The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old January 4, 2017, 10:27 PM   #1
Swampstalker

Casting for the .451 Whitworth

Howdy & Happy New 2017, Fellow Deplorables! (And a most sincere THANK YOU to each and all!)

I recently signed on to receive a precise reproduction of the Whitworth caplock, which as y'all know is the black powder, hexagonal paper-patched bullet launcher considered the first military sniper rifle, and ostensibly capable of reliably placing its projectile into at least a 12" diameter circle at 1000 yards. As you would expect, I'm itching to try this: I've ordered a .451 hex mould to accompany the rifle and am working hard to flatten my otherwise straight (up) learning curve regarding the construction of paper patched bullets. I'm planning on using the 99.9 percent pure lead available from a major supplier and I understand the theory of lead casting, but otherwise I have no idea exactly what I'm about to undertake. My questions is whether there is anyone out there who has experience with the .451 hex, paper patched bullet who can offer any useful tips or cautionary advice. (P.S. -- I believe I fully understand the Whitworth's downsides, specifically the issue of BP fouling which the hex bullet was designed to minimize, and I reckon I am prepared to deal with these.)

Many thanks again, and best wishes & regards!
Old January 5, 2017, 10:43 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I moved your thread into the casting forum for you.

I have no experience with the hexagonal bullets. I believe part of their purpose was to get around having to be upset by pressure and so allow harder alloys than pure lead to be used. Pure lead was needed for cylindrical bullets so they upset to fill the rifling.

Paper patching should be no different for a hex bullet than for a cylindrical one. The bullet needs to be undersized by the diameter of a couple of layers of paper. For a general book on the subject, Paul A. Matthews book, The Paper Jacket, is a good place to start.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 7, 2017, 12:41 AM   #3
Swampstalker

Pardon, My Moronic Side is Showing!

Howdy, Uncle Nick! Thanks for moving my query! As an aside, I just concluded The Paper Jacket, and after taking copious notes, only then did I discover that paper patching didn't enter the picture until 5-6 years after the War Between the States! But I'm very grateful for the advice regarding use of a hardened hexagonal bullet. Can't wait to try it!

Thanks again & best regards,

Walt
Old January 7, 2017, 01:06 AM   #4
Jim Watson

I will dig out the Gun Digest articles on the British Smallbore Rifle by F. Dewitt Bailey II and see if he has anything to say about paper patching the Whitworth and its successors.

It sticks in my head that the fitted hexagonal bullet was not patched, but the cylindro-conical bullet meant to set up into the real "polygon" bore was. Had to be soft for that. See review at
http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?Prod=161945

Seems my head was stuck wrong. Bailey did not have much to say about the ammunition, but pictures of a Whitworth target outfit show hexagonal bullets from "naked to fully cased (paper patched) with wad."

He mentioned that an army field trial did not use "hexagonal ammunition."

Last edited by Jim Watson; January 7, 2017 at 03:08 PM.