The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 7, 2008, 03:34 PM   #1
jheitertusa

Anyone use a Lead Sled?

I was looking for a good shooting rest for my 12 gauge slug gun and my muzzleloader.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Lead Sled, pros/cons?

Was it durable?
Old December 7, 2008, 11:05 PM   #2
Big Caliber

A buddy of mine has one. But he uses it on the smaller rifle calibers such as 223, 22-250, and 243. He let me try it...a VERY steady rest that is easy to adjust for both windage and elevation. I'm thinking of getting one for load development though I have seen write-ups that claim, in effect, a given load may group differently shot from the rest as opposed to shooting from a bag because the rest may affect recoil. But I don't know. Just my $0.02.
Old December 7, 2008, 11:48 PM   #3
sholling

I use mine for sighting in scopes. Especially with magnum calibers.
Old December 8, 2008, 12:00 AM   #4
HAMMER1DOWN

Yeah they are a great rest, my folks got me one for christmas last year and now i don't even think about going to the range without it. they are even better if you add about 40 pounds to it, my buddies 300 win. mag doesn't even make it twitch.
for sure spend the money on one...
Old December 8, 2008, 01:18 PM   #5
indy245

I borrowed one from a friend to sight in my .300 WM. It really reduced recoil, I sighted in my gun and thought since I had it I might as well sight in my .338 WM. This was after last years hunting season. At the start of this year I checked zero and both my guns shot to the left by three inches. I find it kinda odd that they both were out by the same amount. With the lead sled I was spot on.

I'm not sure why it worked out the way it did or what I did wrong. I was shooting at 100 yards from a spot level with the target.

The one I used seem to be built good. The up/down adjustment screw was weak, I'm not sure how much abuse the sled had seen but that seemed to be the weak part, which would be an easy fix.

Indy.

Last edited by indy245; December 8, 2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old December 8, 2008, 04:28 PM   #6
UniversalFrost

the lead sleds work well, but you do not want to use them continuously with your firearms. The recoil of your gun is meant to travel through the stock and be dispersed into you the shooter. if your stock/gun is forced to absord the recoil continuously then things like cracks in the stock will develop. also the issue with your scope being off is related to you the shooter and how you flinch. each person shoots differently and when you zero a scope for one person it may not be zero for another even though it is on the same gun shooting the same loads.

your lead sled just takes the shooter out of the equation.

I have one of the origianl models and love it for load work up on my ultra mags and my 416 rigby. only problem I had was when I tried to put my surgeon in .338 lapua in the rig it would not fit, but this was due to the design of the buttstock being too wide. my rem 700 in .338 lapua with a mcmillan a5 stock fits fine as do all my other guns.

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old December 8, 2008, 04:33 PM   #7
jheitertusa

I wonder if I would be better off with something like this?

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...TOKEN=21678385

or this?

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...698&t=11082005

I'm guessing they might be easier to carry to the range and a bit more versatile... I don't shoot anything bigger than a 12 gauge with slugs and my muzzleloader.
Old December 8, 2008, 05:14 PM   #8
wpcexpert

I got a cheap knock-off from Sportsmans Guide. It does a good job with recoil but still allows the rifle to move, but just not so hard into my shoulder. It has been good. Now it is not near as fancy and frendly as Coldwell's but is very practical. I recommend it.

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=359174
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old December 12, 2008, 01:16 AM   #9
Big Caliber

Maybe try: Dog Gone Good.com, for an alternative rest.