The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 25, 2008, 11:50 PM   #1
AK Bear

H-S Precision stock defect???

I just received my new H-S Precision stock today (I ordered it from a retailer) and after waiting over a month for it to arrive I am quite disappointed. Upon opening the package I first noticed that the front swivel stud was drilled off center in the forearm and it is quite noticeable. Second, and more importantly, the stock has a slight curve to it (looking down vertically). From about the grip to the butt pad it has a curve to the right and is not in line with where the receiver/action and barrel sit.

This is my first experience with an H-S product and was quite surprised to see these issues after reading nothing but rave reviews on these stocks and product quality.

Unless I am missing something here like perhaps it is supposed to be this way to help align your eye better or something along those lines I am at a loss!

For what it’s worth, my factory Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless synthetic stock is straight as an arrow.

Additionally, I don’t think to highly of the recoil pad that came on the stock either -granted I haven’t fired the rifle with it either. I believe it is an Uncle Mikes but not 100% on that. It is rather hard and doesn’t feel like it would provide much in the “recoil dissipation” department! I would have much preferred a Pachmayr Decelerator or a Limb Saver. The current pad appears to have been glued on as there are no signs of screw holes. I am sure modifying that would void the warranty however.

Any H-S Precision stocks out there that appear to be warped/bent/deformed or is it just mine???

Last edited by AK Bear; January 26, 2008 at 01:49 AM.
Old January 26, 2008, 11:31 AM   #2
thekyrifleman

I have two...One for a 7mag and one for a 8mag Both Rem 700's)...both have the AL bedding block..no curve and they work fantastic!! took quite a bit of the "sting" out of the 8mag when shooting form a bench...send it back and note the defects..
Old January 26, 2008, 02:25 PM   #3
Harry Bonar

H&S prec.

Sir:
Send it to H&S. They'll make sense of this - they do not put work out like this - retailer (?).
Harry B.
Old February 6, 2008, 04:32 PM   #4
AK Bear

Update

I returned the stock to Cabela’s where it was purchased and they sent out another stock. After it arrived and after giving it a good looking over, I noticed it has the same curve to it the first stock had. Basically, if you were to draw a line as you were looking down from the top, through the center of the stock from the barrel channel end to the butt, you would see that the line wouldn’t be straight. So, I made a phone call to a reliable gunsmith and he told me it was supposed to be that way! Has something to do with eye alignment. Ok, that being the case, it was no longer an issue with me now – funny the customer service person I spoke with at H-S a while back wasn’t aware of this mould layout.

Regarding the front swivel stud placement, the new one isn’t quite centered either but is much closer to the centerline than the first. I can live with that too! However, I noticed the stud wasn’t very tight. I unscrewed it and discovered it was only turning two and a half turns into the aluminum bedding and you still could wiggle it with your fingers. Now, there is no way this would hold up after you slung it for a gaunt in the bush. I recall the one on the first stock went way up into the aluminum bedding because I could see it when looking down at it in the barrel channel.

I gave H-S Precision a call only to discover they wanted to charge me a $1.00 to send me a ¾” swivel stud in place of the 1/2" one that was to short. At this point I was pretty fed up with H-S to say the least. Here I bought a $300 plus product of theirs and can’t get a $1.00 replacement piece? Out of curiosity, I removed the stud at the bottom of the stock and discovered it was ¾”. I swapped them out and secured them with some Locktite and am hoping for the best.

With all the rave reviews regarding the H-S line of stocks, I am disappointed – still! Yeah, I couldn’t have sent it back for a refund and got a McMillan but that would take a while to save for. At least McMillan puts on an effective recoil pad too (Pachmayr Decelerator). I opted to keep this latest stock and try it out on the rifle. I just hope it does improve my rifles accuracy, otherwise, I will have just wasted my $ I feel. I hope I never have to return it for service either as that thought scares me.

Last edited by AK Bear; February 6, 2008 at 11:07 PM.
Old February 6, 2008, 05:37 PM   #5
Alleykat

I'd find a more reliable "reliable" gunsmith! And I'd not be satisfied with that H-S stock. I have a Remmy 700 VS with the H-S stock, and it's not curved, and the swivel studs are secure.
Old February 14, 2008, 01:14 AM   #6
AK Bear

Final update!

Well, for those interested, I took a photo of the stock in question and sent it to Technical Support at H-S Precision. Today, I received the following response and wanted to pass it along: "The design of the Mold on the model 70 stock was a direct replica of the factory stocks from Winchester many years ago. The butt of the stock sits at a slight angle from the center line of the barrel channel. This is not prevalent on our Remington stocks. I do hope this adds some clarification."

Thus, I am relieved to hear this and am glad to be keeping the stock. I am also looking forward to getting the rifle and stock put back together and seeing just what this combination will do for my rifle's accuracy.

Lastly, I am very relieve to see my two "reliable gunsmiths" are still very reliable in their information and advise.
Old February 16, 2008, 09:14 AM   #7
phaessler

Aggrivation tax...

I would box it back up and send it back. Pay the "Aggrivation Tax" and get the McMillan. Or better yet call it a true learning experience and make one yourself. Have tried this approach with alot of items in my life and sometimes feel its better to go for broke the first time out of the chute (shoot) than to have to do it twice.
Ol' timer once told me " Why is tyhere always time to do it over, but never enough time do it right."

Just my $0.02

Oh, and I buy all my stocks from Richards Microfit. Wood/laminates only but a fussy stock maker he is and gets you what you want, you just have to finish it.
Old June 21, 2009, 02:16 PM   #8
Woolecox

Hmmm.... I have one on order directly from the factory. Replacing the factory stock on a Rem 700 CDL SF 7mm Mag. They are back logged for 6 weeks. It appears their manufacturing capability is as lame as most other businesses in the US these days.

It better be perfect or they will get it right back. I will leave scathing reports on all forums. If it is perfect (as is should be for the price and wait time) then I will praise accordingly.

Woolly
Old June 25, 2009, 08:24 AM   #9
Alleykat

Talk to a psychotherapist and get some help for that OCD, then mount an action to that stock and go out and shoot it. Then get back to us and tell us how the complete rifle performs. That front swivel stud could just as easily have been secured by red (271) Loctite when left on the front.
Old June 25, 2009, 09:05 AM   #10
Woolecox

Quote:
Talk to a psychotherapist and get some help for that OCD, then mount an action to that stock and go out and shoot it. Then get back to us and tell us how the complete rifle performs. That front swivel stud could just as easily have been secured by red (271) Loctite when left on the front.
Yes, let's see some groups!