The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 25, 2013, 07:55 AM   #1
KBP75

Mailing bullets- USPS

With all the new crazy laws in New York, I would like to know if its still legal to mail bullets from PA to New York. This is NOT loaded ammo, just bullets for reloading. Anyone up on all the new laws? Thanks!
Old June 25, 2013, 08:30 AM   #2
NoSecondBest

Bullets are not ammunition. I live in New York and buy bullets all the time. There is nothing in the new BS laws restricting buying any components, including powder and primers. No problem what-so-ever.
Old June 25, 2013, 08:43 AM   #3
dahermit

As of late, I have mailed bullets that I have sold on Gunbroker.com to different states several/many times. Bullets are inert and are not a hazard to the mail carrier. The most cost effective is a Small Flat Rate Priority Box. Being flat rate, the weight does not effect the price ("if it fits, it ships"), inside the USA. The Small Flat Rate box costs $5.80, available at all Post Offices, or $5.15 if the label is printed out at home on your printer. You can down load the program to do the printing and charging your credit card at home.

As to the legality (State law of New York), of shipping bullets, I do not know. But sense there is no requirement to label the contents of the package as "bullets" (or anything else), the State of New York would not know what was in the package...even if they had access to it.
Old June 25, 2013, 09:50 AM   #4
carguychris

Quote:
There is nothing in the new BS laws restricting buying any components, including powder and primers.
Having read the law several times, I agree with this assessment, although standard IANAL disclaimers apply.

FWIW the mailability of most items other than alcoholic beverages is governed by federal U.S. postal regulations rather than state law. (Alcoholic beverages are a special case due to the wording of the 21A, but I digress.) AFAIK the postal regulations prohibit mailing loaded ammunition, powder, primers, and any type of incendiary, explosive, or tracer bullets, but do not prohibit the mailing of normal (i.e. inert) component bullets or unprimed or fired cases.

I would, however, recommend against using the term "bullets" or "shells" in the Post Office because many people believe these terms are analogous to loaded cartridges. You are shipping "metal pellets".
Old June 25, 2013, 01:02 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

If you had to tell them what was in the box, you might consider that "extruded ingots (to be used in a manufacturing process)" which is (I believe) a technically accurate description of the material.

Certainly as accurate a description as anything one reads or hears on the news these days.

Mail restrictions on loaded ammo, powder and primers is driven by the regulation of these materials as hazardous materials for shipment. DOT regulates that (in torturously detailed manner), and basically the post office says "we're not going to deal with it at all in the mail. Use another carrier"

Jacketed or lead bullets are inert metal and have no hazardous properties for shipping purposes (providing you don't drop them on your foot) such as flammability, explosive, poisonous, reactive, etc.

Sturdy packaging, proper addressing and postage should do it.
Old June 25, 2013, 01:14 PM   #6
Paul B.

About nine months ago, I bought some bullets from a fellow and when they were late in reaching me I began to worry. Then a few days later I come home from the range and there is a bsiness card from a postal inspector with a note to give him a call. I do and it seems the box my bullets were shipped in broke open and some Post Office blissninny freaked out and called the Postal Inspectors about bullets. At least all were retrieved. After warning me, the P.I. said I should get my package in a day or two. Much ado about nothing thanks to an idiot.
Paul B.
Old June 25, 2013, 01:26 PM   #7
KBP75

mailing bullets

Thanks to everyone that replied. Just wanted to double check since New York is the new home of politicians that don't believe in our Constitutional rights. They want to control everything and FREEDOM is taken away from all when a criminal does something wrong!
Old June 25, 2013, 02:16 PM   #8
carguychris

"Extruded ingots"... I like that.
Old June 26, 2013, 10:46 AM   #9
BigD_in_FL

As mentioned, packaging is crucial. When I ordered some bullets from a maker in AZ, he puts them in two small USPS boxes, tapes everything with packing and tape, and then outs those two inside a medium box and tapes every edge of that. It makes the box VERY heavy (45 acp will do that) and the carrier had to use pone of their baskets to leave it at my door, but they arrived intact