The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 7, 2009, 09:08 AM   #1
strat81

Pictures of metal & plastic 870 trigger groups?

Does anyone have good pictures showing the separate metal & plastic trigger groups for the 870, preferably taken while outside of the receiver? Thanks.
Old January 7, 2009, 09:23 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I bet one member or another is tearing apart a couple of them Remmys as we speak...
Brent
Old January 7, 2009, 10:43 PM   #3
Lee Lapin

I doubt you can tell the difference from pictures... they're pretty hard to tell apart just by looking at the real thing. IMHO there's no need to worry about them- the polymer ones are apt to hold up just as well as the aluminum ones. OPMMV of course...

lpl
Old January 9, 2009, 12:47 PM   #4
strat81

Well, the reason I ask is that I picked up a used 870 Express. It should have a plastic guard. When I pulled it out of the safe the other day, the trigger guard was noticeably cold like the metal on the rest of the gun.

Look at the trigger group, it's got wrinkle-black paint on it that fades to silver where the parts are inside the receiver. So, it looks like it might be metal.

The metal guards are aluminum, so a magnet won't tell.

I don't have another 870 to compare it to.

I feel like an idiot for asking, but given the paint and the variety of plastics and alloys available, I'd rather not guess.
Old January 9, 2009, 08:44 PM   #5
Lee Lapin

'Feel' is about the only way to tell. Some of the aluminum trigger plates are coated all over and are the same uniform color. I suppose you could scratch it someplace it didn't show with something sharp and pointy and see if the scratch was shiny... but if it fades to white/silver, I'd say it was aluminum. Sometimes the fronts of the two rectangular bosses that hold the hammer pivot pin that are visible at the back of the loading port when you push up the lifter show up white or silver on aluminum trigger plates... but sometimes not. It's one more thing to check though...

hth,

lpl
Old January 9, 2009, 08:52 PM   #6
Scattergun Bob

strat81

If you really just have to know, remove the trigger group and scratch the curved area just at the top of the safety hump on the rear top of the trigger guard. Since alum or polymer will not rust, this will do no damage.

To my knowledge all of Remington pump and auto scatterguns have converted to poymer trigger groups even my favorite flavor the 870 police magnum. This trigger group has done very well in 10 years of Alpha tests, and frankly I can not see a down side.

Last edited by Scattergun Bob; January 10, 2009 at 01:52 AM.