The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 18, 2012, 10:58 AM   #1
matts4x4

Please help providing some info on my grandpa's old black powder kit.

I have a box of old items of my Grandpa's. I am not looking to sell it or anything just would like some info on one of the items.

The item is a Dixon and Sons Black powder kit. I looked online but never found any that looked like this one. It is complete with 3 chambers. One for primers, one for balls and the other with powder. All chambers are filled, which is pretty neat.

Questions I have.
How old is it?
What time period was this most likely used in?
Is this a common item found today?
What might it be worth?

Other than this item, there are several old paper shotgun shells and a lot of old tools. I plan on making a collection box and hanging above the fireplace. This is one of the items I will be putting in with some old guns.

Thanks for the help and I appreciate any and all info.
Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0096.jpg (243.4 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0097.jpg (243.6 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0099.jpg (244.0 KB, 75 views)
Old February 18, 2012, 08:20 PM   #2
PetahW

[How old is it?] - IMO, About 150 years old

[What time period was this most likely used in? - 1800-1875

[Is this a common item found today?] - No

[What might it be worth?] - Could be quite a bit - google "Dixon Powder Flasks", and try to find a like one, & how much it sold for, recently

Most are bag-shaped, not like yours.

Last edited by PetahW; February 20, 2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old February 18, 2012, 11:58 PM   #3
matts4x4

Thanks

Thanks for the post. A buddy and me both spent a few hours online trying to find something similar with no luck. I can find the round tear drop style but none like the one I have. Plus most have decoration on them, where mine is plain.

I guess another question I have is, the different style an early version or later version? Second, does the lack of design mean it could be a military version or just a lower end product?

i am just looking for some more general info, hoping to find someone who is experienced with these. Thanks for reading and the input.

Matt
Old February 19, 2012, 12:57 AM   #4
gyvel

Check Wikipedia for a history of Dixon & Sons.
Old February 19, 2012, 09:22 AM   #5
madcratebuilder

Shot gun flask, as new as 1900 or so. I don't think it's worth much more than $70-100. Evil bay normally has about 300-400 flask's listed, you should be able to find the same model.
Old February 20, 2012, 07:03 PM   #6
PetahW

I found another, with a body shape like yours - it is properly called a Pistol Flask.

http://www.finesportingcollectablesltd.co.uk/pflask.htm

The asking price of their unmarked flask is about $500US
Yours is made by a known, quality maker, ergo, worth more $$$.

Item Code PF0110, Price £275 (GBP)
"A small pistol size three way powder flask with a top compartment for balls and a screw off base compartment for percussion caps. Measures 3 7/8" overall. Untouched condition with good patina and traces of the original lacquer. Would be suitable with a pair of percussion pistols. There is a small dent on one side and the spring is broken."

I seriously doubt that anything of this quality can be found on Sleaze-Bay, who can kiss my red, round, rosy, rotend, rotating rectum.

Someone with a cased set of dueling pistols, missing their flask, would buy it in a New York Minute.

Last edited by PetahW; February 20, 2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old February 21, 2012, 07:23 AM   #7
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetahW
I found another, with a body shape like yours - it is properly called a Pistol Flask.
http://www.finesportingcollectablesltd.co.uk/pflask.htm
The asking price of their unmarked flask is about $500US
Yours is made by a known, quality maker, ergo, worth more $$$.
Item Code PF0110, Price £275 (GBP)
"A small pistol size three way powder flask with a top compartment for balls and a screw off base compartment for percussion caps. Measures 3 7/8" overall. Untouched condition with good patina and traces of the original lacquer. Would be suitable with a pair of percussion pistols. There is a small dent on one side and the spring is broken."

I seriously doubt that anything of this quality can be found on Sleaze-Bay, who can kiss my red, round, rosy, rotend, rotating rectum.

Someone with a cased set of dueling pistols, missing their flask, would buy it in a New York Minute.
I well gladly sell you flasks similar to the OP's for $200 each, free shipping.
The flask you linked is not like the OP's.

There have been flasks sell on evil bay over $1K. It opened up the world for people that collect these old accoutrements.
Old February 21, 2012, 09:15 AM   #8
Rifleman1776

Yes, a pistol flask. Looks very old, probably collectible.
Interestingly, there is a Dixon and Sons muzzle loading business operating today. Not part of the family that built your flask, I am sure. Just an interesting coincidence.