The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 30, 2009, 03:05 PM   #1
JohnH1963

Special Forces Training Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzHqqTmSnC0

I thought this was a cool video. I especially liked the part with the soldier demonstrating the effectiveness of the 1911. He shot 2-3 clips rapid fire quickly re-loading. However, my favorite part was the entry team coming in and shooting the bad guys. The instructor was used as a live hostage. You can see the bullets flying past the instructors head and into the manikans.
Old December 31, 2009, 08:18 AM   #2
Clay

Ft Bragg... 20 miles down the road from me. Cool vid!
Old December 31, 2009, 10:10 AM   #3
jaysouth

Not quite sure what the purpose of the video is or who blessed it.

There are a couple of very glaring discrepancies.

The turret gunner on the MRAP in the early part of the video is someone that I personally know and not a member of whatever unit you are incorrectly calling Delta Force.
Old December 31, 2009, 10:16 AM   #4
JohnRaven

1911's don't use ''clips'', sorry... This has been beat to DEATH and yet...
Clips vs. Magazines... There IS a difference...

I think people watch wayyy too much TV...

ANYWAYS.... Very cool video, its nice to see the pro's in action
Old December 31, 2009, 11:20 AM   #5
BlueTrain

If you want to avoid confusion, could you please move the rotary magazine at the bottom of the left hand column into the column with the other magazines.
Buy War Bonds.
Old December 31, 2009, 11:25 AM   #6
NRAhab

That's not a rotary mag, it's a pair of of .45 ACP moonclips in a bladetech double moonclip holder.
Old December 31, 2009, 12:09 PM   #7
45Gunner

Cowabung Dude. Just another day in my old hood. There are those of us that have and then again there are those of us that have not. If you love stuff like in this video, get out there and join the military, as a lot of us did. Never heard the rock music during a mission, only CCR during the ride to the LZ. Shooting, destroying, killing, and watching friends get killed is not what some may think it is cracked up to be. Happy to be a PFC...Proud (fill in the blank) Civilian once again. And happy to have served...been there, done that.
NRA Life Member
Old December 31, 2009, 12:11 PM   #8
BlueTrain

You had me fooled.
Buy War Bonds.
Old December 31, 2009, 12:49 PM   #9
JohnH1963

I thought this was an interesting video. I dont know what units the soldiers are in or if they are in fact Delta Force. The point is to demonstrate how certain people train. The unit in the video trained with real live humans used as the hostages and live ammo in the entry room. I definately feel a little safer after seeing this video. It is very intense and demonstrates some of the tactics used.

I know most regular soldiers do not train this way. The bulk of most soldiers training is just sitting around and is in no way like this. I wish every soldier would have the benefit of this type of training.

For my own information, what is the armored vehicle that is ramming the cars in the video.
Old December 31, 2009, 09:39 PM   #10
Double Naught Spy

Yeah, I liked the 1911 shooter near the beginning of the video as well. I didn't know Delta force shot smokey lead reloads. Okay, I don't know if they are reloads, but that has to be some of the smokiest military ball ammo I have seen except for the older corrosive RNL ball ammo. Note the lack of muzzle flip. Looks like light loads to me.

Notice later at about 5:10, there is another guy shooting and his pistol has a lot more recoil/muzzle flip and a LOT LESS smoke.
Old December 31, 2009, 10:26 PM   #11
hoytinak

Some of the guys will take their reloads out to the range to play with. As for using the live hostage..."train like you fight". For those familar with Bragg, we used to go downtown Fayetteville (by the cirlce or Cloud 9 ) and train down there with live rounds. We had preset targets with backstops setup for the snipers....about as real training as you could get back home. Man, watching that video does make you miss it but I'm also glad I'm done with it.
Old January 2, 2010, 12:44 AM   #12
Lee Lapin

I wish every soldier would have the benefit of this type of training.

Sure, no problem. Just convince everybody out there to go get a couple of part-time jobs, and then pay 100% of their income in taxes.

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old January 2, 2010, 11:53 AM   #13
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Some of the guys will take their reloads out to the range to play with.
Then is the guy really demonstrating the effectiveness of the 1911 (since Delta is a combat force) by using light loaded rounds as claimed in the OP? No.

Quote:
As for using the live hostage..."train like you fight".
Then you need to train with a live bad guy.

I don't know about y'all, but I fail to see how this is any sort of training video. It is just a glam rocknroll video of some things soldiers do, a lot of which apparently shows formal training, some in country action, and some non-formal training or goofing around. It really seems no different than any of the other glam rocknroll videos put out by soldiers (and others) of training and action.
Old January 2, 2010, 11:59 AM   #14
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

DNS,

I don't think they meant "training video" the way you think they meant "training video".

I did not take it as a video intended to train the viewer in the sooper-seekrit death ninjustsu of SFOD-D, but rather a video with footage of some specops guys, who may or may not be SFOD-D, engaged in training-type activities.
Old January 4, 2010, 07:00 PM   #15
Hondo11

Quote:
Yeah, I liked the 1911 shooter near the beginning of the video as well. I didn't know Delta force shot smokey lead reloads. Okay, I don't know if they are reloads, but that has to be some of the smokiest military ball ammo I have seen except for the older corrosive RNL ball ammo. Note the lack of muzzle flip. Looks like light loads to me.
Probably game reloads. An old coworker of mine has shot IPSC with/against that guy. Says he pretty good, although he shoots more "combat/practical" style than a "race/competition" style. Notice his reloads...not your typical race-gun type shooting.