The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old October 30, 2016, 12:15 PM   #1
dahermit

Any acurate loads for 250 Keith, in .44 Spl.?

My most accurate load for my S&W 696 3" .44 Spl. is a cast RCBS Keith bullet in a W-W case, primed with Federal primers and 6.9 grains of Unique as per the "accuracy load" in the Lyman 48th.
However, the recoil is more than I want to handle, so I am looking for a lighter load and less recoil. Today I have tried 4.0 grains of Titegroup (the lightest load for Titegroup in the Hodgdon listings), and found that the accuracy is not all that great.
So then, has anyone found a load on the very light end of things that is also accurate. If so, I would like to hear what you have found.
I have lots of Unique, Titegroup, Bullseye, and Red Dot and several others in shorter supply.
I am only interested in what you have personally found to work...not something that I should try.
Old October 31, 2016, 08:37 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I found 3.9 grains of Bullseye to be accurate with a soft swaged 240 grain Hornady SWC. If your bullets are hard cast, though, they may require more pressure to upset them if the gun has any sort of constriction where the barrel screws into the frame.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 31, 2016, 03:08 PM   #3
dahermit

I tried 4.1 of Red Dot this morning...seems to be what I have been looking for except the recoil is heavier than what I want, but I think that is the way I will go. I used to have a M28 (Highway Patrolman), that I had Snapp's Gun Shop in Clair MI, convert to .44 Special and it shot well with 6.5 of Unique. That in the N frame M28 had very mild recoil. However the L frame 696 3" seems to recoil way more than the M28.
You are right about harder bullets needing a harder push to obturate and fill the rifling...that Lyman 48 load of 6.9 of Unique with my Keith bullets shoots very accurately, but the problem there is the recoil. The gun raises a blister on the inside of my thumb which breaks after about 50-100 rounds. I sometimes use a modified (padding added at that pressure point), leather golf glove to alleviate some of the discomfort, but it makes for an awkward grip.

Last edited by dahermit; October 31, 2016 at 03:15 PM.