The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 17, 2001, 08:21 PM   #1
bubo2069

Which MEC reloader for newbie? and some newbie questions...

I've been looking online at the 8567 Grabber, and the 9000G. I have never reloaded before, but I don't want to do it manually, or single stage. I have a friend who relaods and I'm going to go and watch him reload, and maybe he can show me how to reload.
I was looking at Reloaders and some say that Die sets are not available. what is a Die?
Are there any good websites that I can read up on reloading?
Are there any books on reloading I should get?
Old December 19, 2001, 12:45 AM   #2
David Wile

Hey Bubo,

Based on the questions you have asked, I think you have the right idea about watching a friend reload before you make any decisions. In fact, I would suggest that you try to find several friends who can show you how to reload ammunition. My reasoning for watching several folks reload is to allow you to be exposed to a variety of experience. That way, if one of the folks is doing something unsafe, you will be better able to recognize the error and not repeat it when you are on your own.

There are many good books on reloading, and, while I would suggest starting with the Lyman manuals for shotshell and metallic cartridges, I am sure you will find your reloading friends will show you their favorites. If you get into reloading, eventually you will most likely buy several manuals.

Consider very carefully before you start out with a progressive machine. MEC Juniors are very inexpensive and very good at loading high quality shotshells in pretty good time. Progressives are very finicky and require a very high level of experience, concentration, and attention to detail to perform properly. I know from my own experience. I have two Hornady 366 progressives (a 12 GA and a 16 GA), and I have to concentrate very carefully while I am using them. They do load a lot faster than my MEC Juniors, but they do not load any better. I also have two single stage MECs, one in 12 GA and one in 20 GA. When using the MECs, I can listen to music or even a book on tape while reloading. No way can I do that with the progressives, however. They require all my attention to keep from making any mistakes. I never used enough 20 GA shells to feel like I needed a 20 GA progressive. I also keep my 12 GA MEC for special loadings that are difficult to do on a progressive.

At this point, I would not begin to try to tell you what a die is other than to say that dies are used to re-size shotshells and metallic cartridges and to perform other functions in the reloading process. When you visit your reloading friends, they will be able to show you what a die set is and what each one does.

That's about it for my personal opinions. Once again, I think the idea of learning from some other folks is the best place to start. I have enjoyed reloading ammunition for almost forty years, and if you have half as much fun doing it as I have had over the years, you will find it a pleasant pasttime.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old December 19, 2001, 07:11 AM   #3
dick w. holliday

I'll just save us all some time and agree with Dave.....Dick