The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old August 18, 2005, 09:34 PM   #51
jcoiii

uh?

Just to correct some bad info...namely

Quote:
Police officers don't even have the right to shoot someone unless the criminal aims the gun at them, or is actually shooting in the parking lot
Um, I don't have to wait for a criminal to aim a gun at me or they are actually shooting. That is sheer stupidity. (Let you in on a little secret. The law says I don't even have to SEE a gun. I just have to believe that said individual is attempting to gain immediate access to a weapon (of any kind) and believe they will use it on me or anyone else.

Oh, and in TN, a CCW holder would have also been justified in shooting said BG with the gun to the other's chest. You know, the whole "protect yourself and others from imminent death or bodily harm" thing. (Not that this would have been the prudent move of course). And I may be incorrect here in the following statement. A non-CCW holder may also be ok legally. This comes from a thread on TFL about the guy who shot some second-time robbers who made him go to a bank to take some money out. Something from the local attourney about using a gun in self defense, but I don't remember it exactly.

I do not aim with my hand.......
Old August 19, 2005, 08:11 AM   #52
23Skidoo

Quote:
And I may be incorrect here in the following statement. A non-CCW holder may also be ok legally. This comes from a thread on TFL about the guy who shot some second-time robbers who made him go to a bank to take some money out. Something from the local attourney about using a gun in self defense, but I don't remember it exactly.
I do not think you are incorrect at all. Using a gun for self defense and carrying one in public are two separate issues. They might get you on carrying without a permit but they will not get you for manslaughter if the shoot is good. The CCW only confers the right to carry (open or concealed, depending on state), not any other privelages.
Old August 19, 2005, 08:21 AM   #53
John Ringo

That kind of stuff happens all the time here in Virginia. I've seen this stuff myself. Mostly gangs. Stay out of it.

JC

"I like these calm little moments before the storm (Stansfield, The Professional)."
Old August 19, 2005, 02:14 PM   #54
pt111gr

jcoiii You're not the judge or the jury. You have abosolutely no control over what happens to the individual who shoots that person. Sounds like you really know a lot about the judical system.
Old August 19, 2005, 03:16 PM   #55
Redworm

It stands to reason that he knows a bit more about his job than you do.

Your problem is that you're telling us how the law works without actually knowing yourself. Not a single one of your statements can be assumed to apply nationwide since each state has it's own set of codes on the subject. You're also the only person in this thread that has been corrected on every single issue you've brought up.

I'm pretty new here myself and while I'm as apt to share my opinion as the next guy, I don't open my mouth when I have no idea what I'm talking about.
Old August 19, 2005, 05:20 PM   #56
joab

Quote:
Sounds like you really know a lot about the judical system.
So please give us your credentials or at least provide the source for your information.
Old August 19, 2005, 07:14 PM   #57
jcoiii

Quote:
jcoiii You're not the judge or the jury. You have abosolutely no control over what happens to the individual who shoots that person. Sounds like you really know a lot about the judical system.
No I'm not the judge (though I could be the jury sometime), but I do know what the law states. Do you? If so, please quote the statutes for all of us to learn

I do not aim with my hand.......
Closed Thread