The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 24, 2004, 11:54 AM   #1
Gunsmith4570

Question For All?

This may not even be an issue, but does it seem to anyone else that it is becoming harder all the time to find a retailer that stocks BP revolvers let alone the accessories. I am not talking about online or mailorder, but "go on down to the gunshop and hold it in our hand dealer. Sometimes it is easier to make up your mind to let go of the money if you can see it "in person". At the same time all most all discount houses stock "inlines" for muzzleloading season.

Gunsmith4570

OTTF
Old October 25, 2004, 02:49 PM   #2
RobW

Seems it depends where you are. We have the avantage of the Rocky Mountain Indian Trading Post Co. at gun shows. Everything from Colts, Remingtons, Starrs, Spiller & Burrs, Rogers & Spencers, Sharps, Springfields, spare-parts, etc, etc, at decent prices. The owner is one of the very rare people that has signs on his booth: "please handle it".

You can't do better than check out the real item you are to buy, even if it's a few dollars more than from a good mail-retailer (you have to pay the Nevada tax of 7.5%).

I'm really scratching my head. The BP-community is the fastest growing but you rarely find a decent selection of goods anywhere.
Old October 25, 2004, 03:19 PM   #3
Mark whiz

I agree with ya'll. While BP hunting is on the rise.................all the readily available local products are all focused toward the modern end of things. Heck, 3 years ago when I started my muzzleloading experience (with an in-line rifle), half of the Local Bass Pro Shop stuff was focused on traditional firearms and accessories. When I went last month, they did not have a single sidelock rifle available, No lead conical bullets, few traditional accessories, and of COURSE no regular goex black powder.

And the local gun shows............................ forget it. They got nuttin' .
!
Old October 25, 2004, 11:55 PM   #4
fastforty

Last summer (2-3 months ago) I visited the BassPro in Springfield, MO. They didn't have much on the shelf for BP accessories (no bullet molds, anyway) but I did hunt someone down & asked about black powder, as there is none to be had in my neck of the woods. Seems they keep it in back, in an approved powder storage container (would be nice if they put a sign out on the shelf that said they can't keep it out there, please ask for assistance). I got away with a pound each of Goex FFg & FFFg (didn't ask about other grades as I don't have a cannon or flintlock). It was $14.99/lb, about twice what I expected but I was happy to get it.
Old November 1, 2004, 12:58 PM   #5
Cap n ball

Although I can count on my fingers the number of gunsmiths and suppliers in my area they all sell powder of various grades and manufacturers. I haven't had to buy any for quite some time now since in my case the four or five pounds of fffG and two of ffffG have been sufficient for my purposes. If I do some reloading of 45/70 cartridges I will buy another pound or two along with some primer caps for the job but I seldom shoot more than a dozen rounds per hunting trip if that many. Lets just hope that the current situation regarding the classification of BP firearms as relics and curios continues. Vigilance and proactive stances by shooters is the only way we will be able to preserve our sport from the antis.