The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old January 12, 2021, 12:08 PM   #1
SouthwestORV
Junior Member
 
Join Date: January 11, 2021
Posts: 14
Cow Elk taken with Tikka 243 - picture

Hello friends,
What a cool forum! I've seen some discussion, lots of debate, some strong opinions, thought I'd share a photo from my 2016 Cow Elk hunt. My brother and I both drew cow elk tags, we wanted meat on the table for our growing families. We both tagged out day 1 of the hunt. I shot this cow at sunset with my Tikka T3 Lite in 243 Win. I used Federal Power-Shok 100gr ammunition. The distance was 150 yards. She fell right where I shot her. Then I hiked 1/2 mile back to my quad, rode several miles to find my brother in another location, and rode back with him to clean the animal - which is why it's getting dark as we took the photo. The whole experience was positive and unforgettable. I never ate a bite of that meat without gratitude, because I took her life. She was a beautiful animal. She was good eating for the whole family, wife and 4 kids.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016 elk hunt.jpg (800.6 KB, 189 views)

Last edited by SouthwestORV; January 12, 2021 at 12:26 PM.
SouthwestORV is offline  
Old January 12, 2021, 12:22 PM   #2
Pahoo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 16, 2006
Location: IOWA
Posts: 8,250
Nice work

Quote:
thought I'd share a photo from my 2016 Cow Elk hunt.
Nice work and one thing we all have in common, in this site, is sharing. Welcome to the camp ......

Be Safe !!!
__________________
'Fundamental truths' are easy to recognize because they are verified daily through simple observation and thus, require no testing.
Pahoo is online now  
Old January 12, 2021, 12:39 PM   #3
SouthwestORV
Junior Member
 
Join Date: January 11, 2021
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo View Post
Nice work and one thing we all have in common, in this site, is sharing. Welcome to the camp ......

Be Safe !!!
Thanks Pahoo.
SouthwestORV is offline  
Old January 12, 2021, 02:26 PM   #4
RC20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: April 10, 2008
Location: Alaska
Posts: 6,615
Yep.

As has been proven over and over in real facts vs opinion, its the shot placement and the bullet that counts not the caliber.

My step dad's father (gone before we knew him) shot 6-8 Grizzly off his homestead with a 30-06. No drama. Now they need a 20mm cannon. Lewis and Clark worked their way across the US with a Pneumatic Rifle (the one firearm that they cold count on).

Let alone 1500 to the late 1800s across the US with muzzle loaders.
__________________
Science and Facts are True whether you believe it or not
RC20 is offline  
Old January 12, 2021, 05:03 PM   #5
Blindstitch
Senior Member
 
Join Date: April 14, 2013
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 2,623
Looks great. I know people prize themselves on shooting big bulls but if I ever were in an area that I could hunt elk and had a cow tag I'd take one in a second.
__________________
NRA Lifetime Member
Blindstitch is offline  
Old January 12, 2021, 05:15 PM   #6
jmr40
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 15, 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 10,294
Good job, good shooting, and thanks for posting.
__________________
"If you're still doing things the same way you were doing them 10 years ago, you're doing it wrong"

Winston Churchill
jmr40 is offline  
Old January 12, 2021, 05:20 PM   #7
SouthwestORV
Junior Member
 
Join Date: January 11, 2021
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
Yep.

As has been proven over and over in real facts vs opinion, its the shot placement and the bullet that counts not the caliber.

My step dad's father (gone before we knew him) shot 6-8 Grizzly off his homestead with a 30-06. No drama. Now they need a 20mm cannon. Lewis and Clark worked their way across the US with a Pneumatic Rifle (the one firearm that they cold count on).

Let alone 1500 to the late 1800s across the US with muzzle loaders.
Yessir. I love my 243 for various reasons - one being my confidence with it. I think that confidence allows me to place shots well. I owned a 270 previously, and I did not feel as confident with it. I recognize my 243 is on the small side for big game, but the fact remains that the elk died, and died ethically.
SouthwestORV is offline  
Old January 12, 2021, 05:28 PM   #8
SouthwestORV
Junior Member
 
Join Date: January 11, 2021
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindstitch View Post
Looks great. I know people prize themselves on shooting big bulls but if I ever were in an area that I could hunt elk and had a cow tag I'd take one in a second.
Thanks! I think it's fun. We get several herds in this area each summer/fall and if you set yourself up right, you can pick the one you want. Beyond that, my wife will never go for a set of antlers in the house. If I ever do get drawn for a bull hunt, the euro will go over my desk at the office.
SouthwestORV is offline  
Old January 12, 2021, 05:31 PM   #9
SouthwestORV
Junior Member
 
Join Date: January 11, 2021
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40 View Post
Good job, good shooting, and thanks for posting.
Thanks! I may be putting in again this year. My wife uses smaller quantities of red meat in meal planning, so that little cow lasted us until 2019! We ground most of the meat. Time to do it again. Crazy how I forget that with beef you have to drain off the grease/fat. Not the case with that elk meat.
SouthwestORV is offline  
Old January 12, 2021, 05:33 PM   #10
ghbucky
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 12, 2020
Posts: 773
Nice cow!

Yum!
ghbucky is online now  
Old January 12, 2021, 06:19 PM   #11
SouthwestORV
Junior Member
 
Join Date: January 11, 2021
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghbucky View Post
Nice cow!

Yum!
She was good eating, especially the stew meat and the tenderloin steaks.
SouthwestORV is offline  
Old January 12, 2021, 07:47 PM   #12
Ed4032
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 13, 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 206
Great shot and a great rifle too. Thanks for the picture!!
__________________
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.
Ed4032 is offline  
Old January 12, 2021, 08:24 PM   #13
SouthwestORV
Junior Member
 
Join Date: January 11, 2021
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed4032 View Post
Great shot and a great rifle too. Thanks for the picture!!
Thanks! First shot hit the lungs, she was anchored in place - bullet did tremendous damage on the way through. I didn’t wait, I quickly reloaded and head shot her to put her out of her misery. She didn’t suffer long.
SouthwestORV is offline  
Old January 12, 2021, 10:15 PM   #14
taylorce1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 18, 2005
Location: On the Santa Fe Trail
Posts: 7,478
I know a young man who took his first elk during late season 2020 wit a 90 grain Accubond out of a Browning A-Bolt. The .243 is capable of a lot with a well placed bullet.
__________________
NRA Life Member
taylorce1 is offline  
Old January 13, 2021, 05:26 PM   #15
doofus47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 9, 2010
Location: live in a in a house when i'm not in a tent
Posts: 2,429
Nice shot; congratulations.
__________________
I'm right about the metric system 3/4 of the time.
doofus47 is offline  
Old January 14, 2021, 09:21 AM   #16
Tallest
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 23, 2016
Location: Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Posts: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthwestORV View Post
Thanks! I think it's fun. We get several herds in this area each summer/fall and if you set yourself up right, you can pick the one you want. Beyond that, my wife will never go for a set of antlers in the house. If I ever do get drawn for a bull hunt, the euro will go over my desk at the office.
I'm in the same boat with you! It's a bit of let-down to shoot a trophy rack, then have nowhere to put the trophy. But I'm pondering a dedicated hunting wagon - maybe an old Blazer or 4Runner with a 6x6 Elk rack as the brush guard. Keep it the barn to keep her happy.
__________________
Matthew

"This is God's universe, and he has a plan. You might think that you have a better plan, but you don't have a universe." - Dr. J.V. McGee
Tallest is offline  
Old January 14, 2021, 12:07 PM   #17
bamaranger
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 9, 2009
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 7,450
argument

That should pretty much settle the argument one often hears that the .243 is not enough rifle for............... whitetails. I heard it often as a kid, and since it was coming from my elders, repeated it myself on more than one occasion, for much longer than I should have. Personal experience with and watching the .243 in action on deer changed that.

Congrats to you on the cow and a memory. Would you care to advise how much you suspect the cow weighed on the hoof?
bamaranger is offline  
Old January 14, 2021, 02:13 PM   #18
BJung
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 5, 2019
Posts: 769
Thanks for sharing.
BJung is offline  
Old January 14, 2021, 02:50 PM   #19
hub1home
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 15, 2014
Posts: 109
Im very glad that you posted this. The picture is a good one. And, the written part is well written. Thank you!
hub1home is offline  
Old January 14, 2021, 02:58 PM   #20
reinert
Senior Member
 
Join Date: September 28, 2008
Posts: 591
Congrats! I killed my first elk, a spike, at around 70 yds. with my 6MM Rem (on par with your .243) and used a 100 grn. Rem core lokt factory round to get the job done. He was facing me, and my shot just below his chin dropped him on the spot. This was back in the very early 80's, using my Ruger M77 tang safety. Pretty new rifle back then. Still have it, still use it, but not for elk anymore.

Seems you know your rifle and skill set very well! Well done!
reinert is offline  
Old January 14, 2021, 07:41 PM   #21
Jack O'Conner
Senior Member
 
Join Date: July 11, 2005
Location: Manatee County, Florida
Posts: 1,944
I have great respect for the .243 as a hunting cartridge. Several pronghorn antelope and 2 mulies have been felled using my Remington .243 rifle loaded with 95 grain Nosler bullets. None got away!

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Jack
__________________
Fire up the grill! Deer hunting IS NOT catch and release.
Jack O'Conner is offline  
Old January 14, 2021, 08:56 PM   #22
jdscholer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 23, 2008
Location: Jefferson State
Posts: 1,195
A guy who can keep his shots on a pie plate at a hundred yards with his 243, will kill elks deader than a guy with a 338 who can't. jd
__________________
"We're all dummies, just in different ways." Old Okie Philosopher
jdscholer is offline  
Old January 16, 2021, 10:05 AM   #23
SouthwestORV
Junior Member
 
Join Date: January 11, 2021
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
I'm in the same boat with you! It's a bit of let-down to shoot a trophy rack, then have nowhere to put the trophy. But I'm pondering a dedicated hunting wagon - maybe an old Blazer or 4Runner with a 6x6 Elk rack as the brush guard. Keep it the barn to keep her happy.
Yes. Yes. Yes. That would be awesome. Haha!
SouthwestORV is offline  
Old January 16, 2021, 10:06 AM   #24
SouthwestORV
Junior Member
 
Join Date: January 11, 2021
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
That should pretty much settle the argument one often hears that the .243 is not enough rifle for............... whitetails. I heard it often as a kid, and since it was coming from my elders, repeated it myself on more than one occasion, for much longer than I should have. Personal experience with and watching the .243 in action on deer changed that.

Congrats to you on the cow and a memory. Would you care to advise how much you suspect the cow weighed on the hoof?
I do not know. We cleaned her in the field, and I'm not experienced enough to say with any confidence.
SouthwestORV is offline  
Old January 16, 2021, 10:11 AM   #25
SouthwestORV
Junior Member
 
Join Date: January 11, 2021
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hub1home View Post
Im very glad that you posted this. The picture is a good one. And, the written part is well written. Thank you!
You're welcome! In this area the fall cow elk YOUTH hunt is very common, and many if not most are taken with 243. I have seen lots of anti-243-for-elk posts over the years. But I live in a community where it happens in large numbers every fall. Just thought I'd share my own experience. I'm certainly not pushing any agenda that the 243 is the ideal elk round. But I do not subscribe to the often-seen position that "243 is a coyote gun at best".
SouthwestORV is offline  
Reply

Tags
243 , elk

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2020 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent: thefiringline.com
Page generated in 0.09829 seconds with 9 queries