seized from a French depot and re-issued by the Germans. The original slide markings may have been removed at some point, but "Ruby" pistols with no markings or numbers at all are known.

The "P-P No. 218" marking was not on the pistol originally. It could be a German (police?) unit property mark, or it could be a French or German police registration number.

Jim
Old September 28, 2009, 10:45 PM   #5
cougar gt-e

Or like that French WWII infantry rifle I saw for sale. Ad said

French WWII rifle, excellent condition, never been fired - dropped once"

Old September 29, 2009, 10:55 AM   #6
jaguarxk120

Usually French military guns come with a white flag.
Old September 29, 2009, 11:52 AM   #7
RJay

It is indeed a Spanish Eibar " Ruby " type pistol, because there were dozens of cottage gunmakers making these , unless it is marked, the actual maker will never be known. My opinion differs a little from the others, I feel it is a commercial model made between 1920 and 1936,, it does not have the required molded Hump just in front of the safety and it lacks the required French army markings. The French required this modification because upon holstering the gun, the holster would catch the safety and flip it off. So add a round head rivet or molded bump so the holster will over ride the safety.Yes, a member of the Condor League may have picked up one of these and carried it back to Germany, other wise I would say it was won in a poker game. The Germans in France had plenty of French guns to arm their rear echelon troops also by the time the Germans were in France only 4 Spanish gun makers were left and your gun was not produced by any of those four.. Value on these type guns are not high, the story about the German officer unfortunately is not backed up by providence. BTW the 7.65 is not a " Walther " round it is just a common pistol round also known as the 32 ACP. Your gun looks to be in excellent condition, 200 to 250$ Hope that helps

Last edited by RJay; September 29, 2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old October 13, 2009, 09:00 PM   #8
nicekill00

Thanks

I appreciate all of your insight on my pistol. I have been taking it around to various gun shops trying to collect others "perspective". The "others" have said generally the same story, I am just glad to get a more detailed opinion. I guess the unknown maker would explain the slight difference in the groves on the rear slide. I noticed in pictures that other ruby's have a slight curve, and mine are straight. Now all I have to do is find some ammo and take it to the range! Next trip to grandma's, i will bring back my grandfather's black powder pistols and rifles. That should be interesting to shot. Once again, thank you all.

Nicekill00
Old October 14, 2009, 07:12 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

.32 ACP should be easy to find, but in recent months all ammo has been scarce and costly. Good news is that those pistols are not world beaters, but they generally are safe and reliable enough with that low-power round.

Jim
Old October 17, 2009, 07:14 PM   #10
TEDDY

RUBY

I repared the clip on one a few yrs ago.they were issued to chauchat gunners in WW1.I have the book on the Chauchat.I did have the gun at one time and still have the bolt.
Old October 17, 2009, 07:27 PM   #11
nicekill00

To Teddy

I am interested in learning more about this "Ruby" pistol and will research some more. I would eventually like to know for sure about the markings that are particular on this pistol. Since my grandfather never knew/or told me the full details, I want to record it this time for my kids. As for the bolt, will it work with my particular pistol? I have noticed a slight difference on the groves on the rear of the slide from other ruby pistols.