The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 8, 2009, 02:11 AM   #1
msta999

Harper Ferry 1854??

I am cleaning up this long gun for a retired friend of mine. Looks like a shot gun musket or something. Just looking for some info on it.

Sorry, it is a 1845, not 54.

Old January 19, 2010, 06:12 PM   #2
romer12

harpers ferry

your harpers ferry started out as a 69 caliber flintlock. those flintlocks were converted to percussion and used in the civil war......
Old January 19, 2010, 10:42 PM   #3
msta999

Are you saying this long gun may have been used in the civil war? I'll let my friend know. That would be pretty cool!

Thanks.
Old January 20, 2010, 08:22 AM   #4
Uncle Buck

When you say 'cleaning up' this gun, do mean trying to get it to work? Restore it so it looks nice?

Please be very very careful, so many guns have been ruined because they were cleaned up. Unless you are a proffessional restorer, you more than likely will ruin any value this gun has by simply removing some rust.

Please, find out what it is worth before you do anything further to the gun. I would hate to see, and I bet you would feel bad, if you accidentally ruin a piece of American history.
Old January 20, 2010, 06:09 PM   #5
pvt.Long

yes it was a CW gun. 69 cal smooth bore a popular load for 69s was buck and ball three buck shot behind a ball so yes it was a shotgun. That is a valuable gun if you want to clean it up find a reputable restorer that's been in the business a while. Or the cheaper way would be to buy a reproduction .69 cal smooth bore Harper's ferry musket they do sell them.
Old January 22, 2010, 12:01 AM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

The gun is a Model 1842, the first U.S. percussion musket. It is .69, and was made as a smoothbore, but many were rifled in the Civil War era. They were not considered first line weapons, but were often used in combat nevertheless.

I don't think you will find a restorer who will consider working on that gun, it is just too far gone, and a true restoration would cost more than the gun would be worth. I would clean it of active rust, dirt and dust, and hang it on the wall.

You might replace the foreend tip if you can find one at a reasonable price (try www.ssfirearms.com) and put in a repro cleaning rod (same place).

The Model 1842 is a fairly common gun. Harpers Ferry made about 100,000 of them and Springfield another 170,000. Decent ones are going for around $1600. Relics like yours bring a couple of hundred.

Jim

Last edited by James K; January 22, 2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old May 28, 2011, 07:35 PM   #7
msta999

I found this post. My computer crashed and I lost most of my links. Thanks for the info everyone......better late than never!