The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 13, 2018, 10:27 PM   #1
moodorf

Considering a Marlin 1895GBL...

Hi guys! wow....it's been a year and a half since I last posted on here...time flies....

Anyway, I'm considering picking up a Marlin 1895GBL in 45-70. I was browsing my local shop and was impressed with its finish and feel. I had a few questions about it, but I figured I'd ask someone who isn't a salesman (you guys) for an honest opinion (or two or twelve)

The questions being:

1. How much recoil will this rifle have? I've never owned anything in 45-70, but I hear it packs a wallop, recoil-wise. How would it compare against say...a Mosin M38/M44 carbine? more recoil? less? How about a 12 gauge with 3 inch shells?

2. I realize the big loop handle is great for gloved use, but has anyone ever had trouble with stuff (twigs/branches) getting caught in the XL-sized lever loop while maneuvering through heavy brush? This is probably a silly question

3. I've read that people who are inexperienced with loading this rifle may find themselves pinching their fingers in the loading gate when feeding bullets, but that a little technique when loading it can prevent this. Should this even be a concern for me?

Before posting a reply: while I appreciate everyone's input on this subject, can we please not turn this thread into another "Henry vs Marlin" thread? To me that whole argument just seems to be the same as coke vs pepsi, chevy vs ford, etc. I'm sure the Henry 45-70 is a great gun and all but I don't care for loading bullets from the muzzle end of the tube mag, even if the loading gate on the 1895GBL can be a bit tricky at first. Also, I am aware that after Remington bought Marlin the quality of their rifles dropped for a few years, and this hasn't dissuaded me.

Thanks for the input guys!

Last edited by moodorf; May 13, 2018 at 10:49 PM.
Old May 13, 2018, 10:39 PM   #2
3Crows

I have a REP Marlin 1895 SBL. Loaded with Buffolo Bore, Garret or even the HMS Bear Load, all +P ammo, when you pull the trigger it will hurt on both ends. With HMS Cowboy it will lay low just about anything and the kick is manageable, more of a hard push.

My rifle is a 2016. It is my favorite rifle of all time. Great fun to shoot with mild loads (I load down even below 1000 FPS for plinking with Trail Boss and 405gr MBC cast lead), 1300 FPS for hunting with the same bullets and working on some heavy 420 grain loads. The SBL is very accurate and cloverleaf groups near touching at 100 yards are common and expected. The big loop lever is not a problem and I like the cross bolt safety that all Marlins have had for decades.

The loading gate will not pinch you if you smooth the gate and pre-bend it a little. Ranger Point Precision has a new low effort gate BTW. To pre-bend the gate, remove it and just bend it a little. To smooth the gate entry I used 1000/1200 grit wet dry paper over a steel rod. Just clean the inside edge of the receiver gate a tiny bit. Same on the gate itself. I do this on all four of my Marlins, two JM, two REP. One of my JMs still nips me so I need to get a little more time with it to work it some rainy day.

Expensive but the WWG Happy Trigger is superb. You get a target, or near so, grade trigger and no more Marlin Trigger Flop.

Burris 2.75X Scout on low Warne Maxima QD rings, WWG Happy Trigger and WWG Bear Claw extractor, WWG follower, RPP lever screw, smoothing and tuning by me, accurizing and reliability by me, Galco ammo cuff, Montana sling.

The SBL served me in Alaska back some months ago. It was carried expressly for protection during several multi-day solo hikes and walkabouts. It got wet, it got dirty, it got muddy and functioned perfectly. Fortunately the only thing I had to shoot was a few rocks and stumps for fun .

Edit to add, the MOF site has a few individuals who are on a vendetta against REP rifles. Just take what you hear on the web with some understanding that some of it is for selfish purpose.

3C

Last edited by 3Crows; May 13, 2018 at 10:58 PM.
Old May 13, 2018, 10:47 PM   #3
moodorf

that's a purdy gun

EDIT: ok I'll admit it--I don't know what REP or MOF mean. I tried to google "REP Marlin" and they think I'm looking up a politician

Last edited by moodorf; May 13, 2018 at 10:57 PM.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:03 PM   #4
3Crows

Let me add another bit. I had a Nikon African 1X4 scope, a generous 4 inches eye relief, on Warne medium Maxima QD rings. This cleared my ghost sight and all worked well. But, with the +P loads it would try to smack my eyebrow and came close several times. A fairly light rifle and elephant power level loads, African scope or not, is just not enough eye relief IMO. Maybe for relaxed plinking, but in a dire situation, I might forget and the results could be bad, more than stitches I might say if it is a bear coming in angry. The Burris Scout fixes that and still allows me to get fast on target with both eyes open.

And, BTW, the 336SS REP rifle below is the best shooting 336 I have ever owned though my new to me 336T pre-CBS will give it a run and may yet best it at the range.

3C

Last edited by 3Crows; May 13, 2018 at 11:11 PM.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:16 PM   #5
3Crows

REP stamp made by Remington/Marlin, JM stamp by pre-Remington, Marlin. MOF is the forum that comes up on top if you search for Marlin forums. The JM stamp is usually found on the right side of the barrel just ahead of the receiver. The REP stamp is found on my rifles on the right side barrel ahead of the receiver. JM rifles usually have the serial on the top tang, Remington Marlins on the left lower, forward receiver, also an etched code. On a Remington Marlin the date code is found on the left side of the barrel ahead of the receiver. I think I have all that correct, I am out of town or I would go check my rifles to be sure. I am certain somebody will come along and set me right, lol, if I am wrong. Nothing worse than being wrong on the wuh, wuh, wuh .

Good luck in your search for a new rifle.

3C

Last edited by 3Crows; May 13, 2018 at 11:25 PM.