The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 23, 2001, 11:31 PM   #1
IronBalls

Im considering the lightweight model of the BAR in .308 for hunting and long range paper targets. How accurate/reliable is this rifle, and how does it compare to modern bolt actions? Also, can higher capacity mags be used or modified to work with this?
Thanks yall-
Old January 24, 2001, 09:35 AM   #2
Pampers

What is long range? To me, it's 1,000yds.

My .308 BAR works fine in NRA High Power Sporting Rifle to 200yds, and shoots "minute of deer" beyond that, but I wouldn't consider it a long range target rifle.

Large capacity mag? Somebody out there could adapt it to an M14 magazine, but HOW MUCH MONEY DO YOU HAVE?

Yr. Obt. Svnt.
NRA Golden Eagle
Old January 24, 2001, 12:29 PM   #3
Gewehr98

The military is already using the modern BAR as an Interdiction Rifle, in .300 Winchester Magnum. It's heavily reworked, with a 10-round detachable magazine, McMillan one-piece stock, and heavy contour stainless steel barrel. This is the steel-receivered BAR, not the alloy lightweight variant. It's seen limited use in Bosnia and Serbia, spanning the gap between the .308 bolt guns, and the .50 caliber Brownings.
Old January 24, 2001, 04:44 PM   #4
BigG

Ok, I give up...

what is an interdiction rifle?
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old January 24, 2001, 05:20 PM   #5
Gewehr98

Probably a politically-correct term for a sniper rifle. THe idea was to have a sniper-grade rifle with quick repeatability of shots to engage multiple targets (like the Bosnian snipers in the apartment complexes). Interdiction of targets, per se.

ArmsTech in Arizona was the contractor, but McMillan no longer offers their custom A2 stock configured for the BAR action. I was all ready to build my own variant, using a beat up older .300 Win Mag BAR, but may have to wait until I find a suitable stock.
Old January 25, 2001, 12:13 PM   #6
IronBalls

thanks for the help guys, i dont think the BAR will end up suiting my needs if accuracy and power falls off after 200yeards. Thanks for the advice
Old January 25, 2001, 11:49 PM   #7
ehenz

"INTERDICTION RIFLE", I like that term. I will use it three time today in a sentence, I promise. What a world we live in?
Old January 27, 2001, 05:07 AM   #8
Daryl Douthat

I have a BAR Lightweight 338. Carry it all over the place. It shoots at least as accurately as my bolt action 338's and I prefer it for bear protection. Have a Bell and Carlson stock on it, 1.5x5 Leupold and use factory Nosler 250 grain ammo. Won't leave home without it.