The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 10, 2009, 11:28 AM   #1
PAHOGHUNTER

221 Fireball

I recently saw for sale a bolt action rifle for sale in 221 Fireball. The listing said it started out as a 223 cal. and that the original barrel was used. I'm not sure how this works the chamber had to be shortened and them reamed? Does this make sense?
Old August 10, 2009, 12:15 PM   #2
Scorch

Yes, that is a pretty straightforward way of chambering a rifle for a shorter cartridge: cut the threads off, thread/chamber, and put the barrel back on. As long as the barrel is good, it should be fine.
Old August 27, 2009, 03:16 AM   #3
Bowes

Ironic

Isn't it ironic that the venerable 222 is talked about as yesterday's bubblegum in other posts, and the 221 Fireball is the toast of the town? Your Fireball and the 222 are far too close to split hairs over, although advantage goes to the 222. And the difference between the 223 and 222 is also small, but the 223 is a little better at everything, although its neck is a little short.
Factoid:
The 30-06 is arguably a perfect design. The 222 Rem dimensions were originally determined by reverse projecting a 30-06 image down to 22 caliber. Both are the epitome of efficiency. Your 221 relates to the 222 like the 308 does to the '06. They're all excellent. Just beware of gunwriters' hype about "great" new cartridges.
Old October 1, 2009, 04:23 PM   #4
medicdave

Just the thing I was looking for! Does a Browning A-bolt in 223 have enough shank to set back and rechamber to fireball? I already have varmint rifles in Hornet and 223 on the platform and would like to get a sporter weight converted to fireball as another walking varminter. Thanks Dave
Old October 25, 2009, 11:30 AM   #5
Viper225

I picked up a Remington Light Stainless Fluted Varmint in 221 Fireball within the last couple years. A strong point, or so I thought was noise. being a fair amount smaller than a 223, I thought it would be less noisy. WRONG alteast using LIL GUN
Good Points: It shoots great, and is fairly light, and doesn't use much powder.
Not So Good Points: Brass is a pain to come up with most of the time.

Bob