The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 23, 2011, 01:48 AM   #1
rburch

Finally shot my VZ-24

So I got my C&R FFL in January, and ordered a VZ-24 from AIM Surplus. I got it in Feb, but every chance I've had til today to head to the range has been cold and rainy.

Here's the thread from when I got it.

I didn't get to do much shooting, just had one 20rd box of ammo, but I liked her. Recoil was harder than I'm used too, (but I mostly shoot 223 & 243, so I was expecting that) but it wasn't unbearable. I only had 100 yards at the range so their wasn't really any chance to try out the distance sights, but maybe I'll get a chance to shoot with the sight raised one day.

Still got decent accuracy at 25-100 yards. No bulls-eyes, but I was on the 8 inch circle target with all my shots. I call that good enough for the first time out with the gun. I'm sure I'll get better with practice.

I do like my first real foray into milsurps though, and I'm looking forward to taking her out again (after the bruises fade that is)

I was shooting new manufactured Prvi Partizan 196gr soft-points so no worries about corrosive ammo yet. Though taking her out on this hot day, did bring up some more cosmoline on the stock. So I'll need to work on that some more.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old May 23, 2011, 11:36 AM   #2
TX Hunter

Im glad you had a good first outting with your new Mauser.I looked at the pictures from your previous post and I Think you got a nice one.
Old May 23, 2011, 12:17 PM   #3
magnumPi

You might try shooting some ammo with a lighter bullet, it may cut down on some of that felt recoil. On the other hand, shoulder bruises are a rite of passage when you shoot "real" calibers
Old May 23, 2011, 01:47 PM   #4
rburch

Quote:
You might try shooting some ammo with a lighter bullet, it may cut down on some of that felt recoil. On the other hand, shoulder bruises are a rite of passage when you shoot "real" calibers
Oh I got a pretty good bruise from it.

Then again I also put a couple hundred 556 through my Armalite 180b, and like 40-50 243 through my Ruger Frontier.

Plus a few 00 bucks and a couple slugs through my Mossberg 500.

So pretty sure i'd be bruised anyway even without the 8mm.

But I used my Past shield for the mauser. Decided that metal buttstock wouldn't be fun with just a t-shirt for cushion.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Tags
mauser , prototype