The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 25, 2014, 05:32 AM   #1
Beretta686

Lage M10 vs. 9mm M16?

As I've done more research into getting a 9mm upper for my M16, I'm getting a bit wearier about running 9mm upper on an M16 receiver due to wear issues.

My goal is to have a 9mm SMG that's more than just an amusing bullet-hose, as my stock MAC-10 currently is.

Though I've always viewed the Lage uppers as a bit of a Frankengun configuration, they're an improvement over wearing on my M16 RR.

Does anyone have any thoughts on running a Lage upper on a MAC vs. running a 9mm upper on an AR-15?

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old April 25, 2014, 07:49 AM   #2
Willie Lowman

I have shot a Lage Mac and thought that it compared favorably to a Uzi.

If I had a Mac 10/9mm I would put a Lage upper on it and not look back.
Old May 12, 2014, 11:11 PM   #3
highrolls

Don't do it. Leave the M-16 as is.

Listen to Willie Lowman. His instinct is correct.

I am not sure about the Mac10/11 but the Cobrey version M-11 I believe to be the same internals as the Mac 10/11. Mine was a piece of crap. Jam-omatic and plastic magazine eater from the start. After a few magazines, lots of frustration, and loss of the recoil buffer (which seemed to dissolve when hit by "shooter's choice" cleaner) I packed it away and forgot about it until I heard about the things Richard Lage was doing. More like 30 years later.

Anyways, Richard and Jackie are really great to work with, and the prices they charge are a steal when you see their workmanship. Long story short. The Cobrey 9/11 is a quality piece now. The flat top upper I think is a must. I replaced most of the internals when I found out they were never heat treated. The Lage stuff is all properly hardened. The Lage upper is a longer barrel, and was really needed. It is an impressive shooter at 100 yards in single shot mode. (One round in the magazine as no matter which way you re-assemble the disconnector, it always fires full auto even in the semi setting.) Co-witness sights and inexpensive nightstar were worth while adds when the gun starts to have quality built in. I like it better than the UZI and turns out it was way picky on ammo. Not now. Got good Mags from Mike at USMachinegun, modified PAM 2's that actually work better then the plastic thingys.
Old May 15, 2014, 07:47 AM   #4
Bartholomew Roberts

I shot a Lage upper in 2008 and was really impressed with it as my previous experience was just with bare bones M-10/M-11s that were difficult to control on full-auto. The Lage upper makes that into an actual useful weapon IMO.