The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 2, 2012, 11:06 AM   #1
brazosdave

Cobra big bore derringer .38 spl

I'd like to hear from anyone that has had experience owning one of these. I'm pondering buying one, I know the Bond Arms are superior but they are also pricey. Don't really need to hear how I should buy a small automatic, I already have two of them. I'd just like to hear honest experiences from people who have or have had this gun or one of another caliber, and whether it's worth the hundred something bucks I would pay for it. Thanks!
Old October 2, 2012, 05:33 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

I have the smaller model in .32 acp.
The guns are made of zinc, with steel barrel liners. The barrel catch wears pretty quickly, and won't stay in it's detent.
I wouldn't pay a lot for one.
Old October 2, 2012, 05:37 PM   #3
brazosdave

Thanks Bill!
Old October 2, 2012, 06:12 PM   #4
.243_Shooter

I have one in .38 special, it has a horrible trigger (like it take two fingers to pull). It has occasional mis-fires although I have only tried Remington shells from wal mart. It doesn't carry all that great to me. It's probably the only gun I wish I had not bought.
Old October 2, 2012, 08:56 PM   #5
ZVP

I have had a .38 for a couple years
and really enjoy it. I shoot both factory and reloaded ammo,I even had some squibs made up for fun shooting
As. A defense gun, you have 2 powerful shots a slow reload tough trigger(necessarily so!) and difficult safety. The sights are useless. Point and shoot. Will it save your life? Probably but only at close range.
It's 1862technology as deadly as ever!
I suggest a model36 or the like.
Istill won't part with my Cobra though, it is too much FUN!
ZVP
Old October 21, 2012, 02:42 PM   #6
dwright1951

I bought one several years ago. Piece of crap! Trigger pull is around 20 lbs., sights mean nothing, safest place to be when shooting it is in front of it. After about 6 rounds one barrel stopped firing. It has a life time warranty but you have to send it back to the factory & pay shipping both ways (more than the cost of the pistol & they won't sell you the parts to fix it yourself). If you are buying it for self defense get a rock, you'll be better armed. Does make a fine paper weight, but so will the rock.
Old October 21, 2012, 03:14 PM   #7
youngunz4life

I have one in the 38(cobra). I didn't know that was considered a big bore. anyways, I like the firearm, but bill is right. It will wear, but that isn't an issue if you aren't gonna be beating it up. I only shoot it occasionally and keep it at the ready
Old October 21, 2012, 09:14 PM   #8
OkieCruffler

Had one, it was a hoot. And I made alot of friends with it at the range when I had to ask folks to help me pull the trigger. All joking aside, horrible trigger, dismal accuracy past 3yrds and annoying to shoot with anything other than light reloads. And still I would buy another if I found a good deal on one. Not as a serious carry gun by any means but just a fun piece to play with.
Old October 22, 2012, 12:02 AM   #9
youngunz4life

emergency

yes as a 'bellygun' or a 'NY reload'. the firearm will save your life andor eliminate a threat @ close distance
Old October 22, 2012, 06:12 AM   #10
Hal

I have a Davies derringer in .22lr.
A lot of fun - but - that's about it as far as being useable for anything.

I did used to carry it in my jacket pocket loaded w/shot shells when I mowed the yard the first few times each Spring though.
The grass that time of year grows real thick real fast & the snakes could hide in it.
Every once in a while one would get caught in the blades and come out alll mangled but still alive. A shot to the head put it out of it's misery.

As far as being any use for SD - you'll have to judge that for yourself.
Closed Thread