The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 10, 2014, 01:36 PM   #1
jim8115

NATMIL powder

natmil.com shows pistol powder ( NR-485) at a good price. They claim it is similar to titegroup. Anyone tried it?
Old January 11, 2014, 07:07 AM   #2
LE-28

Quote:
They claim it is similar to titegroup
similar means it could be a little slower or a little faster than Titegroup, and how must slower or faster? The faster part of it is the dealbreaker for me.

Which is it? I would have no clue but, myself, I would stay away from that one.

Bullseye, and Titegroup, are the fastest pistol powders I will use with any bullet and any caliber of handgun.
If you have a very well built gun like a Smith N frame or a Ruger you may get away with starting at the minimum Titegroup data and working up, if your lucky and this mystery powder happens to be slower or just a "little" faster than Titegroup.

If your going to use it in a 9mm, or 40 S&W, and it's faster powder that Titegroup, (say more like Titewad) you may blow up your gun using minimum load data for Titegroup on the first shot.

Who knows, they have to do better than saying it's similar to one of fastest pistol powders on the market.

Pass on it!
We deal with actually load data, not maybes or couldbes, or yea, it might be close.