The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 7, 2009, 08:06 AM   #1
shooter mcgavin

knoxx specops and action release for mossberg 590

i iinstalled my specops yesterday on my 590, i like the look and feel and i knew about the difficulty in reaching the action release with the pistol grip. i was wondering if anyone knows any way to make the action release more accessible? is there any aftermarket parts for that? if knoxx could somehow integrate a lever on the pistol grip that would engage the action release that would be ideal.
Old October 7, 2009, 08:21 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Shooter, With an AR style and the PGO, I learned to just roll my right hand over the top and use my thumb tip to operate the release tab. Became smooth second nature operation...
Brent
Old October 7, 2009, 01:32 PM   #3
shooter mcgavin

well i decided to send the spec ops back to midway to swap it out with the compstock. if i had alien length fingers the specops would be fine but i have average size hands and i dont want to alter my grip and possibly lose my sight picture just to chamber a shell. a traditional shaped stock will fullfill my needs the best with my mossberg. the remington might be different though. guess i should have listened to other posts regarding this problem.
Old October 7, 2009, 01:35 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
guess i should have listened to other posts regarding this problem.
with only one or 2 replies, this is not always best but when a thread gets a 10 or 20 to 1 ratio for an item... you gotta wonder Many of us have BTDT and really try to share before others waste their money... I have a PGO grip and bolt in my gun parts bin...
Brent
Old October 7, 2009, 02:07 PM   #5
shooter mcgavin

yeah i searched prior to buying and read all the threads regarding the same issue i had, but i just HAD to try it. luckily i can swap it out no problem going through midway
Old October 7, 2009, 08:35 PM   #6
jgcoastie

+1 for Midway's customer service. I've had nothing but top-notch experiences with them...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old October 12, 2009, 01:08 AM   #7
12GaugeLosAngeles

I found using your firing hand thumb under the gun to reach the release suits the best... since to only other option is the support hand releasing it after turning the gun 90 degrees... Man you should seen the workers at my local shooting range "La Gun Club" when none of them could work the slide release cause they couldn't see it, nor activate it... in the good side, an intruder that grabs your shotgun won't be able to use it off the bat, cool huh. Knoxx stocks rocks my socks, no wonder Blackhawk USA bought them out, millionaire idea!