The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 1, 2016, 08:09 AM   #1
Joshua Seymour

Type 38 Japanese Arisaka Sporter

OK before I get flamed for sportorizing a military surplus rifle please note that this rifle had little to no collectible value.

About 6 months ago I won a type 38 carbine on gun broker. The seller noted that the wrist of the stock was cracked and it was deemed "unfireable."

Being skilled in wood working I decided that I can fix the rifle and make it into a nice lightweight deer rifle. This thread will essentially be me showing off my work, and inviting other people to show off theor rifles as well.That is, of course, if I ever learn how to post pictures.
Old July 1, 2016, 02:01 PM   #2
Blindstitch

No need to be flamed. There are tons of Arisakas that are sporterized. I have one and so do other here.

I bought this off my grandfathers estate for $125.

Of course I bought this one at christmas from cabelas for $170 and all I did was change the scope rings to ones that weren't cobbled together.

Both are great shooters in 6.5 using Norma brass, Hornady 140 grain SST, and 31.2 grains of 3031 (this configuration was marked as matching stock ammo in one of my Lyman books).

By the way the top rifle shot my biggest deer last season. A 5 1/2 year old 8 point. And 20 years ago it shot my grandpa's largest deer a big 16 point that when place in a sled to be towed behind a fourwheeler it took two groan men pushing it to get it to move. Between there and the 1/2 mile home I never stopped in fear that I would never get it moving again.

Last edited by Blindstitch; July 1, 2016 at 02:13 PM.
Old July 1, 2016, 09:16 PM   #3
Ralph Allen

The biggest issue with any Jap 6.5 is that the Japanese put them back together with any bolt that they had. Headspace is the key issue. Either have it checked, or very carefully with proper safety glasses, etc, test fire a round and look at the case. Sloppy headspace will stretch the case severly.
Ralph
Old July 2, 2016, 06:06 AM   #4
Gunplummer

You mean like Mausers and any other military import?
Old July 2, 2016, 11:28 AM   #5
emcon5

It would have to be REALY sloppy to hurt anything beyond the case. Arisaka's are ridiculously strong.

Even if the headspace is excessive, neck size your cases (Hornady makes a generic .264 neck size die) and you should get some decent life out of them.

That being said, as a history buff, I would say if you are "Skilled in Woodworking" you can probably repair the stock and get it back in original shooting condition.

Go check out Surplusrifleforum stock repair forum, for the all the beat to crap and broke in two stocks Candyman has fixed.

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/vie...?f=137&t=55920
Old July 2, 2016, 07:15 PM   #6
Joshua Seymour

I have been neck sizing only. And using 120 grain Sierra pro hunters over 35 grains of h380 I'm getting 2450 fps and sub moa goups. The time trigger, floated barrel, and bedded action helped quite a bit.

If anyone know how to upload pics from a phone please advise.
Old July 2, 2016, 09:17 PM   #7
Blindstitch

I always use photobucket and paste in the links.
Old July 3, 2016, 01:21 PM   #8
Clark

*I paid $100 + tax for a type 38 in 6.5x50 1999 at a pawn shop.

*I paid $45 + tax for a professionally sporterized type 38 in 300 Sav with Springfield barrel in 2000 at a pawn shop. I have since drilled and tapped through the beautiful stippling and reamed it out to 308 Winchester.

* I paid $60 + tax for a professionally sporterized type 38 in 300 Sav with Springfield barrel with Redfield rear peep sight in 2002 at a pawn shop.

*I paid $100 for a type 38 in 6.5x50 in 2011 in a private sale.

I can't remember ever test firing any of them.
Maybe I should shoot a deer with one of them in 2016... if I can draw enough tags.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old July 3, 2016, 04:47 PM   #9
RC20

No flames, its not like they are rare and no interest. Doing the best you can with what you got and that's more than fine.

Worst experience I had was a trip in S.E. Ak, guy wanted to hunt deer and that's serous bear country. Itty bitty 6.5.

So I had both my Dads 06 and a pistol (though that's not a lot of comfort around a Brown bear)

As I was not hunting and did not want to deal with a deer, I did not shoot the 06 until we got to the place. When I did, I could not hit anything at 50 yds.

Ok, I guess we wait until its close, you can't see 50 yds anyway and what the heck, can't change it now and I don't have enough ammo to play with it.

When I got home I checked it, 2 ft high at 100 yds. Shipping knocked the sight off I assume.

At least I knew and was as prepared as I could be.
Old July 3, 2016, 05:44 PM   #10
doofus47

Sporter or not, Arisakas were meant to be shot. If you got an "unfireable" rifle up and working, you deserve a pat on the back. Congrats for you dedication.

Get those photos up!

And blind stitch, you've inspired me: I"m seriously thinking of taking my Arisaka carbine out during deer season. Nice deer. Congrats!
Old July 3, 2016, 11:10 PM   #11
Clark

RC20
In August 2005 I bought a 1957 Winchester M70 30-06 from a guy who's uncle had just died in Alaska. According to him, his uncle had shot with it:

2 grizzlies
6 moose
10 mountain goats
6 sheep
109 Sitka Black tailed deer
16 black bear
2 caribou

So I rebarreled it to 270 and shot 9 mule deer with it over the 2007, 2008, and 2009 hunting seasons.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old July 4, 2016, 10:11 AM   #12
Gunplummer

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This is my cut/welded 99 Arisaka in 7.62x39. By the time I got done about the only thing original was half the stock and half the receiver. Shoots great out to 100 yards, never tried it at a longer range. have a couple deer ith it.
Old July 4, 2016, 10:22 AM   #13
Gunplummer

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This is a 99 action with a 7x57 barrel. I made everything I possibly could from aluminum or titanium. Any excess steel was trimmed off. The stock and handguard are from a 6.5 carbine, with the replaced sheet metal machined to fit. This is absolutely my favorite deer rifle. I never weighed it, but it is like carrying a stick around all day. The baked on paint is wearing off from years of hard hunting. It seems to have held up as good as anodizing does in heavy brush.
Old July 11, 2016, 08:17 AM   #14
shellback

Some great looking sportster's
I have one as well.
Old July 11, 2016, 09:38 PM   #15
tahunua001

one of the most gorgeous hunting rifles I've ever seen was a sporterized type 38. if it wasn't for the fact that the guy wanted $1100 for it and the fact that I didn't want a 6.5J at the time I would have bought it on the spot.

here's my "lightweight hunting arisaka" type 44

Tags
6.5 , arisaka , custom , sporter , timney