The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 28, 2014, 08:41 PM   #1
silverstang23

Mounting a 22lr Silencer

Well I just bought my first silencer (2 actually) and have a mounting question. What is the best way to mount a can on an AR style 22 which you don't want to permanently have the can on. The lack of a QD kind of has be baffled. Do I just unscrew the birdcage every time and put it back or would it be better to remove it and just put a thread protector on there?

Thanks for your input
Old June 29, 2014, 12:04 AM   #2
Theohazard

The vast majority of .22 silencers are just direct-thread, so just screw it on. It's up to you if you want to unscrew the flash hider every time, but I'd just use a thread protector if I were you. But most people who have .22 silencers rarely shoot without them; I doubt you'll shoot your rifle unsuppressed very often.

But make sure you get a thread spacer before you thread on your silencers and shoot them. AR-style .22s usually have longer AR-style threads and most .22 cans won't butt up against the shoulder, which can cause baffle strikes because the silencer isn't properly aligned. And some silencers might butt up properly against the shoulder, but the muzzle will be too close to the first baffle, which can be an issue with asymmetric baffles. For example, the Spectre II will still shoulder properly on an AR-style .22, but the bullet exits the muzzle so close to the first baffle that the bullet becomes unstabilized and can keyhole. The one time I saw this happen, the shooter was very lucky he didn't get baffle strikes.

Gemtech makes cheap 1/2x28 spacers; make sure you get one before you shoot your AR-style .22 with a silencer, otherwise you could get baffle strikes and destroy your new cans.
Old June 30, 2014, 08:46 AM   #3
el_chupo_

A sister question - Silencerco used to have a technical drawing on their site with the threaded dimension to match their suppressors if you were having a barrel threaded, but the links I have found are no longer valid.

I seem to recall something like most threaded barrels for AR's have .6XX length threads, and their products were based around .4XX length?

Anyone still have that?
Old June 30, 2014, 02:18 PM   #4
Lark

This might be what you want. http://www.advanced-armament.com/ass..._01-040513.PDF
Old June 30, 2014, 09:44 PM   #5
el_chupo_

Thanks Lark!